Apple Announces 'AirPrint' Wireless Printing for iOS Devices Coming in November

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 15, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alongside today's developer release of the first beta version of iOS 4.2, Apple issued a press release officially announcing the AirPrint feature that will allow iPads, iPhones, and iPod touches running iOS 4.2 to support wireless printing directly from the devices. HP will be the first to offer AirPrint compatibility with its ePrint line of printers.
    Apple's Phil Schiller notes that AirPrint will require no user configuration, no drivers, and no additional software, allowing users to simply tap to print photos and documents on compatible printers.

AirPrint will be compatible with the iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch second-generation and later, leaving out the iPhone 3G among iOS 4-compatible devices.

Article Link: Apple Announces 'AirPrint' Wireless Printing for iOS Devices Coming in November

2. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

Hmm. Wonder if it will work with printers hooked up to an Airport Express. I'm guessing it won't since you'd think they'd want to mention that. So, I guess i won't be printing with my iPhone/iPad anytime soon.

3. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

"AirPrint will require no user configuration, no drivers, and no additional software, allowing users to simply tap to print photos and documents on compatible printers."

Sounds like a typically Apple move: they might not be first to market with this feature, but it will probably work more elegantly than any of those other guy's print solutions.

4. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

I need a special printer? I assumed it would work with any printer if it was networked with Bonjour?

5. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

“iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users can simply tap to print their documents or photos wirelessly to an HP ePrint printer or to a printer shared on a Mac or PC.”

So it looks like as long aa your printer is either on a network already with bonjour, or is hooked to a pc or Mac and is shared, then you should be good to go.

6. FFArchitect macrumors regular

FFArchitect

It is nice to have the option, though there is some irony in a device that's meant to replace paper sending stuff back to paper.

7. blackpond macrumors 6502a

Good thing HP printers are cheap... it's the extra ink for all those pretty iWork charts that will kill you. ;)

8. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

No special printer needed, they will just work directly with the iPad. From the press release:

So any old printer will work as long as it's recognized on your network.

9. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Great news! I always use Bonjour to network printers on Windows, it's just so easy!

10. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

Printing from an iPhone. iWork for iPhone coming soon?

11. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

This is one step closer to completely replacing a traditional computer with an iOS device. With Pages on an iPad (and hopefully soon an iPhone), who needs a traditional desktop with a word processor? Pretty awesome.

12. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

would have been nice if it worked with my current HP wireless printers. I'm not about to buy new printers, just for this!

13. Brradley macrumors member

It says started printing at 4:22pm today, but it's only 9:41am on the clock!?

PRINTING FROM THE FUTURE!

14. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Uh... I hope there is some sort of configuration.

My Brother HL-2170W is Bonjour compatible, supports IPP standards, PostScript emulation, etc. It is connected with a single power cord. Wireless printing is amazing.

I'd think it would be perfect for my iPhone to print to. I've typed up things before on my phone and then had to go load up stuff on a computer to print it out.

The mention of zero config and new printers coming out for it sounds like it WON'T work as easy for me.

15. nanotlj macrumors regular

Apple should also include AirPrint in 10.6. That will be cool.

16. JAT macrumors 603

Hmm, grandiose plans. Will it actually work? Printing has always been a mess in small networks.

17. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

That would make sense....

If Pages was like MS Word. Instead it's more like Wordpad.

18. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

Here's hoping my Canon that already prints from its own app is compatible!

19. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Everyone else has probably cottoned on to this already but…

that printer dialog anchored to the printer icon could be the beginning of a new notification UI. You could have dialogs coming from Mail, Phone etc with useful information.

This does feel like the Mac v PC ad where PC says… if the iPad won't work with your printer, then buy a new printer!

20. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I wish all printers instantly had this feature... Oh and it would also be great to print wirelessly from your computer!

21. Brinkman macrumors 6502

Brinkman

Who are the 4 people who voted this as negative? lol get a life.

22. lilo777 macrumors 603

What is so awesome about that? That you will be able to use iPad to do what PC users have been able to do for decades? Is that really a progress? It's a just a different form factor. One can still do much more with laptop than with iPad and it does not look like it's going to change any time soon.

23. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

+1
    it sounds nice but isn't really helpful in the short term.

I need the ability to plug in a usb and print from any printer like i can from a Notebook. If I'm at a friends place or at work they won't have a compatible printer. And even if they had they certainly wouldn't leave the WiFi printing active.

Just give us standard printing via network access and give us printing via USB (maybe using the camera connection kit or a Dock to USB cable)!

24. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I still want the ability to plug in a USB printer, for when Wi-Fi isn't an option (often).

Maybe a developer could create a Print Manager app, which would contain the drivers, etc. necessary to print via USB.

25. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Probably because the iPad doesn't print out of itself lol