Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Announces 'AirPrint' Wireless Printing for iOS Devices Coming in November

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Alongside today's developer release of the first beta version of iOS 4.2, Apple issued a press release officially announcing the AirPrint feature that will allow iPads, iPhones, and iPod touches running iOS 4.2 to support wireless printing directly from the devices. HP will be the first to offer AirPrint compatibility with its ePrint line of printers.
Apple today announced that it is releasing a beta version of its AirPrint wireless printing for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch to members of Apple's iOS developer program today, and that AirPrint will be included in the free iOS 4.2 software update in November. AirPrint automatically finds printers on local networks and can print text, photos and graphics to them wirelessly over Wi-Fi without the need to install drivers or download software. HP's existing and upcoming ePrint enabled printers will be the first to support printing direct from iOS devices.
Apple's Phil Schiller notes that AirPrint will require no user configuration, no drivers, and no additional software, allowing users to simply tap to print photos and documents on compatible printers.

AirPrint will be compatible with the iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch second-generation and later, leaving out the iPhone 3G among iOS 4-compatible devices.

Article Link: Apple Announces 'AirPrint' Wireless Printing for iOS Devices Coming in November

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Hmm. Wonder if it will work with printers hooked up to an Airport Express. I'm guessing it won't since you'd think they'd want to mention that. So, I guess i won't be printing with my iPhone/iPad anytime soon.

Comment

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
"AirPrint will require no user configuration, no drivers, and no additional software, allowing users to simply tap to print photos and documents on compatible printers."

Sounds like a typically Apple move: they might not be first to market with this feature, but it will probably work more elegantly than any of those other guy's print solutions.

Comment

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
I need a special printer? I assumed it would work with any printer if it was networked with Bonjour?

Comment

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
“iPad, iPhone and iPod touch users can simply tap to print their documents or photos wirelessly to an HP ePrint printer or to a printer shared on a Mac or PC.”

So it looks like as long aa your printer is either on a network already with bonjour, or is hooked to a pc or Mac and is shared, then you should be good to go.

Comment

FFArchitect

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
It is nice to have the option, though there is some irony in a device that's meant to replace paper sending stuff back to paper.

Comment

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Good thing HP printers are cheap... it's the extra ink for all those pretty iWork charts that will kill you. ;)

Comment

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
I need a special printer? I assumed it would work with any printer if it was networked with Bonjour?

No special printer needed, they will just work directly with the iPad. From the press release:

AirPrint is designed to support a wide range of printers from entry level inkjet printers to office laser printers. Additionally, iOS 4.2 devices can print to printers shared through a Mac® or a PC.

So any old printer will work as long as it's recognized on your network.

Comment

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
No special printer needed, they will just work directly with the iPad. From the press release:

So any old printer will work as long as it's recognized on your network.

Great news! I always use Bonjour to network printers on Windows, it's just so easy!

Comment

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
This is one step closer to completely replacing a traditional computer with an iOS device. With Pages on an iPad (and hopefully soon an iPhone), who needs a traditional desktop with a word processor? Pretty awesome.

Comment

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
would have been nice if it worked with my current HP wireless printers. I'm not about to buy new printers, just for this!

Comment

Brradley

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
It says started printing at 4:22pm today, but it's only 9:41am on the clock!?

PRINTING FROM THE FUTURE!

Comment

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Uh... I hope there is some sort of configuration.

My Brother HL-2170W is Bonjour compatible, supports IPP standards, PostScript emulation, etc. It is connected with a single power cord. Wireless printing is amazing.

I'd think it would be perfect for my iPhone to print to. I've typed up things before on my phone and then had to go load up stuff on a computer to print it out.

The mention of zero config and new printers coming out for it sounds like it WON'T work as easy for me.

Comment

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
"AirPrint will require no user configuration, no drivers, and no additional software, allowing users to simply tap to print photos and documents on compatible printers."

Sounds like a typically Apple move: they might not be first to market with this feature, but it will probably work more elegantly than any of those other guy's print solutions.

Hmm, grandiose plans. Will it actually work? Printing has always been a mess in small networks.

Comment

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
This is one step closer to completely replacing a traditional computer with an iOS device. With Pages on an iPad (and hopefully soon an iPhone), who needs a traditional desktop with a word processor? Pretty awesome.

That would make sense....

If Pages was like MS Word. Instead it's more like Wordpad.

Comment

gage006

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
Here's hoping my Canon that already prints from its own app is compatible!

Comment

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Everyone else has probably cottoned on to this already but…

that printer dialog anchored to the printer icon could be the beginning of a new notification UI. You could have dialogs coming from Mail, Phone etc with useful information.

This does feel like the Mac v PC ad where PC says… if the iPad won't work with your printer, then buy a new printer!

Comment

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I wish all printers instantly had this feature... Oh and it would also be great to print wirelessly from your computer!

Comment

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

What is so awesome about that? That you will be able to use iPad to do what PC users have been able to do for decades? Is that really a progress? It's a just a different form factor. One can still do much more with laptop than with iPad and it does not look like it's going to change any time soon.

Comment

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
would have been nice if it worked with my current HP wireless printers. I'm not about to buy new printers, just for this!

+1
it sounds nice but isn't really helpful in the short term.

I need the ability to plug in a usb and print from any printer like i can from a Notebook. If I'm at a friends place or at work they won't have a compatible printer. And even if they had they certainly wouldn't leave the WiFi printing active.

Just give us standard printing via network access and give us printing via USB (maybe using the camera connection kit or a Dock to USB cable)!

Comment

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
I still want the ability to plug in a USB printer, for when Wi-Fi isn't an option (often).

Maybe a developer could create a Print Manager app, which would contain the drivers, etc. necessary to print via USB.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.