Apple Announces 'Apple Arcade' Cross-Platform Subscription Games Service With Access to Over 100 Titles

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 25, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced Apple Arcade, a new subscription-based games service for mobile, desktop, and the living room, featuring hundreds of titles from top video game publishing houses including Disney, Sega, Lego, Cartoon Network, and Konami.

[​IMG]

A subscription to Apple Arcade includes access to over 100 new and exclusive games that can be played both online and offline across iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV, and the whole family can play using Family Sharing with one subscription fee.

Apple Arcade will have a dedicated tab on the App Store, and games will be curated by Apple's team of App Store editors. Apple says the emphasis will be on personalized recommendations, and Apple promises that Apple Arcade games cannot collect any data about the user without consent.

All Apple Arcade games will be all-you-can-play experiences, with all features, content, and updates included at no extra charge, and with no ads or in-app purchases necessary.

Apple Arcade will launch in fall 2019 in more than 150 countries across iOS, macOS and tvOS. Apple is asking developers interested in being considered for Apple Arcade to visit developer.apple.com/apple-arcade.

Article Link: Apple Announces 'Apple Arcade' Cross-Platform Subscription Games Service With Access to Over 100 Titles

2. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

3. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

5. 19SK91 macrumors regular

On iPhone, iPad, tv and Mac this fall. Screams Marzipan.

6. ondert, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019

ondert macrumors 6502

ondert

Meh... this is another insult for Mac users, for me. So, they just downgraded the gaming on Mac to mobile level.
    Why should I trust Apple for gaming?? They never offered top gpu options to play games properly and macOS was always behind Windows when it comes to optimization for games.

7. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

Cook wants us to pay him $100+ per month to use our devices. Sad!

8. Bustycat macrumors regular

Bustycat

Without World of Warcraft, gaming on Mac has already been in the graveyard level.

9. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Or upgraded the gaming on iOS to desktop level! ;)

10. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

What? There are literally no games for macOS. It’s the ********* platform on earth for gaming, even Linux is better. Having access to iOS games that have been adapted to macOS will be awesome.

11. WBRacing macrumors 65816

WBRacing

Really pushing hard on their customers ecosystem loyalty.

"Stay a while, staaaaaay forever."

(Topical gaming reference for the older gen there) :D

12. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

Not happening as long as touch interfaces remain the main input, or worse, AppleTV remotes... Fumbling with touch-sensitive controls in general will just never compare to a proper controller or mouse & keyboard.

13. kidaje macrumors regular

So macs with Ax CPUs are coming this fall...

14. Totemsflare macrumors member

Totemsflare

This is great. All new and exclusive games. Apple is giving opportunity to indie developers that would struggle to produce these games. Being able to play them across all Apple devices is excellent.

15. Sparkie_e macrumors newbie

Sparkie_e

Erm.....ID@Xbox & PlayStation Indies have been supporting indie developers to produce exclusive and cross platform for years. This is nothing new.

16. load97 macrumors regular

load97

A flop in the making. Back to 8 bit gaming on my $2600 MacBook LOL.

17. Totemsflare macrumors member

Totemsflare

I never said they Apple was the first one. Just that they’re helping indie developers working for mobile devices.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2019 ---
    If you’re looking for a AAA first person shooter I wonder why you bought a Mac in the first place.

18. Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

Are you drunk or something? There are more than 20,000 games for Mac on Steam alone, including super popular titles like Counter-Strike or Rocket League. Linux has just about 12,000. Plus, with Fortnite, one of the most popular games at the moment is available for Mac, but not for Linux.

19. FaustsHausUK macrumors regular

FaustsHausUK

I get this is a services event, but this would have been the perfect time to announce a controller that has all of the connection niceness of the new H1-powered AirPods. More than headphones, I can see a use for moving between devices - e.g. start a game in your lounge on your Apple TV, move to your iMac when the TV is in demand.

20. cube macrumors P6

Or you can buy an AAA game published a few years ago for $5 on Steam and play it forever on your PC.

21. AmazingTechGeek macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

Right. Else, I’m not sure why Apple would promote cross-processor development.

22. cardfan macrumors 68000

I’m all for it for the kiddo but no pricing announcement makes me think they’re wanting too much.

23. kurosov macrumors 6502a

Paid games on mobile aren't successful because they're mostly made just like crappy free to play games with in app purchases but the developer had the audacity to charge an extra bit on top.

What's left is mostly wasted because of the crappy controller situation. Now if they announced they were opening up controller support for all the popular third party controllers & building a controller layout profile system right into iOS like steams controller API, Bringing back game centre as a unified cross game overlay that makes use of the space iPad/Apple TV offer and that they were actually allowing the steam link app onto the app store then we'd be getting somewhere.

Gaming would be far more attractive on iOS if i could drop my phone/iPad into a dock or turn on an apple TV, Grab a DS4/xBox,Switch Pro controller I already own and play the damn thing on the TV.

24. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

You get a thumbs up simply for the reference. I feel sad when my non gaming wife never gets that reference.

25. lilrush macrumors regular

Xbox game pass is 10$ a month and an xbox is cheaper than any apple device lol, what was Apple thinking?