Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
You're right. They don't.

But I really don't think Apple is trying to directly target PC/Console gamers with this platform (at least not right now). The much easier target market for them is the casual / free-to-play gamer. They already have millions of people playing games on iPhones and iPads around the world. If they can get these people to convert into a recurring revenue stream via subscription that's a huge win for Apple.

Also... Apple rarely stops at generation one of a product. Arcade will be refined, updated, and iterated on once they start to figure out what works and what doesn't.

The casual free to play gamer is not going to subscribe to a (probably) $10/month subscription. They're used to free/sub $2 games. $10/month will seem crazy to them. And it is for a pool of 100 indie games. That $10 can get them a sub like netflix, apple music, etc. It goes a long way to getting HBO, etc. Casual gamers aren't going to pay anything for a game subscription.

They have millions of people playing free games. You're right if they can convert them into paying $$$/month for a tiny pool of indie games it's a huge win. OTOH, if they work out a way to covert lead into gold cheaply and efficiently, it's a huge win, and at least that's a theoretically possible goal.

PJivan

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2015
The casual free to play gamer is not going to subscribe to a (probably) $10/month subscription. They're used to free/sub $2 games. $10/month will seem crazy to them. And it is for a pool of 100 indie games. That $10 can get them a sub like netflix, apple music, etc. It goes a long way to getting HBO, etc. Casual gamers aren't going to pay anything for a game subscription.

They have millions of people playing free games. You're right if they can convert them into paying $$$/month for a tiny pool of indie games it's a huge win. OTOH, if they work out a way to covert lead into gold cheaply and efficiently, it's a huge win, and at least that's a theoretically possible goal.

I would if the quality is there, no I don’t want AAA titles on my ipad, but I would be glad to have high quality indie or AA games that are designed for touch controls, jrpg, strategy, story telling, a lot can be done and it’s a shame what freemium has done to devices that are far more powerfull than a switch.

Reactions: Commodore 64

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
I would if the quality is there, no I don’t want AAA titles on my ipad, but I would be glad to have high quality indie or AA games that are designed for touch controls, jrpg, strategy, story telling, a lot can be done and it’s a shame what freemium has done to devices that are far more powerfull than a switch.

Indie and AA games are available on steam for well below $5 all the time. Humble Bundle has a monthly bundle of AAA, AA, and Indie games for $12/month and they also include an indie game they funded to support the industry each month.

AAA iOS games are rarely over $10 (yes, there are some). There are plenty of very high quality AA and Indie games in the $1-$3 range.

We're talking about bundle of around 100 indie games in apple arcade. Assuming they're not all reskins of the same game and are different enough to be distinct games across a variety of genres, only a fraction will appeal to any individual consumer -- choice and variety is a good thing, nobody likes everything. There is simply no way anyone is better off with this subscription over buying the better games they like from the current app store with a fraction of the money.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Maybe you're right, but if any company can convince their user base to pay for something they don't need it's Apple.

Most mobile casual gamers will stick to short form quick in/out games. If you can get the same emotional investment in a freemium game, why pay $10 for access to a huge lot? You won’t even have time to dabble in all these games. I don’t see the value proposition here.

Gamers of this profile seem to be different than those that play console and those that play PC.

Reactions: DevNull0

PJivan

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2015
Indie and AA games are available on steam for well below $5 all the time.

How do they play on your ipad?

I'm talking about high quality titles for mobile devices, I own a switch, it last 3.5 hours, the screen suck, small and low res, it's not even powerful, give me more titles like xcom, give me some RPG with tactical combat, give me some story telling games, I rather play FireEmblem on the ipad then on the switch, more battery life, les weight, gorgeous screen.

Indies are not happy about steam, why are you pissed if some of them will find some revenue opportunity elsewhere? should we leave steam or microsoft the monopoly? A12 it's a great sock, touch interface works perfectly for many type of titles, we only miss the games.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Of all the things Apple announced at the event this is the one I’m most excited for. There’s at least 5 games they showcased that I’m itching to play and it looks like some of them will finally take advantage of the hardware on iOS devices.

I feel like I’m the exact target market for this, I’m not a hardcore gamer (though I have an Xbox one and a Switch) but I hate freemium games with a passion. This looks like it’s a great service for casual gamers looking for new kinds of games designed for the devices I use and and love the most often. I also like that I can play quality games without paying first and then discovering I don’t actually like them, I just pay monthly and if I don’t like a certain game I can try a different one without spending more money.

I get this isn’t for everyone and maybe it won’t be as successful as some of the other services they announced but it’s definitely piqued my interest which is funny because when I heard rumours about it I was very “meh” about it.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
How do they play on your ipad?

I'm talking about high quality titles for mobile devices, I own a switch, it last 3.5 hours, the screen suck, small and low res, it's not even powerful, give me more titles like xcom, give me some RPG with tactical combat, give me some story telling games, I rather play FireEmblem on the ipad then on the switch, more battery life, les weight, gorgeous screen.

Indies are not happy about steam, why are you pissed if some of them will find some revenue opportunity elsewhere? should we leave steam or microsoft the monopoly? A12 it's a great sock, touch interface works perfectly for many type of titles, we only miss the games.

I explained in my post exactly how well they play on the iPad. Very well. But you buy them very cheaply on the app store, not steam.

Xcom:enemy within (including the xpac), for example since you mention it, is currently $4.99 on the app store. Aside from the fact that it's an AAA game from a top studio and will not be include in apple arcade, the fact that a game like that is only 5 bucks demonstrates how braindead an arcade of 100 lower quality games for a monthly fee is.

RPG...many final fantasy and dragon quest games are available for iOS. And there are more AA quality RPGs in the app store than you could play in a lifetime all for under $10.

The only problem with the App store is all the good content is drowned out by the huge amount for free-to-play garbage. It used to be so easy to find amazing games in the app store. The quality games are still there and better and more numerous than ever but virtually impossible to find.

What apple needs instead of this subscription nonsense is a refund policy similar to steam or audible. It will make people a lot more willing to take a chance.

Reactions: ipponrg

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Another side benefit is that there will (hopefully) be more quality games available for the Apple TV. I have 2 of them at home, plus a steelseries controller and no good games to use them on.

I recently played Grimvalor on my big screen by mirroring it from my iPad via a hdmi adaptor, and it left me wanting for a true native experience. If all those games can be played on an Apple TV, simulating a console experience, consider me a subscriber right from day one.

I guess that’s the only thing Apple can do. If developers won’t port games over to the Apple TV, then Apple will pay them to do it.

PJivan

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2015
I explained in my post exactly how well they play on the iPad. Very well. But you buy them very cheaply on the app store, not steam.

Xcom:enemy within (including the xpac), for example since you mention it, is currently $4.99 on the app store. Aside from the fact that it's an AAA game from a top studio and will not be include in apple arcade, the fact that a game like that is only 5 bucks demonstrates how braindead an arcade of 100 lower quality games for a monthly fee is.

RPG...many final fantasy and dragon quest games are available for iOS. And there are more AA quality RPGs in the app store than you could play in a lifetime all for under $10.

The only problem with the App store is all the good content is drowned out by the huge amount for free-to-play garbage. It used to be so easy to find amazing games in the app store. The quality games are still there and better and more numerous than ever but virtually impossible to find.

What apple needs instead of this subscription nonsense is a refund policy similar to steam or audible. It will make people a lot more willing to take a chance.

I'm not discussing the business model since we don't know how many nice esclusives and the price of he service.
I'm just seeing the benefits, more companies will be tempted to leave the fremium market to develop actul games and more studios will be attracted to develop on the ipad.

We will see I guess

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I would like to see what this thing can do.

The ability play offline is cool. However, like like any other subscription, i bet you will need to "check" back to keep it going. i.e can't keep it downloaded for months on end unless an internet connection is 'required' even offline between friends, which i'd just have to say, "how can we tell if this is actually offline?"

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I'm not discussing the business model since we don't know how many nice esclusives and the price of he service.
I'm just seeing the benefits, more companies will be tempted to leave the fremium market to develop actul games and more studios will be attracted to develop on the ipad.

We will see I guess

The business model is important because that is what will lure companies to leave the freemium market.

The most problematic part about iOS games right now is discovery for some of these dev studios. I think Apple Arcade is really solving that issue. However, it’s in no way a guarantee that companies that participate in this program will make games that are actually interesting to the general public.

Jan 15, 2019
Tennessee
Remember when Apple made cool things?
Yes I do. Things like the iPhone X, which came out a year and a half ago, or the new iPad Pro, which came out literally six months ago. I'm so sick of people saying that "Apple is over!" and "Apple is doomed!" because they make a product that doesn't appeal to you. Everything Apple makes has a purpose, and an audience, and sometimes that audience isn't you.

Adam1988

macrumors regular
Meh... this is another insult for Mac users, for me. So, they just downgraded the gaming on Mac to mobile level.
Why should I trust Apple for gaming?? They never offered top gpu options to play games properly and macOS was always behind Windows when it comes to optimization for games.
[doublepost=1553820919][/doublepost]
But... steam exists... its
More exclusive and u
Got mojave lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.