Apple Announces Apple News+ $9.99 a Month Subscription Service With Access to Over 300 Publications

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 25, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced Apple News+, a revamped subscription-based Apple News service that includes news and in-depth journalism from well-known publishers and exclusive content from popular newsstand magazine brands.

[​IMG]

Access to over 300 popular magazines, leading newspapers and digital publishers is included in each Apple News+ subscription, with topics covering everything from entertainment, fashion and news, to politics, health, lifestyle and travel.

Apple News+ subscribers can access current and past issues and individual articles from magazines such as The Atlantic, Better Homes & Gardens, Bon Appétit, Condé Nast Traveler, ELLE, Entertainment Weekly, ESPN The Magazine, Esquire, Food & Wine, Good Housekeeping, GQ, Health, InStyle, Martha Stewart Living, National Geographic, New York Magazine, The New Yorker, O, The Oprah Magazine, Parents, People, Real Simple, Rolling Stone, Runner's World, Sports Illustrated, TIME, Travel + Leisure, Vanity Fair, Vogue, WIRED and Woman's Day.

In addition, Apple News+ includes The Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times and Toronto Star, Canada's largest daily newspaper. Apple News+ also provides access to premium online publications such as theSkimm, The Highlight by Vox, New York Magazine's sites Vulture, The Cut and Grub Street, and Extra Crunch from Verizon Media's TechCrunch.

[​IMG]

As part of the Apple News app, Apple News+ showcases magazines in richly designed layouts, featuring animated covers, vivid photography and bold typography optimized for iPhone, iPad and Mac. In the Today and News+ tabs, subscribers will be presented with individual article and issue recommendations based on both editorial curation and personalized suggestions, all while maintaining user privacy.

The News+ tab is split into a My Magazines section with categories such as Browse the Catalog, Featured, Business & Finance, and Travel, all of which are human curated by Apple News editors. According to Apple, all Apple News users in the US, Canada, UK and Australia can continue to enjoy the free news experience within the app on iPhone, iPad and Mac, including access to Top Stories, Trending Stories and a personalized feed of articles.

Launching today, Apple News+ costs $9.99 a month in the U.S. and $12.99 a month in Canada, where it is available in both English and French. A one-month free trial of the service is also being offered.

Article Link: Apple Announces Apple News+ $9.99 a Month Subscription Service With Access to Over 300 Publications

2. fraczek123 macrumors newbie

Did you see how stuttering the animation was when he was scrolling on his iPhone?! Don’t they see it?!

3. iDento macrumors 6502

iDento

4. NightFox macrumors 68020

NightFox

Didn't we already have e-versions of mainstream magazines you could subscribe to in iOS?

Confused :confused:

5. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

6. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

7. rcooked macrumors regular

Zactly.

8. chabig macrumors 603

I don’t think so.

9. ediks macrumors regular

nearly 4 years after introduction , apple news still isnt available in europe lol

10. Justanotherfanboy macrumors 6502

Justanotherfanboy

Why would any professional put on a painter costume before announcing the launch of a new service for the most valuable company in the world??
    I don’t get it. I read a lot of the fashion mags he was showing off. NONE of them have foretold a trend of Sherwin Williams painter’s coveralls suddenly becoming board room/public presentation attire.
    Lol, off-topic I know... but it was jarring enough that I didn’t hear anything he said.
    I’m kinda hoping they stay with the theme- I want to see a plumber & a roofer, in full gear, announce details of the television service!

11. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

This combines about 8 other subscriptions into one for me, and saves a ton of money. Definitely not complaining.

12. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

I was looking for a hook to get me and didn't find it.
    I thought it would have to be under $5 to get me to even look at it.
    Boy did they miss that mark.
    $10/month for listening to a choice of a million songs vs $10/month for a couple of magazines I may look at for a few pages?
    No one raised their hand when this price was discussed?

Also, can you say when you start the trial or does it start when you update to new app?

13. canny Suspended

canny

A subscription service for out-of-date legacy media is something legacy media would want… but not consumers.

14. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

So is Texture going to be discontinued and integrated into Apple News+? It’s owned by Apple and they didn’t say anything.

15. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

16. DoogH macrumors member

Philosophically, I agree with the move.

It disincentives click bait, and encourages content to make money off of time spent reading instead.

17. mikethemartian macrumors 6502

The local Barnes & Noble has a similar service for no charge. People can just go in there and have access to hundreds of magazines and periodicals.:)

18. Totemsflare macrumors member

Totemsflare

I would love to subscribe to this but have no idea if it will ever arrive to Netherlands.

19. ke-iron macrumors 65816

Yes but you had to download apps for the magazine you were subscribed to. This is all in an already well built app. It will work, sign me up!

20. Nikodelrey macrumors newbie

I feel like I already have too much media in my life and I am always behind.

21. miniyou64 macrumors 6502a

miniyou64

22. jdclifford macrumors 6502

8 What? Mags? No NYT No WAPO. I'll stick with the free version.

23. uwdude macrumors 6502a

24. LloydChiro macrumors newbie

LloydChiro

They have to bundle this with an all-inclusive family plan of services including music and cloud storage for me to sign up.

25. 3rdiguy macrumors 65816

3rdiguy

Yes we do. I have Popular Science, MacLife, MacWorld and Recoil OFFgrid. Each a annual subscription.