Apple Announces iPad Air 2 with Thinner Profile, Touch ID, and A8X Processor

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 16, 2014.

1. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

Really irritated that the new Mini 3 has the same old A7. So the only thing that separates it from the old is touch ID. Apple, sometimes I do hate you.

2. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Heck, I'm still happy with my iPad 2.

3. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

I love thin stuff...but at what point is it thin enough?

4. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Use it on the phone all the time. Not so much on the iPad. I guess you'll just mute by turning the volume all the way down now?

Pogue said: it's so thin you can roll it up!

5. retroneo macrumors 6502a

They managed to get the camera fully recessed on the iPad Air 2, but it's 14% thinner than the iPhone 6 Plus...

6. tuna9720 macrumors regular

Anyone have an idea when would other retailers start selling new iPads? (staples, best buy)

7. afsnyder macrumors 65816

This is thin enough. I feel like tablets need to be thin to be comfortable to hold. Phones since they rest in your palm could be thicker and I guess 7mm vs 6.1 is a big difference.

8. darkslide29 macrumors 65816

For the iPad Mini 3.. When I said that Touch ID was worth the upgrade to me, I didn't mean it literally! I didn't expect it to really be the ONLY update.

Now I'm forced to think about getting the Air 2 instead. Well played, Tim.

9. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

If you sit on it?

10. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

11. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

2.5X on GPU suggests a GX6650 with ~ 10% higher clocks. So a lot of that speedup depends on games utilizing the extra FP16 capability.

12. ptb42 macrumors 6502a

I have one, too. But, after upgrading to iOS 8, it lagged horribly. I reverted it to iOS 7.1.2 while I still could, and it's been fine since then.

About 80% of my usage is the Kindle app, which works fine. But, I'd like to get the OS X integration, and you need at least an iPad 4 (I think) for it to work.

13. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

The only thing they left out for me was the active digitizer. Still...better screen, less weight, touch ID...my iPad 3 is looking far less vivid.

14. jqc macrumors regular

me too. I dont use it as mute switch, but as a rotation lock switch. Im really suprised more people dont use this and it sucks that its gone. Very useful on something as big as the ipad IMO.

15. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

No new iPad mini for me this year. Thanks Apple for saving me 400 bucks.

16. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

I loved the mute switch and this bothers me. There is a mute shortcut (press and hold volume down for half a second), but it's not as good as the switch because pressing volume up doesn't restore the original sound level.

17. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Had every iPad up till now but sticking with the Air. I'm not saying its a bad upgrade, it's actually pretty good. But honestly I've had my feel of chamfered edges and will wait for the iPad Air 3 with curved edge glass like the new iPhones.

Going out to dinner to celebrate saving $800.

18. mw360 macrumors 68000

mw360

And in its third year it will be laggy and crash prone and forum members will tell us that we can't expect tech from 2014 to be able to run iOS11's new skeumorphic UI because all the drop-shadows use too much CPU.

19. Keniutek macrumors 6502a

Keniutek

Still not the thinnest tablet out there. Get your facts straight Apple :p

20. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

I'm still left stunned in disbelief that:

They have upgraded the camera, which is great.
    They have increased what the camera can do, which is great.
    They are accepting a large screen is great for photo composition, which is great.
    They are accepting its great to directly edit your just taken footage on the large screen, which is great.

Yet (bangs head against wall) they STILL don't seem to think anyone with an iPad ever takes a photo in anything other than sunlight or bright lighting conditions.

There is no dam flash unit!

Despite the MASSIVE battery, and the space on the device, and the 2 dollars it would be to include it, STILL NO FLASH UNIT.

Why does the blatantly obvious continue to escape Apple year after year after year?

I presume, either next year or the year after it will finally dawn on them to fit a flash unit.

But god it's taking years for them to grasp it :(

And for those who don't like taking photo's on their tablet. Well that's fine. Happy for you, but you should not dictate what others may wish to do with their device.

21. DanTheAppleMan macrumors regular

Hmm I'm not sure about making it thinner.
    I'm worried it might bend in my pocket...

22. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

Never used it as a mute switch, hated when they updated it to be for mute, so glad they went back to offering rotation, holding the volume down button to mute is what I use, I use it as a rotation lock all the time though, but I guess using Control Center for it isn't that big of a deal, I'm OK with it, as it smooths of the edges.

23. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

$499 for 16GB??? Same old story. And I'm not paying $600 for a tablet when there's so many on the market that are cheaper.

24. acblue94 macrumors regular

acblue94

Once again who actually takes pictures with their tablets? Buy a camera or an iphone.

25. vanzantapple macrumors 6502

vanzantapple

Oh yes, the billion dollar question!!!

I suppose we will have to wait for ifixit to do a tear down article.