Apple Announces iPad Air 2 with Thinner Profile, Touch ID, and A8X Processor

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 16, 2014.

1. chumps52 macrumors 6502

So the only two differences between the new and old Mini are the Touch ID sensor and the price?

2. webstarcool macrumors member

Wonder when tomorrow the Ipad Air 2 is Available for order? After midnight Pacific time or how does it usually work?

3. betterbegood macrumors regular

betterbegood

4. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Can't they just save time on these announcements by stating that the new iPad will have the same stuff as the latest iPhone? The iPhone should be the baseline and the comparison should state how the iPad is different from the iPhone beyond just the screen size.

5. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Thinner than the iPhone 6 and no protruding camera??? I'm ditching this stupid iPhone now.

/s

6. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

The only time I use my iPad for a camera is when I take the pic of my shinny new iPhone next to the old one.

7. formerapplefan macrumors member

When the camera lens sticks out the back. So we have some way to go still.

8. H.Finch macrumors regular

Why the chamfered edges? The new iPhone just moved away from that... I really feel like Apple's hardware design language is all over the place right now. They should really make things more consistent..

9. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

I know it's only 0.1mm and that's nothing really.

But REALLY Apple you should not blatantly Lie, Live to a world audience:

The new iPad Air 2 is just 6.1mm (0.24”) thick, allowing Apple to claim the 'world's thinnest tablet' title with it

Dell CEO Michael Dell and Intel CEO Brian Krzanich will preview a new tablet: the Dell Venue 8 7000 series. At 6mm thick, the new slate is purported to be the world's thinnest tablet. It's also the first device to feature Intel RealSense -- a photo technology that creates a depth map within every image it takes.

That was shown off a month ago.
    And today Apple say their model is thinnest.

tut tut tut....

naughty.

10. RoccoFan macrumors regular

Battery

Did I miss it, or did they not mention battery life? I'm thinking the batter life on this is going to slip vs the past models. We'll see what Mossberg has to say when he gets his hands on one.

11. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

They start shipping at the end of next week? When can we buy it in-store? Next Friday?

12. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Will more powerful apps like Pixelmator coming to iPad they NEED 2GB. Serious video editing or photo manipulations needs the RAM for instantaneous storage.

13. acblue94 macrumors regular

acblue94

Haha, point taken!

14. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Agreed.
    That said, if the massive increase in thin-ness depended on the switch being removed, I'll take it thin, thanks! right decision imo

15. formerapplefan macrumors member

$599 question in my case.
    2GB I buy, 1GB I pass.

16. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Emphasis in red. The iPad Air 2 IS indeed the thinnest tablet on earth right now.

17. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

I don't dictate what people do. But I also very rarely see anyone using their iPad to take a picture. And, incidentally, when I do, they look like a dork and they are literally at that moment decreasing the brand appeal of Apple.

In fact, I know more people who refuse to take any pictures with a flash than people who use the iPad as a camera. The flash in these mobile devices is so bad anyway that it rarely results in a really good picture if you have to use it.

18. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Not really... SSDs are really fast at paging. It's not needed but would be helpful and place less stress on the SSD over time.

19. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

No one.
    Apple are fitting the camera for no one and no one uses it.

Happy now?

Perhaps there are many things I don't want or don't use that YOU like to use.
    Does that mean that because "I" don't want them, "YOU" should not be allowed to have them?

No, of course not.

So don't be so dam selfish, and try and tell others they can't have something just because YOU don't want it.

Try thinking of others, and THEIR likes and wants. And not just yourself.

20. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

Probably because its a recycled 4S/5 camera. 5S module if generous.

21. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

I like the iPad Air design, I'm glad they stuck with it and didn't make it look similar to the iPhone 6, I don't like the look or feel of the 6.

22. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

Anywhere confrimed 2gb ram? What about on the mini?

23. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

I hope you are right as well. There is such little value in getting these devices thinner. And clearly bendgate has shown that there are physical adverse issues with thinness.

24. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

The Dell was shown of and reviewed a month ago.

25. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

They drummed it up a bit too much for what they have in store this year.

Much of which had been requested and demanded before.

Apple used to surprise a lot more, there used to be a lot more delivery of things we didn't know we want.
    Now I know several things I'd like that I wouldn't even get with this year's Apple tech. Software or hardware-wise.

PS: I'm well aware of the competition and Apple still has the best products out there, so if anyone feels like telling me to shop the alternatives, it's not like the grass is greener somewhere just because I feel like it.

Glassed Silver:mac