Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Pretty much a sleep however dynamic depth of field that you can adjust after the fact seems like a pretty big deal.

This was pretty much a watch event.

forbegos34

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2016
I want a smartphone not a smart camera!
[doublepost=1536802296][/doublepost]
Pretty much a sleep however dynamic depth of field that you can adjust after the fact seems like a pretty big deal.

This was pretty much a watch event.
A watch event for the elderly.... all they were missing was the "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!" line. Where is the cool NEW functionality on these devices, or is it we have reached the limits of imagination and technology ?
[doublepost=1536802416][/doublepost]
100%. It's fairly anemic. Just go to 128 to start if you're gonna offer 256 and 512
[doublepost=1536783704][/doublepost]
not on an upgrade plan? don't upgrade
But they said it can handle a whoopppping 512GB!!!! Wow! Apple is loosing it. Get an SD Card slot already!
[doublepost=1536802856][/doublepost]
Thats one way to look at it, If you ignore the 12x improvement in the neural engine, extra power in photo editing, improved sound, better screens. but yeah, improvements, not holograms or anything
How about we get a smartphone and not a smart camera?

Reactions: Huck

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Actually when I purchase the XsMax I want the bigger screen, I don't need to impress anybody. But I enjoy seeing all the bashing of this model in this forum. It means I should get mine on launch day.

Well good luck with that. Wherever you pull your XS Max, heads will turn and people going to be curious about how it feels and looks with that 6.5” display

I didn’t mean any negativity, if you have the will and money, then go for it.
I’d settle for XR simply because it’s a great value to me.

Already bigger than current X, share the same A12, same RAM, great battery life for not having that huge resolution. I only take photos casually, so I dont need that much advanced camera especially if it costs that much more.

And 128GB is the most optimum storage for most people. Not too huge, but still aplenty in case I need some big files to move.

That’s my case though, if you’d pay anything for the biggest screen and latest tech, then great.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I saw 120Hz for the Xs display.. but no mention of ProMotion? I really like that feature in the iPad Pros.
It's 120hz touch input reading, not 120hz screen refresh rate. Still no ProMotion for the phones and another reason for current X users to skip this generation.
[doublepost=1536804572][/doublepost]
A watch event for the elderly....
You do realise heart problems can strike at any age, right? My sister got a pacemaker installed at 25.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
It's 120hz touch input reading, not 120hz screen refresh rate. Still no ProMotion for the phones and another reason for current X users to skip this generation.
[doublepost=1536804572][/doublepost]You do realise heart problems can strike at any age, right? My sister got a pacemaker installed at 25.

I think it’s because ProMotion still cant be applied to OLED display, so it’s one of genuine advantage of LCD.

But Apple cant put it on XR simply because they want to sell XS and Max as higher end. ProMotion will make XR a better phone with cheaper price.
[doublepost=1536806032][/doublepost]
The A12 is barely faster than an A11 and will be indistinguishable to the user.

What’s surprising though A11 chips are getting hacked just a year after introduction. I mean they used to put it on cheaper iPhone. My guess was XR got the A11, and only XS families get the latest A12. But NO, everyone gets the same A12.

Reactions: ErikGrim

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I’ll probably hang onto my 8 Plus for another year but a larger version of the X (Xs Max) with dual sim support sounds pretty nice since as of now I also occassionally carry an iPhone SE for a business line.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Was curious what was going to happen. A whole lot of notches. A new SE would have been cool.

I'm going to wait (or note 9) until this notch tread dies like it never started.

Pricing is getting crazy (not just Apple now) Make a new phone knock last year models down start the new one around 599-699. Now that we thousand dollar phones everyone will start coping that as well when they should have never gone that high in the first place.

Still a ton of options out there for every budget.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Was curious what was going to happen. A whole lot of notches. A new SE would have been cool.

I'm going to wait (or note 9) until this notch tread dies like it never started.

Pricing is getting crazy (not just Apple now) Make a new phone knock last year models down start the new one around 599-699. Now that we thousand dollar phones everyone will start coping that as well when they should have never gone that high in the first place.

Still a ton of options out there for every budget.

High end phones now touch $1K and it’s pretty crazy. It’s bad because $600 is considered midrange nowadays, either that or swallow $1K bill to get the latest and shiniest. So yeah expect hyperinflation for phone market in coming years.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
You have a smart fiancée. Android is barely usable. JMHO

Yep there’s no competition for usability other than iOS. It has long term updates, which makes our iPhone lasts longer and it’s good for environment. Best thing happens to an electronic device is to be useful for as long as it can.

Meanwhile most Android phones get abandoned after just a year or two, simply because they’re too cheap to get any longer support. In return that makes customers dump them quicker, that means more poisonous garbage for the ocean.

Wish there is a good competition for iOS in term of usability, hardware optimization and strong ecosystem to support it. Windows phone was potential but alas it was short lived.

Reactions: ErikGrim

extrachrispy

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Sacramento Mountains, New Mexico
Slightly better photo processing, faster chip. These are enticing to someone on an 8 or older, but I'll be keeping my X for another year.

They did add additional cellular bands, and dual-SIM, which a lot of people here have been asking for, but again, these aren't compelling enough for me to upgrade.

ROGmaster

Suspended
Apr 12, 2018
Link to benchmarks?
Apple said 15% faster, a general 15% faster.
There won't be any distinguishable performance differences vs the A11 but let's hope the A12 throttles less(that's more important).

Anyway I think A12's focus on efficiency is a good thing, thta's what we need right now.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
So in general,
iPhone XS .. if you want an iPhone that's very compact and loaded with latest tech and cameras

Hahahahahahaha! Good one! :D

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...one-7,Apple-iPhone-XS/phones/10001,9815,10766
[doublepost=1536819015][/doublepost]
I'm lucky to live in Europe . So this January its good bye Apple Iphone hello Sony compact again.
I'm a SE user and very sad to see no SE replacement . i like the small form factor but , well I'm not going to pay 1200 euro for a Iphone XS i have 4 kids and a wife that knows everyting so i dont need siri on a super chip , 3D crap and force feedback. For email , whatsapp, the weather , reddit and make a phone call now and then.
I will be happy to spend less then 1/2 of it on a nice small Sony compact ( a compact flagship phone that does NOT break the bank and be happy with a old friend google again.)

I'm in exactly the same position, my SE is a couple of years old, battery just starting to degrade, want something new... But after handling a relatively huge & heavy iPhone X a few days ago (and remembering all the awkward hand angles and little finger balancing with my old 6), then looking at the Apple store this morning with a £1000 price tag for 64gb base model I just can't bring myself to do it. I took a look at the Pixel, half the price but similarly large so the Sony is now looking more tempting.

It's not that the price is even a problem - it's the value, I can't bring myself to spend £1000 for the base model of a phone with half the storage I already have, which I'm more dubious than excited about, and losing features such as headphone jack (I work in audio). There's just nothing that excites me about it enough to spend so much on and plenty to put me off.

I think the X really should have been smaller than the 6/7/8 with larger screen - best of all worlds and more Apple of old, setting trends rather than following them.

Reactions: Candykane75

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
So for some reason half of the keynote is a recap of what iPhone X can do; things they already showed us last year but which they now promote as features.

This is clearly understood (mentioned by self in MR several times) by most even before the event, this will be repeated next year as well. You may see something worthwhile and additional(nothing earth shattering tough) in 2020 that too will be prohibitively expensive. People probably World have long forgotten this event by then.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
except that the 7nm chip will use less power and the battery will last longer. I think most users will notice that

I always hear these "efficiency" comments from Apple - fact is I have a 2011 iPad 2 and a 2016 iPad Air 2 - the old (in technology terms "ancient") iPad 2 still lasts a LOT longer under the same usage than the iPad 2.

Right now, in airplane mode on standby, after two around weeks from fully charged - my 2011 iPad is at 100% battery, the iPad 2 at 78% - are these efficiency improvements ever actually true?

kyykesko

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
Cool! So you only need to charge the XS Max twice a day and the XS three times a day. What an improvement! And look at the cash density on those? They have never packed so many dollars in so small space! Two trillion, here we come!

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
This will also keep the used market higher so even used after a couple years people will still be changing half a fortune for them.

tf_dc

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
iPhone XR display: 828 x 1792 pixels, 326 ppi, 6.1" 19.5:9, a courageous notch comes as a free bonus.

The most advanced LCD evarrr!!!!11111

iPhone 7 Plus display: 1080 x 1920 pixels, 401 ppi, 5.5" 16:9

Really?

Candykane75

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
holland
iPhone XR display: 828 x 1792 pixels, 326 ppi, 6.1" 19.5:9, a courageous notch comes as a free bonus.

Really?
You forgot that the 7+ is about 1/2 the price

Reactions: tf_dc

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Really?
For me, iPhone XR seems completely outpaced by its predecessor Plus models.
Except for maybe the new CPU (but that hardly needed an upgrade)
What a duhpgrade

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.