Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
This is the perfect year if you didn't beta test an iPhone X. S models > non-S models.

1.5 hour longer battery life, smaller bezels, 7nm cpu, faster faceID, 6.5 inch screen.

This is what the X should've been. Glad I skipped the beta test.

What I’m thinking. This is the year for the people who want a BIG phone, the others got their wishes last year with the X and likely won’t be happy with the upgrades.

applyr

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2015
Did anyone notice how they changed the bottom side of the phone? The speaker grills are not longer symmetrical.

clipboard019afu3.png

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
This is the perfect year if you didn't beta test an iPhone X. S models > non-S models.

1.5 hour longer battery life, smaller bezels, 7nm cpu, faster faceID, 6.5 inch screen.

The bezels are the same and my X doesn’t feel like a beta model, far from it. Believe me, I have experience with products released too soon.

Reactions: Kris28

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
Apple Watch Series 4 stole the show IMO. I still have a year left on the warranty for my iPhone X so will likely sit this one out and upgrade my Series 3 Apple Watch on this cycle. Was hoping for iPad Pro updates, but it looks like that might happen later this year.

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018
That post processing Bokeh is already available and super easy through 3rd party apps, such as Dark Room! I couldn't agree more on the lack of the new features! That camera sensor is pretty much the same hardware wise. There was nothing new except for the XS Max. I do not count the XR since it's inferior in many ways.
And I also bet all these software tricks can be done using the A11 just fine.

I think it’s the first time I’m not jealous of skipping an iPhone. I always follow two year cycles but I still envy people for having the latest ones. But it’s the first time I’m perfectly fine with my X. The design is still incredible after all.

Reactions: madKIR

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
After looking at the new phones, I am probably going to trade my iPhone 7 Plus for the Black iPhone XR. I am currently at 56GB of my 128GB storage, so a 128GB should be more than adequate and I still get the internals of the XS models and the Portrait modes. Should be a great phone for the money. Only negative is the crappy resolution of 326ppi.

Talahamut

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2014
I'm still using my 6+...is it time to upgrade yet? Four years and still no new features to make a new model seem necessary, other than the fact that my 6+ is slow as hell.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I saw 120Hz for the Xs display.. but no mention of ProMotion? I really like that feature in the iPad Pros.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
And I also bet all these software tricks can be done using the A11 just fine.

I think it’s the first time I’m not jealous of skipping an iPhone. I always follow two year cycles but I still envy people for having the latest ones. But it’s the first time I’m perfectly fine with my X. The design is still incredible after all.
Totally! I'm in the same boat! The XS is basically the same X. I'm not sure I'd want the XS Max! I'm used to the X now and I don't want anything bulkier.

NZBred

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2013
I hope that there is a correction in the marketplace soon and these out of control prices are brought back down to earth. They are to the point where they're stuffing crap in to justify a high price.

$2400 for Xs Max 512gb in Australia. That is crazy money. Yes, beautiful phone, but when I compare to my 8 Plus (4 months and never used) that I picked up on eBay for $1000 AUD, there is no comparison. No doubt Xs MAX will be big seller and if I ever consider one, may be the first phone I purchase AppleCare for. Wow. Suppose if you are selling less phones annually, raising prices fills the gap.

Boring presentation. Love the Watch 4 though. That might be a xmas present to myself.

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018

Honestly, ridiculous post. You need to put things into perspective. What you described is the absolute minimum any company would have done. Actually, it’s less than the minimum. Marginal CPU improvements on an already crazy fast CPU, “faster” faceID that Apple barely mentioned (meaning it’s probably not that much faster), the bigger screen comes with a bigger price tag and it’s not like 5.8 is small or everyone wants a phone even bigger than the Plus. And above everything, the X was one of the few Apple redesigns without any major issues. So it definitely wasn’t a beta test product. If anything it’s an amazing phone that came almost a year ago which makes the new ones look old already.

Obviously, if you are coming from an older phone the upgrade is huge but definitely not big at all compared to the X. Finally, the S>numbered hasn’t applied in years.
[doublepost=1536786455][/doublepost]
Totally! I'm in the same boat! The XS is basically the same X. I'm not sure I'd want the XS Max! I'm used to the X now and I don't want anything bulkier.
I think in Apple’s mind the Max substitutes the absence of features but the thing is that compared to previous generations were the base model was actually very small this time the base model is almost as big as a Plus. Also, it’s kinda a negative that the Max is overall bigger (even if slightly) than the Plus.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
I saw 120Hz for the Xs display.. but no mention of ProMotion? I really like that feature in the iPad Pros.
I actually can't find anything about 120Hz on their website in regards to the new iPhones! Even when you do the comparison chart with the last year's X, it looks like their displays are identical. So weird.

Berserker-UK

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Berkshire, UK
Just to jump on the bandwagon of "won't be buying"...

No, I won't be buying. Want? Yes, absolutely, I'm three generations behind now the upgrades are worth it (loved the AR game demo as I remember playing that the first time around!). I'm even tempted by the Apple Watch now. But the days of upgrading every year or two are over. With the price tag this high, it's more like upgrading every five years.

So, it's keep the 6S Plus. $29 for a new battery and $80 for a back-up Android phone. Unlike me to defer consumption, but there we are.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
What I’m thinking. This is the year for the people who want a BIG phone, the others got their wishes last year with the X and likely won’t be happy with the upgrades.
Most X owners will see basically the same phone and think I’ll wait until it looks different. Then again, I wouldn’t be surprised if some actually buy an XR for the colors.
[doublepost=1536787315][/doublepost]
I actually can't find anything about 120Hz on their website in regards to the new iPhones! Even when you do the comparison chart with the last year's X, it looks like their displays are identical. So weird.
You would think a significant new feature like that would be highlighted prominently.

ROGmaster

Suspended
Apr 12, 2018
How can we have more “features”? How can you all call this boring?? This ain’t Samsung where they throw useless features and gimmicky things to attract buyers. Most phones 7,8,X can do anything. It’s the updates features. Faster processor, camera upgrade, faster Face ID, better AR, i could go on and on.

Smh.

What did you expect? An iPhone that can take you to the moon in a hour???

LoL Samsung trowed the same features at buyers: Faster processor, camera upgrade, faster Face unlock, better AR, I could go on and on: fast charger included in the box, a pair of great quality headphones, SD card support, headphone jack etc.
Looks like Samsug's rumored Galaxy S10(which will have an updated design, a much better camera, an ultrasonic fingerprint scanner and so on) will be too much for the boring iphone S year.

Reactions: Delgibbons

Chacocliff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2014
One thing I am curious to see is more information about the improved wireless charging. Does that mean it will charge at 15w now?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011

I swear I saw it during the keynote. Strange.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
I swear I saw it during the keynote. Strange.
You're right! I saw it too and multiple times. I don't understand why it's not mentioned on the official page! Did they use it during the keynote just for the marketing purposes and in reality it's not the case?

PopinFRESH

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
What is the difference between Model A1920 and Model A1921??? They now both have the same radio bands.

Model A1920*
  • FDD‑LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 29, 30, 32, 66, 71)
  • TD‑LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46)
  • CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)
  • UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
Model A1921*

• FDD‑LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 29, 30, 32, 66, 71)
  • TD‑LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46)
  • CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)
  • UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

https://www.apple.com/iphone-xs/specs/

Are all of the non-China models now converged to the A1920 and the A1921 model is the China only dual phycial SIM model?

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
Did anyone notice how they changed the bottom side of the phone? The speaker grills are not longer symmetrical.

clipboard019afu3.png

Yes, as well as the antenna breaks, which are in the new places now. I noticed that in one of the commercials that they played during the keynote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.