Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
easy to predict after Mark said this already months ago...why didn you said nothing about new pencil, or 12.9" air and new keyboard 3 months ago?
I didn’t say anything three months ago because an event wasn’t announced three months ago. Why would I post predictions about an event that didn’t exist?

Nice try doing what? Making a list? What point are you trying to make?

EDIT: 24 hours with no response while MayaUser responds to everyone else. Guess we'll never know what I tried that was nice. Oh well!

Last edited:

macman312

macrumors 6502
Does anyone else feel a bit sad there are no longer proper in person speeches at Apple events. Actual proper demos??

Not even 10 years ago this would have been a proper event in Cupertino. Media would get to experience the devices for the first time and the public would watch online. I know for a fact many journalists would catch up at these events and it was a social affair.

Now it’s just a bloomin video. It was fine when they had to get around the pandemic restrictions but they aren’t a thing anymore. It just seems like a lazy way to do it…

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
but still he called ipads in May
How do you know Apple didnt wanted first an event, and now they changed their mind?
He called March and April too, and changed to May when it was clear that those wouldn't happen.
The only sources Mark Gurman still has today are in the supply chain, and there is only so much you can glean from that. 90% are educated guesses based on the state of the supply chain.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
Does anyone else feel a bit sad there are no longer proper in person speeches at Apple events. Actual proper demos??
I think Apple took advantage of the shift during COVID to avoid having to face a live audience, something they couldn't do with their lame updates, price hikes, and inexplicable anti-customer choices these days. Not without getting booed.

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States

Not even 10 years ago this would have been a proper event in Cupertino. Media would get to experience the devices for the first time and the public would watch online. I know for a fact many journalists would catch up at these events and it was a social affair.

Now it’s just a bloomin video. It was fine when they had to get around the pandemic restrictions but they aren’t a thing anymore. It just seems like a lazy way to do it…
I’ve been rewatching old Apple Events as background noise at work. One thing I really miss is seeing those software demos. The guy in the 90s/2000s who would always give a demo of WolframAlpha was always a joy to see.

I wouldn’t say it’s lazy though. The amount of production that goes into the event is likely more work than a live event, as you have to spend a lot more time filming and editing in addition to rehearsal.

I think they do it because it’s much easier logistically. Because you can easily edit everything instead of it being real-time it’s a lot easier to control what happens, its release, what gets said, etc.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA

I was originally, but now I could care less. Apple can be more creative with the videos.

- Less mistakes
- More creative
- Insane edits

Even with in person, the're going off a slide-show.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
Odd time for an event. For me I’m not updating my iPads any time soon. I hardly use the ones I have tbh.

Still any apple event is welcome I guess.
The iPads were reportedly delayed several times, hence the months of confusion, and the weird release timeframe (May).

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
It'd be funny if these iPads were delayed so that they could get MacOS running on them. Probably not the case, though.

I preferred the pacing and personality of the in-person events. It felt like a bunch of people coming up on stage and showing us all what they have been proudly working on.

The prerecorded stuff just feels like marketing. Which, admittedly, is all it ever was, but now it lacks that personal touch.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
I was originally, but now I could care less. Apple can be more creative with the videos.

- Less mistakes
- More creative
- Insane edits

Even with in person, the're going off a slide-show.
They can also get away with wildly unpopular announcements without getting booed. That's a bad thing.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California

It is a bit sad, but from their perspective it makes perfect sense, and I don't think live events are ever coming back. Just like "work from home", the pandemic opened up a new way of doing things that ended up being a permanent shift.

From Apple's POV, the pre-recorded presentations allow for very tight control of the narrative. No more unveiling the price of a monitor stand to a stunned audience. No more "can't innovate my ass". Only rehearsed, polished demonstrations with no gaffes, no live reactions, and no room for error. And despite the effort that goes into them, still a lot less costly and cumbersome than hosting live events.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
Still hoping for macOS on the iPad Pros. macPadOS perhaps? I mean, the power is there, great display, rumored new aluminum keyboard case. If they won't give us a 12" MacBook with 5G, this would fill that void.

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
What if you grasp it with the other hand? Or perhaps just long enough to be ID'd?
This is excaly what I do! It's definitely a "first world problem" and only a minor inconvenience for me at best. Rreally it is the only complaint I've got. The device has been great. :)
And of course, a landscape FaceID camera is going to lead to the very same kind of critical post for those who like to grasp an iPad in Portrait orientation.
LET THEM FEEL MY PAIN! ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

4pp13

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2020
I don’t see this discussed but perhaps I missed it. Is it possible there will be an e-ink in the line up somewhere here?

There were rumours of a matte screen which most people reckoned makes no sense, likening it to the nano coated screen being put on an ipad.

However, if they were to have secretly done really well on colour e-ink…well I’d be purchasing immediately.

It would also totally make sense from perspective of wanting an event for it and focusing on the pencil aspect. Because you wouldn’t want to allude to the screen for this one.

E-ink is having a popular rise it feels like at the moment, so much I am considering an android tablet for the first time. It would be great to see competition from Apple in this regard.

Everyone dreaming of an ipad mini pro and here I am wanting an ipad mini e-ink.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.