Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today revealed the next version of macOS, which is called macOS Catalina. The company started off by announcing that the "future of iTunes" will be divided into three apps: Apple Music, Apple Podcasts and Apple TV. This means that the traditional iTunes app will be going away in macOS Catalina.

macos-catalina-wallpaper.jpg

Essentially, Apple is replacing iTunes with these media apps. According to the company, the apps will "greatly simplify and improve" the way that users discover media on the Mac.

To start, Apple Music will sync with your Apple Music account and provide full access to music streaming, playlists, music videos, Beats1 radio stations, downloaded songs, and more. The iTunes Music store will remain alive, located in the Apple Music app, for those users who still prefer to own their music.

macos-catalina-apple-music.jpg

The Apple TV app will be essentially the same as it is on tvOS and iOS, allowing you to sync your Up Next list across devices and easily jump directly into your favorite shows. Similarly, Apple Podcasts will offer more than 700,000 shows in its library and sync your content across devices.

Certain features previously seen in iTunes will be migrated elsewhere on macOS, like iPhone syncing and device storage management now located in Finder.

macos-catalina-sidecar.jpg

Apple also announced Sidecar, a way to use the iPad as an extended display for Mac. This gives artists the chance to use an Apple Pencil and draw on their iPad, and quickly jump into an editing program on their Mac for the same artwork.

macOS Catalina is also gaining an accessibility feature called Voice Control, which lets users control their Mac entirely with their voice. This is aimed at anyone who can't operate traditional input devices, and uses Siri speech recognition technology.

Other updates include improved security, Screen Time on macOS, and enhancements to apps like Photos, Safari, Mail, Notes, and Reminders. macOS Catalina is available to Apple Developer Program members from today, and a public beta program will launch later in June. A full public launch will follow in the fall.

Article Link: Apple Announces 'macOS Catalina' With Separate Apple Music, Podcasts, and TV Apps

limo79

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
They need three apps for streaming and buying multimedia ;) Wow so VLC developers are magicians because they made just one for everything.

Deadeyeshark

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
England
Reactions: the johnmc

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
That's a relief, I was afraid they were going to ditch owned music altogether. Which is 110% NOT MY THING, so good.

Just wondering what they're going to do on the PC. Surely they're not making it all Mac-only, as that would be suicide especially with how expensive (and crap) Macs are now?

Reactions: jchilton

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
So, here's a question... If they have removed Home Sharing from the new apps (Music/TV), or if I just like managing my media better in iTunes, will I have to stay on Mojave and tvOS 12 for the next X years, or will I be able to run the last version of iTunes on Catalina?

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Any word on Home Sharing?
Home Sharing in current implementation for those who really do not share much. Like to see more user control. A simple link two AppleID ‘s to a one photos. That sharing photos a two or more steps a pain.

Pleek

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2017
Home Sharing in current implementation for those who really do not share much. Like to see more user control. A simple link two AppleID ‘s to a one photos. That sharing photos a two or more steps a pain.
I wholeheartedly agree with this poetic, yet enturbulating and inspiring statement.

Last edited:

AZMecha

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Someone Provide a status for iPhone encrypted backups and able to upload custom ring tones....

hotstreaks

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
i need the podcasts app for the mac so i can easily listen to Mark Driscoll before i head to work

ReineW

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
Is it possible to change the playback speed for podcasts on the mac in Catalina?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.