Apple Announces New MacBook Air With 13-Inch Retina Display and Touch ID

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 30, 2018.

1. mypins macrumors member

I just got $2500 poorer today!

2. joeswamp macrumors member

You might live in a cleanroom, but not everyone has been so fortunate, lots of complaints still coming in with stuck keys on the Gen3 keyboard.

https://3dinsider.com/apple-keyboard-problems/

Plus it absolutely sucks to type on! Amazes me that Apple actually put this disaster into production.

3. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

I worry the Touch ID sensor is part of the keyboard assembly. This will screw up third party keyboard replacement and drive up third party warranty costs.

4. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

No it's not - the new MBA does not have P3 wide colour gamut screen and that does make difference.

5. Red Oak macrumors regular

What a bitter, uniformed cesspool of comments MR forums have become

6. Mainsail macrumors 65816

Most of the keyboard complaints are about reliability and failure issues.....not key travel or subjective complaints. The butterfly keyboard mechanism has been a well documented disaster, which is the reason for multiple class action law suits and Apple’s current 4 year replacement program.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

It takes some getting used to but I prefer it now to the spongier keyboards on other notebooks. That said, the Smart Keyboard for iPads has a better feel.

8. Amorun macrumors member

I've even tried to notice a fan when they showed that technical render video of new MBA components, but couldn't. :D Will be waiting for iFixit guys performance. Without a fan I would stick with this MacBook for a long time.

9. rellimie macrumors member

rellimie

MBP is Quad-Core

10. upandown macrumors 6502a

Had to look it up so no I haven’t. But what’s your point? We’re talking about a device that is thin by design. A highly portable laptop. One which I have and cant understand how the keyboard travel isn’t sufficient for anyone.

11. Amorun macrumors member

I'm afraid, only tbMBP are quad-cored.

12. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Not really, the iPhone XR, XS, XS Max are the best iPhones of all time in every respect and the new iPad Pro is a serious contender for creatives/architects etc etc, Apple Watch 4 is doing great for the people who like it and Apple TV 4K is simply outstanding in every respect along with Apple Music and iTunes.

The only REAL mess right now is the laptop range - there should be two - a MacBook line starting at £900 and then the MacBook Pro. Having three priced so close to each other is insanity. The new Air just doesn't fit. It's priced so close to the Pro but the MacBook Pro is simply a better machine in every respect.

13. upandown macrumors 6502a

I understand that but for gen 3 I disagree. It’s a solid keyboard with few reliability issues.

14. clangers23 macrumors regular

Does appear to make the base non-touch dual core 7th gen 13" MBP a bit pointless now? The quad core touch bar model still justifies it's existence but for the money they really should bump that up to 16gb RAM out of the box to bring it inline with the 15" and differentiate it from the MBA a little more.

I was considering a base model MBP 13" too as I sold my 2017 MBP recently.

15. nelsonammo macrumors regular

Why does the Macbook exist now? The Macbook Air Retina is cheaper, bigger screen, more ports, more power. Seems like they messed up when they released the Macbook and it was supposed to replace the Macbook Air but I guess sales were poor so they had to come up with this. How long until the Macbook is discontinued?

16. upandown macrumors 6502a

Bs. It’s fantastic to type on. Very satisfing with more than enough travel. You must not have a smart phone. Because if you did your finger bones absolutely would break when sending a text message.

17. Glockworkorange Suspended

Glockworkorange

Yeah, but that price...."sub $1,000.00" my ***. And that's for a measly 128. 256 is $200.00 more with the same 8 gig's of RAM.

I have always defended Apple's pricing. But for whatever reason, I looked at the pricing for everything this morning and I just sort of feel it's getting a little out of hand. They're really pushing the boundaries.

18. Seanm87 macrumors 6502

It’s always been this way. The loudest moaners will be the first to order them.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

Interesting. That makes it a hybrid between the old 13” nTB and the 12” MacBook in that it has Thunderbolt and a 13.3” display, but uses the Y processor. I guess that explains why they didn’t upgrade the 12” MacBook to Amber Lake.

20. k2focus macrumors member

unless apple came up with some crazy star trek tech this thin piece of metal is going to throttle to no end.

21. KPOM macrumors G5

Core M processor (rebranded by Intel as Core i5) and slightly thinner and lighter.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2018 ---
    It’s using the Core M processor.

22. upandown macrumors 6502a

Inflation? Do the math from 2010

23. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

This new Air looks nice but the product line is still confusing. It’s called Air but isn’t the thinnest or lightest in the lineup. I really think Apple made a mistake not starting with a $999 price point and figuring out how to get there. The Surface 2 laptop with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD starts at $999. Keeping the old Air around just to hit the $999 price point is ridiculous.

24. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Surface Laptop 2
    13.5" 2256x1504 touch display
    Intel Core i5 Quad Core (i5-8250U)
    Intel HD 620
    8GB Ram
    128GB Storage
    Windows Hello (Face Unlock)
    $999

MacBook Air

13.3" 2560x1600
    Intel Core i5 Dual Core (i5-8200Y?)
    Intel UHD 617
    8GB Ram
    128GB Storage
    Touch ID
    $1199

The Surface Laptop 2 looks like a better choice based on specifications. From what I gather the Intel UHD 617's are only available on the Y-Series Intel chipsets. If I'm correct that means It will perform a bit slower than what you'd get with a U-Series processors in favour of higher efficiency (On Paper).. It'll be interesting to see benchmarks down the line but I suspect it won't be as quick as the i5-8250U Processors.

25. k2focus macrumors member

yay - thinner devices!!! too bad they overheat and throttle. there is a reason real pcs have true thermals and large water cooling systems. not sure why anyone would get a 6+ core machine in the size of a matchbox and expect it to run to it's full potential?