Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Nuce but should have usb c on both sides for charging

It's funny. As a fan of magsafe and critic of Apple's abandoning it, I was constantly peppered with "oh but it's so nice to now charge my MBP from either side, I've often wanted to have that flexibility," which to me was still not enough of a reason to axe the great Magsafe feature.

And now we have...

Last edited:

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
What stone have you lived under the last couple of years? Stuck keys is the most annoying thing ever. I recommended the new MBP to my brother, the SAME day he got 2 stuck keys.
No stone. Gen 3 keyboard. Ive had it since day 1. Works perfectly. Just treat your computer with a little care and don’t spill crumbs on it like a slob

Reactions: midwestfisherma

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Nice looking machine, but two main issues for me. Firstly, it's a shame there is no 11" model, I really think Apple has under-estimated how many people want a small Notebook rather than an iPad.

Secondly, I don't understand why they jump straight from 500GB to 1.5TB storage, making the high end one around the same price as a top spec MacBook Pro.

Reactions: dan110

Amorun

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2016
Hey, guys!
This MB would be awesome for someone with my preferences, but... let me guess, it has a fan, and a finless design was by far the biggest advantage of rMB for me for more than three years now.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
Just ordered for next week delivery! That's the way to release a product Apple.

The store opened for me as soon as Tim walked off stage! Perfect timing.

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I went to check out the store as soon as the event ended. They still offer the MacBook line and the old MacBook Air! Wtf Apple. This is a mess. I was hoping they would simplify the lineup today.

Get rid of the old Air, maybe the MacBook line and just use the new Air & start at 800 or whatever.

Last edited:

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
When checked it on Apple.com, I have realized this thing uses an Intel Y cpu. Only 12" Macbook would use that category cpu. So, did they kill 12" again or what? Also, there is no BTO cpu option.

Reactions: Bklass

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
No way am I buying one with this keyboard, it's borderline unusable to type on and people are still reporting tons of failures. They should never have put it into production, but Jobs wasn't there to kill it...

Only Apple makes good trackpads. The old Air was the last laptop made (by any manufacturer) with a good trackpad and a decent keyboard.

I love the new keyboard.

Also, Why didn't Jobs kill the iPhone that lost its signal when you held it. So sick of the Jobs comments.

Amorun

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2016
Hey, guys!
This MB would be awesome for someone with my preferences, but... let me guess, it has a fan, and a finless design was by far the biggest advantage of rMB for me for more than three years now.

I've been considering ntbMBP for quite some time, but my habit to work in a sofa stopped me from buying it, because combination of a fan and a blanket creates too much noise and heat.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
256GB Gold model ordered to replace my 2015 12" MacBook. Aside from the higher than expected/hoped for price tag, this is the MacBook Air everyone has wanted for a long time. The weird thing though is why the 12" MacBook still exists. They updated the Gold color option of the 12" on the site to match this new hue, but nothing else is upgraded. Why would anyone choose a 12" that has last year's processor, lacks Thunderbolt 3, Touch ID, and has a smaller display? Just weird...but pumped for my new Air!

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Macbook at 12" and a new Air at 13,3" ? How does this make sense. I really do not get this line up. Also I miss a 15" laptop in a accessible price range.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Making it smaller is a mistake: it should have a 14inch display instead, so that the overall size is the same. Also, removal of MagSafe, and removal of USB-A is their means for convincing people buying the iPad Pro instead. They want everybody into iOS.

CPL593H

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2018
256GB Gold model ordered to replace my 2015 12" MacBook. Aside from the higher than expected/hoped for price tag, this is the MacBook Air everyone has wanted for a long time. The weird thing though is why the 12" MacBook still exists. They updated the Gold color option of the 12" on the site to match this new hue, but nothing else is upgraded. Why would anyone choose a 12" that has last year's processor, lacks Thunderbolt 3, Touch ID, and has a smaller display? Just weird...but pumped for my new Air!
Yep, I really was hoping for a spec update on the 12. New air looks great but I really want the smallest and lightest.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Anyone still bitching about the keyboard is insane. There is more than enough travel in the keyboard! Let go of the past. I truly can not see how anyone wouldn’t like it or need more depth. Hurts your fingers? Get out of here
Never typed on a kbd with Cherry MX Clears, have you?

Reactions: Yvan256

Yujie

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012

Apple in New York today announced a new Retina Display-equipped MacBook Air, the first major update to the model in several years. The display is the centerpiece of the update, but it also gains a pair of Thunderbolt 3 ports and retains its headphone jack, mirroring other 13-inch notebooks in Apple's lineup. It's available in gold, silver, and space gray.

Pricing starts at $1,199, with preorders beginning today and first deliveries on November 7.

MacBook-Air-family-10302018.jpg

The new Air features 50 percent smaller bezels, allowing for a reduced footprint while retaining the same screen size. The 13.3-inch display has four times the resolution of the previous model at 2560x1600. The screen supports 48 percent more color than before, and the FaceTime HD camera remains tucked away at the top.

It has an 8th-gen Intel Core i5, with Intel UHD Graphics and 2133 MHz system memory up to 16GB (8GB standard), with faster SSDs up to 1.5TB in capacity.

There's a new Touch ID fingerprint sensor at the top right of the keyboard, alongside the physical function keys. Apple's T2 Security Chip is included, brought over from the MacBook Pro and iMac Pro -- it protects Touch ID data, while also ensuring that the boot process has not been tampered with. There's an onboard SSD controller with on-the-fly data encryption for the Air's flash storage. It also enables "Hey Siri" support.

MacBook-Air-Keyboard-10302018.jpg

It uses the same third-generation keyboard as Apple's recent MacBook Pro models, and the Force Touch trackpad is here as well. Better, louder speakers are here, with 25 percent more volume and twice the bass.

It takes up 17 percent less volume, and is ten percent thinner than before, just 0.61-inches at its thickest point (by the hinge). It weighs 2.75 pounds, a quarter pound lighter than before.

Finally, Apple made much of the environmental impact of both the MacBook Air and the new Mac Mini, with both machines made from a new, custom-designed aluminum alloy that uses 100 percent recycled aluminum. Apple says this alloy helps reduce the Air's carbon footprint by 50 percent, "making it the greenest Mac ever."

In addition to the new $1,199 MacBook Air, the old version sticks around, beginning at $999.

Article Link: Apple Announces New MacBook Air With 13-Inch Retina Display and Touch ID

weezerr

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
Hey, guys!

With a 5 watt processor Id be surprised if it has a fan but who knows

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.