Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piblondin

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
You could send your new Air M2 to blaken.com and ask them to make it true black. They use something called DLC = diamond-like carbon. It's a multiple-patented hi-tech procedure which takes more than 16 days to reach a stage where they meet their stringent demands for toughness and finish.
That’s gotta be crazy expensive, though, no?

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
I’ve been using the larger M1 iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard almost exclusively as my laptop the past 1-2 years (whenever it came out). The new Macbook Air looks uncanningly similar to my setup, from the screen bezel, to the keyboard, etc (which isn’t a bad thing as I love my setup). Though, it improves on it in all the good ways, like being thinner / lighter and a slightly larger trackpad, alongside having more than just 1 USB-C port.

With that said, I’m sold on having the iPad (MacBook still doesn’t have a touchscreen nor ability to detach from keyboard), as it’s the perfect commuter / work laptop when docked to the magic keyboard, and equally as good as a personal tablet once you get home and quickly pop off the keyboard accessory to use on the couch, in bed, etc.

I just wish they didn’t artificially limit the functionality within iPad OS merely to force consumers to laptops like MacBook Air or MacBook Pro / keep them relevant. They should just have 2 offerings of different flavors that fulfill all needs of consumers. Thankfully my job supports remote login with iPad and iPad OS, but there are still some basic “PC / Mac” functions that make you scratch your head for why the iPad isn’t allowed to do it. Though thankfully that’s only been a handful of times during my entire ownership period and none were dealbreakers.

Reactions: Lcgiv

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Depending on configuration, not saving that much. My exact config is only $200 diff. Was hoping to sell my 14” but not at that margin.
Yes that is true. Plus the benefits of the pro with the screen, screen real estate, etc.

For me needs I honestly don't need the pro, but it being my only computer I was going to go "big" with the base 14" to last me several years.

My light tasks would work with the new air. However may wait to see one in store physically to decide.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/d...6/6efd6ab0-e5d1-11ec-be6c-b2fe04160b9a.cf.jpg

Well now I need to see it in person. Apple's marketing photos look far less blue than this. This would be disappointing for Midnight.

It will definitely look very blue in natural light. Same for the existing Midnight products. Even on Apple's website certain photos show this:

Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 8.24.46 PM.png

But in dimmer light it will definitely look much darker, even so much as to be confused as black at first glance.

urnotl33t

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2017
Cary, NC, USA
6efd6ab0-e5d1-11ec-be6c-b2fe04160b9a.cf.jpg

I think people expecting a near black MacBook will be disappointed.
Midnight isn't the darkness of the night, either. That would be literally just before the dawn. It's a measured fact, too. So yeah, equating "midnight" to "pure black" is a logical fallacy. It ain't. Granted, "5:23 AM" doesn't have the same marketing punch. 😆 (or whatever time it is... roll with it, folks).

Reactions: zapmymac

urnotl33t

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2017
Cary, NC, USA
Unimpressed.
  1. $200 more expensive.
  2. 13.6-inch (and only because of the notch).
  3. No larger model.
  4. No 120Hz display.
  5. No HDR.
  6. Only slightly lighter than previous models.
  7. Only two Thunderbolt ports.
Just an excuse to raise prices while keeping the very same features of the older model. Typical Tim Cook.
3-5 are Pro features, IIRC. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

AndrewC89

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2022
Is it just me, or does the new Air look to be thicker than the current wedge Air? Seems less... airy...
Well it’s no longer a wedge so it’s thicker than the M1 Air was at it’s thinnest point, but slimmer than it’s thickest point. Width is identical. Depth has slightly increased. Weight has slightly decreased. I’d say they did a good job of keeping it small. I think the M2’s big feet that were added for airflow just make it seem larger than it actually is.

Attachments

• 53DC9D9B-C458-4DD4-857A-EC1E8FB25E10.jpeg
    53DC9D9B-C458-4DD4-857A-EC1E8FB25E10.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 71
  • B258E6F2-8052-4B46-85B7-26A7FC1AD7DD.jpeg
    B258E6F2-8052-4B46-85B7-26A7FC1AD7DD.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Reactions: zapmymac

urnotl33t

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2017
Cary, NC, USA
oops! My bad, actually; I totally misspoke. I was thinking of my 2015 Air (and its siblings). However, the answer still seems to be "yes", the new Air is thicker. That was my first thought when I saw it on the live stream.

Yikes. Another poor and possibly lazy design choice. Ugh. Are the industrial designers just phoning it in at this point?

Apple is losing its caliber. Wow.

• Disagree
Reactions: AndrewC89

AndrewC89

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2022
1080p? Is it still 2007 in Cupertino? A notch? WTF for? Just to make room for the garbage camera? They literally created a bug and now call it a feature.
UP TO 2TB hard drive. I had 3.1 in my iMac 8 years ago and that was a rip off. On a Pro machine 4TB should be standard and 2TB the entry point.
It’s quite literally not a pro machine, it’s an air. If you want more storage get a MBP, it has up to 8tb.

AndrewC89

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2022
Yikes. Another poor and possibly lazy design choice. Ugh. Are the industrial designers just phoning it in at this point?

Apple is losing its caliber. Wow.

Apple has made incredible leaps and bounds in the last 7 years but because they made the air slightly thicker you’re calling the engineers lazy and dumb? It could have been done for a number of reasons, most likely to allow for a larger battery and help thermals to allow for sustained performance. This new M2 model (slightly thicker as it is) will run circles around your 2015. Apple is not losing it’s caliber, they’re killing it right now. L take on your part.

Reactions: Neil Harrison

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
So - there were hands on with the new macs at the Apple campus. I wonder how long it will take for Geekbench and Cinebench scores to make their way to the inquiring folks...

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Looks like I finally can repalce my 2015 MBP with the new MBA! That midnight color looks awesome.
Same, I've got a 2015 15" MBP that I swapped a 2TB SSD into.... Its so big and heavy, unless its on a desk, i don't enjoy using it on my lap infront of the TV, etc. This new MBA might be the one!

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
I was getting real sick of the white bezel apologists LMAO. Really glad Apple stuck to their fundamental design principles and delivered a truly beautiful machine.

I almost wish I didn't need a MBP for my work because this Midnight MacBook Air is just breathtaking!

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
I would have taken an pastel color with white bezels and white keyboard lol. It’s like a fun iBook but just new. Still glad we got dark options tho. Why not both.meme

Frixos

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2020
1080p? Is it still 2007 in Cupertino? A notch? WTF for? Just to make room for the garbage camera? They literally created a bug and now call it a feature.
UP TO 2TB hard drive. I had 3.1 in my iMac 8 years ago and that was a rip off. On a Pro machine 4TB should be standard and 2TB the entry point.

You find another laptop (any brand) of equal size and thinness to the MBA with a webcam that is higher than 1080p.

Reactions: AndrewC89

Frixos

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2020
I hope no one actually did not buy the M1 MBA because they wanted to wait for the M2 MBA. I mean, sure it's a nice redesign and has some good updates. But nothing worth waiting 1.5 years for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.