MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today announced that it has sold three million iPads in the 80 days since the device launched in the United States with Wi-Fi-only models on April 3rd.
Apple today announced that it sold its three millionth iPad yesterday, just 80 days after its introduction in the US. iPad is a revolutionary and magical product that allows users to connect with their apps, content and the Internet in a more intimate, intuitive and fun way than ever before.

"People are loving iPad as it becomes a part of their daily lives," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We're working hard to get this magical product into the hands of even more people around the world, including those in nine more countries next month."
The press release also cites over 11,000 iPad-specific applications now available in the App Store.

Apple just three weeks ago announced that it had crossed the two-million threshold. The company is also gearing up for its next round of international iPad launches set for next month, with the device set to go on sale in Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore. Pricing and pre-order information for those countries is yet to be announced.

Article Link: Apple Announces Three Million iPads Sold in 80 Days

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
Why on the macrumors page do people seem to put negative as 1? Like when they announced the iphone 4, people voted negative, I thought they were good things.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Very impressive, I reckon 10 million for the year could be looking very possible as production ramps up and more countries come online.

There are factors at play that I am not sure about (when the iPad launched in other countries, how many have sold in what countries, what manufacturing constraints have been like), but the fact that Apple announced 2 million sold three weeks ago and 3 million sold in 80 days suggests, prima facie, that the rate of sales is accelerating. However, even if it is not accelerating but manages to stay at a constant rate, and has an anticipated spike in demand for the holiday season, Apple should sell 10 million by the end of 2010.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
But... but... but....

All the naysayers said the only reason the first million sold so fast was because of the "Apple fanboys" who immediately buy anything with the Apple name on it? The sales were supposed to start dying off after the initial rush???

After all, it's just a "big ipod touch". And no processor "x", ram "y" and nerdy feature "z". And OMG no FLASH! Who would ever want such a thing????

The geeky tech heads will never learn...

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Why on the macrumors page do people seem to put negative as 1? Like when they announced the iphone 4, people voted negative, I thought they were good things.

There are people on this site that own Macs but dislike the other devices. There is someone currently in time-out who owns an iPad but repeatedly posts how "amazing" the Evo is in the iPhone forums.

IOW, they have nothing better to do than follow competing products and degrade them to justify their own purchases.

mk_in_mke

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
Count me for 2...

I have 2 of them... Papa and son and we both enjoy playing and also learning...The application padboard is really cool to play numbers and spelling over WiFi... This being said: I believe the Ipad really filled a gap between PC and Ipod... In fact, we gave up on the Ipod... (sorry Apple!). Many great apps, a great user experience, a fantastic machine... Keep on bringing the Apps!

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
There are people on this site that own Macs but dislike the other devices. There is someone currently in time-out who owns an iPad but repeatedly posts how "amazing" the Evo is in the iPhone forums.

IOW, they have nothing better to do than follow competing products and degrade them to justify their own purchases.

The EVO is amazing... but the iPad, now that thing is magical...

jeffereyj

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
more RAM would be even more 'magical'

it would be even more 'magical' if the iPad had as much RAM as the new iPhone. ;)

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
This device is fail...

3 million might have bought and there might be another 10 who are queuing up - but that doesn't mean that device does anything original and useful... apart from filling Apples bank account of course :)

Once device is able to support full internet available today and once it has dozen or so of "killer apps" then maybe, just maybe...

Until then big massive yaaaaawnnnn...

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; Nexus One Build/FRF72) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I wish I was one of them new owners!

Great news.

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
love mine. It has become a part of my daily life. iOS4 will just make it that much better.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Just 'cos loads of folks buy or use something-doesnt mean its necessarily a good thing: I quote Shakespeare himself who once wrote:"One hundred billion flies can't be wrong .... Eat sh*t". :eek:
I rest my case (of non alcoholic beer);)

Thanks

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I'll bet HP and every other company that made a tablet haven't sold $3mil all together. :D

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I have not pulled the trigger on an iPad yet. Gonna wait and see if they do a hardware bump to coincide with iOS4 this fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.