Apple Announces WWDC 2018 Kicks Off on June 4 in San Jose, Registration Now Open for Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced that its 29th annual Worldwide Developers Conference will kick off on Monday, June 4 and will last through Friday, June 8 with the conference to be held once again at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, California.

Developers can register to attend starting today, and Apple says registration will be open until Thursday, March 22 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time. As is typical, Apple will be selecting WWDC attendees using a lottery system due to the popularity of the conference.

[​IMG]

Tickets will be priced at $1,599, and only developers who win Apple's ticket lottery will be able to purchase a WWDC ticket. To enter the lottery, developers must have been a member of the Apple Developer Program or the Apple Developer Enterprise Program as of March 13, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time.

Developers who are chosen through the WWDC ticket lottery will be notified by March 23 at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time. Apple also plans to make up to 350 WWDC Student Scholarships available this year for students and members of STEM organizations. Scholarships provide a free WWDC ticket, free lodging, and free one year membership to the Apple Developer Program.

Scholarship submissions will open on Monday, March 26, 2018, and students will be asked to build an interactive scene in Swift playground that can be experienced within three minutes.

Apple uses its Worldwide Developers Conference to introduce new software, to debut new hardware products, and to network with thousands of developers from all over the world. This year, Apple is expected to introduce iOS 12, macOS 10.14, tvOS 12, watchOS 5, and new software for the HomePod.

Apple will hold a keynote event on Monday, June 4, where we will get our first glimpse at new software products and perhaps some new hardware. Rumors suggest Apple could use the event to introduce new lower-cost MacBook Air models and refreshed iPad Pro models equipped with Face ID.

Last year was the first year that Apple held its Worldwide Developers Conference at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, California rather than at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, and it appears the new location will be used for the foreseeable future.

Apple says that developers who are not chosen to attend the conference and "Apple enthusiasts everywhere" will be able to live stream the conference through the Apple Developer website or through the dedicated WWDC app for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV.

Those who are not picked for WWDC are also able to attend alternate events throughout San Jose during the week of WWDC, such as AltConf, which was announced this morning. Tickets to AltConf, which allows developers to mingle and provides a venue for watching the keynote and other WWDC events, are free. AltConf will take place from June 4 to June 7.

Article Link: Apple Announces WWDC 2018 Kicks Off on June 4 in San Jose, Registration Now Open for Developers

2. MrLoL macrumors 6502

MrLoL

This looks a lot like a mix between skeuomorphism and flat design... ;)

3. ianKent macrumors member

Clearly the invitation creative means that Dark Mode is missing. Amiright or amiright?

4. cansuds macrumors regular

cansuds

5. Razzerman macrumors regular

It looks modular - all different bits & pieces cobbled together ;)

6. dan9700 macrumors 68020

dan9700

7. Marco Klobas macrumors member

Marco Klobas

8. eoblaed, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

I'll be happy when a dark mode arrives so we can finally stop hearing people complain about it not being there, or being skeptical of its possible arrival.

It's become the new 'is safari snappier?' battle-cry.

9. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Can’t wait to upgrade my iPad Air... looking forward to a new pro with Face ID.

10. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

As much as I'd like to go, it's far too expensive. $1,599 ticket + airfare + hotel + meals + souvenirs is just too much on my budget, especially considering I'm not in a programming job. Besides, I have work then which I can't get off.

If I could go, I'd obviously like to see the keynote in person, plus get some pointers in programming. I know a few things here and there, so anything substantial I could pick up would do wonders. Didn't WWDC also have more general IT sessions like how to manage macOS Server a few years ago? If they did, and still did that, my boss might let me go.

11. knpwrs macrumors newbie

knpwrs

We still don't have all the features announced at the last WWDC! Where's iMessage cloud sync?

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I am already working at interpreting the invitation.

13. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

In iOS 11.3

14. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Well, I guess you’re not the target audience.

16. Envo macrumors newbie

Envo

"This year, Apple is expected to introduce iOS 12, macOS 10.13.4, tvOS 12, and watchOS 5. "

typo: macOS 10.14

17. alex00100 macrumors 6502

18. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'm seeing too much here but it seems to me like it's made to ressemble a circuit board of UI components and programming characters. Not sure what it could mean though.

19. Attirex macrumors 6502

20. nfl46 macrumors 604

21. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

It will be interesting to see what the “marzipan” thing is all about, so far we only know through rumours that apps from iPhone and iPad will also work on the Mac.

22. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

23. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Yeah, probably not, but I've considered going into programming.

24. sledgehammer89 macrumors regular

sledgehammer89

25. smulji macrumors 6502a

Scott Forstall is coming back? No way!