Apple Apologizes Over 'Small Number' of Users Who Continue to Have Issues With Third-Generation MacBook Keyboards

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 27, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last year, Apple introduced new MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models with a redesigned third-generation butterfly keyboard that was meant to address issues with sticking and non-responsive keys. However, as noted by The Wall Street Journal's Joanna Stern, some customers are continuing to experience these issues.

[​IMG]
    Third-generation butterfly keyboard on 2018 MacBook Pro via iFixit

In a statement, an Apple spokesperson acknowledged the issues and apologized:
    Apple added that affected customers should contact the company for support.

Unfortunately, while Apple initiated a service program offering free repairs of affected 2015-2017 MacBook and 2016-2017 MacBook Pro models with first- and second-generation butterfly keyboards, the latest 2018 MacBook Pro and 2018 MacBook Air models with third-generation butterfly keyboards do not qualify at this time.

Stern wrote her column without using the letters E or R as a clever way of illustrating the problem -- there are toggle switches to turn each letter back on. Humorously, there are also toggle switches to read the article with double E's or double T's, as repeating letters are one symptom of the sticky keys.

[​IMG]

In an internal document obtained by MacRumors last year, Apple said the third-generation keyboard has a silicone membrane under the keycaps to "prevent debris from entering the butterfly mechanism." However, the membrane has only reduced the keyboard issues instead of eliminating them entirely.

Apple has not admitted this reasoning publicly, instead saying that the third-generation keyboard delivers a "quieter" typing experience.

Stern concludes with a plea to Apple to "stop prioritizing thinness over usability."

Article Link: Apple Apologizes Over 'Small Number' of Users Who Continue to Have Issues With Third-Generation MacBook Keyboards

2. beermode macrumors member

beermode

I hope the next trend is function over form. Make everything durable, serviceable usable with big batteries.

3. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Are you ****ing kidding me? After three years, a $2400 laptop continues to have issues because Apple wants to be different ― nobody else needed the keyboard to be different!

4. rosegoldoli macrumors regular

rosegoldoli

they really tried to downplay the issue by saying "small number". most people who have the keyboard seem to have issues. i have a macbook air 2018 and the "e" key clicks itself twice sometimes..

they dont wanna admit that the buttlerfly keyboard is sort of flawed

edit: read the article and she mentions my "sticky e" problem wow

5. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

6. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

We'll end up with a glass keyboard soon enough... Patents are already in place. It will offer some kind of feedback. Sounds horrible anyway...

7. mozumder macrumors 6502a

Skipped this generation Macbook Pro because of this. A redesign can't come soon enough, maybe with an A14 chip?

To show how widespread this problem is, just go to ANY Apple store and try out their laptops with this butterfly keyboard.

You'll find several of them with broken keys.

8. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

9. now i see it macrumors 68040

still incapable of making a nice keyboard after all these years- Amazing

10. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

Can Apple just admit the design is flawed and move to something reliable in the next gen?

Or perhaps bring back the old retina MacBook Pro to sell as a different range - put the latest internals in it, replace thunderbolt ports and USB A with USB-C thunderbolt 3, put in Touch ID and an equivalent display to the new Macs.

11. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

Apple really ought to just acknowledge that these butterfly keyboards are awful, and revert back to the 2015 MacBook keyboards. It’s crazy. They went from having literally the greatest laptop keyboards on the market in 2015, to having the absolute worst keyboards on the market in 2016, all just to save half a millimeter in thickness.

12. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

The first gen was trash.

The one that shipped in the 2016 Pro was trash.

The minor revision in 2017 seemed to achieve nothing.

But I've had no problems with the third gen. I am surprised Apple is commenting on issues with the latest version. Maybe they do have plans to change it in the future.

13. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502

That isn't even remotely true, and you wouldn't know, regardless.

14. dmx macrumors 6502a

The butterfly keyboard design completely took the joy out of typing on my MacBook Pro away from me. Used to be effortless and accurate on old designs. Typing is now a chore.

15. ijlakw macrumors member

16. ondert, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019

ondert macrumors 6502

ondert

All three MacBooks I have used after 2016 release have had this keyboard issue. Same happened on my girlfriend's macbook and some of my friends had the same issue. Are you calling this "small number"?

17. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I wonder if this is why we are seeing a rumour from Ming Chi Kuo that states Apple will be redesigning the MacBook Pro for later this year.

18. SmackBookPro macrumors regular

Too late for me, I got a refund on my £1949 512GB TB 13" 2018 model... Refund on the £399 AppleCare too.

Mac mini all the way! It took me a long time to spend that much on a device in the first place, it'll take a long time before I spend that with Apple again after the experience with the MBP

19. trifid, Mar 27, 2019

trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

When Apple says "small" the mere fact they are making a statement means that it's big. We know the keyboards have a fundamental design flaw that the thin silicone barrier does not fix.

20. LuciusMalfoy macrumors newbie

The numbers must not be so small after all for Apple to acknowledge the issue publicly.

21. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Maybe Apple will become a company where laptops don't matter.

But whatever matters to that company in the future will be affected by the same lack of care it puts into its current products.

We need a new CEO.

22. NickName99, Mar 27, 2019

NickName99 macrumors regular

NickName99

Loving my 2.8Ghz 2015 MacBook Pro 15.4”. Keyboard works great, 1TB SSD is upgradable. I’ve got MagSafe, Ports, an SDRAM card slot.

Highly recommended.

23. k1121j macrumors 6502a

k1121j

The worst part is all The keys is to not feel uniform when pushed down. Yet Apple says this is normal!!!

24. Martius macrumors 6502

Martius

Heat, heat, heat. The problem is called heat.

Just buy two identical MBP. Use one for just some basic operations like working with Office apps and use the other for rendering, video editing (preferably in clamshell mode) and you will see which keyboard will last longer.

Bad, baaad design.

25. rosegoldoli macrumors regular

rosegoldoli

they wouldnt be releasing any statement if the number was small. dont be fooled.

i do, however, always support macs as being the best laptops anyone can get EVEN with the keyboard issues that are easily fixed