Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

healthkit-logo.png
Apple appears to have discovered a significant last-minute issue with its HealthKit services for iOS 8, a problem that will result in a delay for the launch of new and updated apps that include HealthKit functionality. Apple reportedly has pulled HealthKit-compatible apps from the App Store and is confirming this issue to affected developers. As highlighted by MacStories' Federico Viticci, both CARROT Fit and MyFitnessPal have disappeared from the App Store after being updated with HealthKit support earlier today.

Well that's a relief. Just got a call from Apple, there's nothing wrong with CARROT Fit. HealthKit is just broken and isn't ready to launch. - Brian Mueller (@BrianMueller333) September 17, 2014
While the exact issue is unclear, it is certainly significant that one of the key features of iOS 8 does not appear to be ready to launch on time and that it is having a significant effect on third-party developers who have prepared their apps to take advantage of the new feature.
Sounds like HealthKit won't be working at all this week. And there's no ETA for when a bug fix will go live. - Brian Mueller (@BrianMueller333) September 17, 2014
Apple introduced HealthKit alongside its new iOS 8 Health app as part of a new initiative into the health and fitness marketplace. The feature taps into data from sensors within the iPhone, as well as from accessories and manual data input. HealthKit will also be key for the launch of the heart rate sensor-enabled Apple Watch early next year.

Article Link: Apple Apparently Finds Last-Minute HealthKit Problems, Pulls Compatible Third-Party Apps

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
maybe it needs that extra 1GB of ram after all. LOL. oh boy. wheres my HTC one? That was really ever the only iPhone killer.

APPLE.
IT.
JUST..........DOESNT
WORK.

Yelmurc

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Houston TX
Sounds like they are stumbling trying to get so much done all at once. They should spread this out more. If they spread it out throughout the year we all have something to think and talk about all the time and they stay in the news more. This packing everything into the fall seems like a misstep.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Hmm, only issue I found with MFP was a little buggie when counting the calories. Wonder what else could be wrong.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I don't care for HealthKit's "benefits", I'm perfectly content sticking with my Up24. I only wish it would be an app that can be downloaded (also removed) rather than being stock.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I think this release cycle of a major OS release every year is starting to become unsustainable.

goatless

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2009
I hate when that happens

One of the biggest nightmares associated with developing software is the discovery of a big bug just before shipping. They're past that point, but at least they have a mechanism for dealing with it.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Looks like my iPhone 6 will just be getting better with age :D

But seriously, Apple needs to step up their software QA game. They are one of the most valuable companies in the world, with millions of third party developers relying on them (And suggesting improvements/fixes.)

DaJoNel

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2014
This really isn't a pivotal decision for iOS 8. There will likely be an 8.0.1 or 8.1 update that reinstates the feature. Even if iOS 8 doesn't have all of its features at launch, we can be glad that Apple doesn't follow the footsteps of other device manufacturers and release something before it's ready. It's quality over timely release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.