Apple Approves iPhone 4 LED Flashlight Apps

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 7, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Immediately after the iPhone 4 was released, Michael D'Ulisse of MoreBluSky came up with the idea to make an app that used the iPhone 4's camera flash as a Flashlight. Apparently, he wasn't alone as a number of other Flashlight apps were apparently also submitted to the App Store. Despite submitting his app the day following the iPhone 4's release, however, the app hadn't been quickly approved by Apple.

D'Ulisse contacted Apple about the delay and was told that such apps would be rejected as "inappropriate use of hardware". The developer then reached out to Apple's Phil Schiller who promised to meet with the App Review department to review their policy. D'Ulisse's arguments must have been convincing as after some consideration, Apple has approved MoreBluSky's Flashlight - For iPhone 4 app as well as the many other iPhone 4 flashlight apps in their approval queue. Each app, however, must include a disclaimer that continued use of the iPhone's LED may dramatically decrease battery life.

Article Link: Apple Approves iPhone 4 LED Flashlight Apps

2. ajg1977 macrumors member

3. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

4. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Great news! Will be a lot easier than using my iPhone's screen as the flashlight. Although, will this be available with multitasking, for example, if I receive a text message I wonder if I can answer it, with the flash staying on?

5. ChromeAce macrumors regular

Great! So when will Apple start approving other useful hardware apps like call recording?

6. nlr macrumors 6502

7. mrat93 macrumors 65832

mrat93

8. Jelite macrumors 6502a

Good news - flashlight apps
    Bad news - hundreds of flash light apps

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Excellent.

That light makes a fantastic flashlight. I've been using the video-camera app, but the button to turn it on is quite tiny.

I'm looking forward to apps with controls that are fine-tuned for this specific use.

10. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

What a waste of money. You can do this for free. Open up the camera app, set the slider to video, and turn flash on. The flash will stay on. I would get this if you plan on running the flashlight for long periods of time. If you mostly use it for short period just use the camera app.

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Or free apps with iAds? Come on developers.

Right now I use the Video Camera mode to use the light so I know if the app disables the screen it should improve the battery if used as just a flashlight. Maybe have the screen flash with an iAd every minute or something to make it free.

12. Winni macrumors 68040

Winni

The question should be: When does Apple finally drop their completely useless approval process and when will they finally be forced to open their devices to competing AppStores?

It should be up to the customer to decide whether an application is acceptable or not. End of story.

13. tonyeck macrumors 6502

tonyeck

Funny when people claim first without any real claims to back it up! :D

People have been talking about using the LED as a light when Gizmodo had the prototype phone

14. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

macpro2000

Soon. Patience grasshopper.

15. aardwolf macrumors 6502

You know I'm cheap when I'm going to write my own rather than spend $1 on a pre-built one.

16. muskratboy macrumors 6502

yup, the one where you open the video recorder and turn the flash to "on" then don't record anything.

why anyone would pay for something the phone does for free is... well... :rolleyes:

17. oahazmatt macrumors member

Just purchased it and tried it out. Works as promised. Looks like it will be a lot more helpful than previous Flashlight apps.

18. muskratboy macrumors 6502

well... USELESS is pretty strong. since google's "open" app store is having real problems with that.

the "useless" approval process is EXACTLY the reason there are so many apps, so few malwares, and the whole thing works as well as it does.

so maybe calm down on the "useless" system that's gotten you 100K apps and a thriving ecosystem, ok?

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Kinda given. No need for front page news, 2nd page at best.

Edit - Why would someone charge $0.99 for this? Seriously, its bound to have free alternatives.

20. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Kind of a surprise. Thought for sure Apple would not approve these.

21. Advil macrumors 6502a

do any of these use the brighter setting? when you take a pic it does two flashes, one regular and one bright.

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

23. 3583582 Suspended

That would be a huge disappointment if it would ever happened. It'd be fine with a separate "open" store but I don't want the App Store to change. Rather I want Nokia etc to create their own version of the Apple App Store..