Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix is planning to add to its TV and movie offerings by breaking into video game content, reports Bloomberg.

Netflix-16x9.jpg

Netflix has hired former Electronic Arts and Facebook executive Mike Verdu as vice president of game development, and he will report to Netflix chief operating officer Greg Peters. At Facebook, Verdu worked with developers to bring games and other content to the Oculus VR headset.

It is not clear how Netflix's gaming offering will work nor if the company plans to develop original gaming content. Netflix could have a cloud gaming setup similar to Microsoft, Google, and Amazon, or it could work with developers on original titles, making it more similar to Apple Arcade.

Netflix's gaming efforts are in the very early stages and Netflix's plans for gaming will become more clear in the future.

With Apple Arcade, Apple makes mobile games available on iPhones, iPads, Macs, and the Apple TV, with Apple TV integration allowing people to play on their television sets similar to traditional consoles.

Article Link: Apple Arcade Facing More Competition as Netflix Plans Expansion Into Video Games

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Past articles to show interest by Netflix into video games.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
It's not clear if they're trying to make games based on their IP or they want to stream video games to their customers.

Kinda like the Stranger Thing games.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
All you can play with no ads or IAP for a small amount of money a month isn’t going to work for anybody. There has to be AAA titles coming out somewhat frequently to keep mobile gamer attraction on top of regular games too. Apple hasn’t had a massive hit on Apple Arcade. They are now only putting classic games on there.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Apple needs to stop piss farting around with these crap games on Apple Arcade, they need to start buying these well known gaming companies instead, not like they can’t afford it. ?

Hope not...... Don't want Apple artificially shut down one good gaming company to potentially incorporate some part of it into their offerings.

Happy to play in my different gaming devices that I own that don't involve Apple - they can keep their crappy Apple Arcade.

Macintosh IIvx

Suspended
Mar 19, 2021
Typical click-bait headline. They're not facing more competition because Netflix hasn't yet released such a service. Until that point, there's no additional competition from Netflix.

BREAKING: SpaceX facing more competition from space ships I may or may not build in my garage at some point in the future.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
All you can play with no ads or IAP for a small amount of money a month isn’t going to work for anybody. There has to be AAA titles coming out somewhat frequently to keep mobile gamer attraction on top of regular games too. Apple hasn’t had a massive hit on Apple Arcade. They are now only putting classic games on there.
now imagine Netflix gaming.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Apple would then need to ban the Netflix app from the App Store right? Cloud game streaming apps are not allowed, e.g. Google Stadia, Microsoft xCloud, and Amazon Luna.
They haven’t said what kind of gaming they’ll focus on. If it’s the name as Nickelodeon’s gaming efforts, then there’s no problem. :)

Reactions: Orionfox

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Apple needs to stop piss farting around with these crap games on Apple Arcade, they need to start buying these well known gaming companies instead, not like they can’t afford it. ?
They really missed their chanceS in not buying Bungie back in the day but then, Apple weren't 100% serious they wanted games on their platform.

Reactions: iZac and LFC2020

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Typical click-bait headline. They're not facing more competition because Netflix hasn't yet released such a service. Until that point, there's no additional competition from Netflix.

BREAKING: SpaceX facing more competition from space ships I may or may not build in my garage at some point in the future.

Someone left "potentially" or "potential" out of the title in order to get it posted 10 seconds earlier.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple would then need to ban the Netflix app from the App Store right? Cloud game streaming apps are not allowed, e.g. Google Stadia, Microsoft xCloud, and Amazon Luna.
Go read

What this whole email saga is illustrative of is how Apple’s policies for developers seem to have exceptions. The details aren’t fully explained in the presentation, but Apple does bring up offering “video partner program benefits” to Netflix, which sound similar to the deal it cut with Amazon for Prime Video. The emails could serve as evidence that for lucrative and powerful partners, Apple seems to be willing to make concessions.

Reactions: keithdoc

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
I hope Netflix's games are on a different platform dedicated to gaming. I don't even want to see the option when I log in.

Reactions: Yammabot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.