Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Silicon Alley Insider reports that Apple has approached certain app developers to ask them to prepare for a demo scheduled for next month. Notably, Apple has requested that the developers prepare their applications to run in "full screen" mode rather than limiting display to the iPhone and iPod touch's 320 x 480 pixels.
Apple is preparing to show off a new, larger mobile device with a higher resolution display in January -- probably a version of the Apple tablet we've been hearing about for months -- according to a plugged-in source in the mobile industry.

Apple has been telling some app makers to prepare apps for a demo next month, according to this source. "They've told select developers that as long as they build their apps to support full screen resolution -- rather than a fixed 320x480 -- their apps should run just fine," our source says.
The source notes that only the demo will occur in January, with a device launch scheduled for sometime in the future to allow other developers to modify their applications to support the new device and to allow Apple to generate excitement and anticipation ahead of the launch as it did with the original iPhone.

Apple tablet rumors have been flying fast and furious lately, with rumors of a February production ramp for a March or April release leading to reports of a possible January announcement. Exact specs of the tablet remain unknown, with long-standing rumors of a 10" display being joined in recent weeks with increasing claims of a 7" display, possibly indicating plans for multiple models of the new device.

Article Link: Apple Asking App Developers to Prepare for Large Screen Demos Next Month?

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
What does "full screen" mean? That's a little vague. Full screen for the iPhone? Mac? Tablet?
I certainly hope its a tablet.

viperguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2005
If we buy the tablet, will we be able to use the Apps we've already paid and downloaded on the app store OR will they make exclusive versions for the tablet, forcing customers to shop for the same apps again.. :confused:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
So the iPhone runs Mac OS X? Epic Fail... seriously... iPhone runs a light verison of OS X, Jobs said so.... it would be logical to add some stuff to the iPhone OS and use it on the tablet....

I know the iPhone OS is based off OSX...what I meant was the tablet should run a full version of Snow Leopard. The iPhone OS makes sense on a small screen, but if this is a full screen tablet, then it should run full OSX.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Now that the Apple Tablet is all but official, I'm going to go get in line at my local Apple Store. I don't want to risk being too far back in the line in case inventory runs short when they go on sale.

What happens when you run an application that isn't prepared for "full screen" mode?

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
So the iPhone runs Mac OS X? Epic Fail... seriously... iPhone runs a light verison of OS X, Jobs said so.... it would be logical to add some stuff to the iPhone OS and use it on the tablet....

Your way of thinking is better suited for Microsoft.

There is nothing "logical" and no one knows what this device will do. Adding some "stuff"? It is not a taco.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
IT IS ABOUT D**** TIME!!!!!!!!!
Now watch the competition copied the hell out of it and then soon say they have an Apple tablet killer. Like they always do when they want to one-up Cupertino product.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
So the tablet is going to run iPhone OS I guess? Epic fail.
I still believe that the phantom tablet would run some sort of hybrid OS placed between the iPhone OS and Mac OS X. My guess is that the user interface design would be optimized for a larger screen and that it wouldn't just be a supersized iPhone interface (looking at 64 icons).

Assuming the tablet uses an ARM processor, that would give the device the possibility of accessing the 100,000+ iPhone apps in the iTunes Store in a processor native mode. It's possible that the iPhone apps would run in their own windows, some sort of modal system like Dashboard widges on OS X, or another interface like Expose or Cover Flow.

I believe the user interface would need a strong multimedia component, maybe an amalgam of the best parts of iTunes, Hulu/XBMC/Plex/Boxee, Front Row, Kindle, etc.

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

There is nothing "logical" and no one knows what this device will do. Adding some "stuff"? It is not a taco.

Stuff can be extra features and more functionality beyond what the current iPhone has like HSDPA/UMTS support, a desktop class springboard to name a few. Clearly, you lack some insight or future thinking skills.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I agree that your post is an epic fail.

Okay, fine, you pay $1000+ for a device that Apple will cripple with the damn app store that they rule over with an iron fist, even though said device is capable of running full OSX apps. The app store concept makes sense for the iPhone, given the limited size and resources, but there is no reason with it for the tablet when other tablets are running full versions of Windows. And if I was in the market for a tablet, I would take one that can run a full, regular copy of Windows 7 over one that runs the iPhone OS.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada

No your thinking is more suited to MSFT. Look at Windows mobile. It has drop down menus a start menu and other controls that belong on a desktop, not a phone.

Tablets have failed because MSFT tries to use a desktop OS on a formfactor that is not designed for a desktop OS interface.

It is much more logical to build up on a mobile phone OS rather than going in the other direction like MSFT did. Apple will probably take the same approach as what google is doing with the Android OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.