Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Now your not talking about replaceable parts but what you consider your ideal equipment which sound like old grandpa talking. In my days there was 8 track and dam it we liked it.

Optical is dead no one cares, Unless your gaming which still requires been online to play the game shows that optical disk are going to go away. I use a wifi DVD/Blu-ray disk for all my needs as well as 3 other Airs, and no one seems to mind or care any more at the house, first week it was "the world is ending" after the first week glazed over eyes when asked do you miss the built in DVD. :rolleyes:

You're not able to differentiate between a core argument and a side note.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Not being able to replace parts means more things will have to be manufactured, as people will have to stop using them more often.

It is not about recyclability, which is misleading by itself.

Outside of the battery what would you need to replace on the rMBP? And the battery can be replaced by Apple. I've had iPod Touches, iPhones and iPads and I've never had hardware failure on any of them. Not having a hard drive or optical drive and using less screws reduces the chances of having hardware problems.

And again I ask what does not having certain I/O or an optical drive have to do with this discussion? If you require an Ethernet port and an optical drive then don't buy the rMBP. Simple as that.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Outside of the battery what would you need to replace on the rMBP? And the battery can be replaced by Apple. I've had iPod Touches, iPhones and iPads and I've never had hardware failure on any of them. Not having a hard drive or optical drive and using less screws reduces the chances of having hardware problems.

And again I ask what does not having certain I/O or an optical drive have to do with this discussion? If you require an Ethernet port and an optical drive then don't buy the rMBP. Simple as that.

If it is expensive and/or inconvenient to replace the battery, more people will buy a new machine sooner instead of continuing to use what they have.

The replaceable RAM argument has already been given.

See above for the points which are not part of the argument.

----------

All in ones are even more unsustainable.

tomsamson

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
I wonder what happened between Apple and Epeat there that now Apple can get the certification for their notebooks again while especially the macbook retina is still glued together heavily internally.

minnus

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
So, the Asus Zenbook has a slot type SSD with a standard SATA connector? And while we are at it, can you show me any smartphone where one can upgrade the RAM?

Yes - for more information, do some digging on the UX31A. It comes with one DIMM slot and the ability to upgrade the SSD with off the shelf components.

Where did you get this whole Smartphone and RAM from? That is a trick question, lol. Sometimes, RAM is RAM, and others, RAM is simply storage - when talking about phones. In that regard, a lot of phones offer MicroSD slots which support 64GB (perhaps even more now?). The iPhone is just not one of them.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Yes - for more information, do some digging on the UX31A. It comes with one DIMM slot and the ability to upgrade the SSD with off the shelf components.

Where did you get this whole Smartphone and RAM from? That is a trick question, lol. Sometimes, RAM is RAM, and others, RAM is simply storage - when talking about phones. In that regard, a lot of phones offer MicroSD slots which support 64GB (perhaps even more now?). The iPhone is just not one of them.

That is absolutely ridiculous. RAM is RAM and storage is storage. RAM doesn't magically change into something completely different just because it is in a phone.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Apple without Jobs, year 1.

Nobody understands what's going on!

Can people please stop with this b.s.? Apple flip-flopped on issues all of the time when Steve was around. If anything, this series of events would have been *less* surprising if Steve was still in charge.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
It's so ridiculous how a lot of people here want to commend Apple and give them credit for doing this. If this was any other company you would've been very quick to ridicule that company for flip-flopping and being too weak to stand their ground, even if they like Mansfield openly admitted that they had made a mistake and then caved in to pressure from their consumers.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If it is expensive and/or inconvenient to replace the battery, more people will buy a new machine sooner instead of continuing to use what they have.

The replaceable RAM argument has already been given.

See above for the points which are not part of the argument.

----------

All in ones are even more unsustainable.
Considering what rMBP costs I can't see someone opting to replace the entire machine if all they need is a new battery. It will be cheaper for them to take it or send it to Apple for replacement than purchasing a brand new machine. But hey maybe 3-4 years from now (most likely when the battery would need to be replaced) Apple will have an even better machine and people will want to replace the rMBP with this new machine. It's their choice and certainly none of my business if they chose to do so.

And as I said before, no one is forced to purchase a rMBP. If you don't like the fact the average joe can't tinker around inside and replace things or that it's missing optical drive and Ethernet then buy something else. Last time I checked the non-retina MBP is still available for purchase.

Poisednoise

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
London UK
That is absolutely ridiculous. RAM is RAM and storage is storage. RAM doesn't magically change into something completely different just because it is in a phone.

The argument is moot anyway, as this is not a thread about phone memory, but it's not absolutely ridiculous. My understanding is that in a phone all the storage is solid state, that is, RAM, and further, that the phone uses this storage space as its working memory also. I may be wrong, and am happy to be corrected, but that is clearly the assumption under which minnus is labouring. Assuming the phone DOES share the one chunk of memory chips between storage and working memory, then in a phone RAM and storage are interchangeable. It's not so much the RAM magically changing into something else as the storage doing so. You are correct however, that it's not "magical", unless perhaps we are using that term in the very loose sense that Jon Ive loves to. :rolleyes:

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Can people please stop with this b.s.? Apple flip-flopped on issues all of the time when Steve was around. If anything, this series of events would have been *less* surprising if Steve was still in charge.

Can you remind me a flip-flop of that kind under Jobs's management?

Last edited:

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Is anybody surprised that one of the biggest companies in the world can resort to brinkmanship and blackmail like this?

Because it really is pretty obvious that it was blackmail: When Apple's flagship product doesn't qualify for EPEAT status, Apple withdraws in a funk. Then all of a sudden the very same flagship product qualifies for Gold status?

Face it: the rMBP is unrepairable. If something goes wrong with it, you'll receive a replacement rather than a repair.

Need a battery? You're gonna receive a refurbished product rather than a battery. Your data will be transferred. The battery can't be replaced except at the factory--because it's glued in. How would you feel if the battery in your car couldn't be replaced?

Apple will soon be treating their whole product line like toasters. You don't repair a toaster, you replace it.

Guess where all dead toasters go?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Is anybody surprised that one of the biggest companies in the world can resort to brinkmanship and blackmail like this?

Because it really is pretty obvious that it was blackmail: When Apple's flagship product doesn't qualify for EPEAT status, Apple withdraws in a funk. Then all of a sudden the very same flagship product qualifies for Gold status?

Face it: the rMBP is unrepairable. If something goes wrong with it, you'll receive a replacement rather than a repair.

Need a battery? You're gonna receive a refurbished product rather than a battery. Your data will be transferred. The battery can't be replaced except at the factory--because it's glued in. How would you feel if the battery in your car couldn't be replaced?

Apple will soon be treating their whole product line like toasters. You don't repair a toaster, you replace it.

Guess where all dead toasters go?
How do you know the battery cannot be replaced? And how do you know the rMBPs are going to end up in a landfill. You don't so ****.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
How do you know the battery cannot be replaced? And how do you know the rMBPs are going to end up in a landfill. You don't so ****.

The battery is glued in, right on top of a sensitive cable. Go consult the ifixit.com review. Replacing the battery isn't something that can be dealt with at the Genius Bar.

And something this expensive will end up getting sent back to the factory for refurbishment. But that means sending it halfway across the planet for what should be a minor issue.

And do consider taking an anger management class...:mad:

trunten

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
So, it turns out that epeat now charge a boatload of cash to put products on the registry and then even more for each product listed. I think if I was at apple and got to decide whether I stay in this "club" or not I would think I'd rather spend my money on r and d and the like. Ah well, point is moot now, all products are back on and apple will probably quietly start to use some other method of affixing the battery cells so that they can be removed more easily.

hstewart

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
What Apple should have done is move there main off out of California. California makes money from Apple and this would be way to show these guys it not good to mess where the income comes from.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Can you remind me a flip-flop of that kind under Jobs's management?

How about "you're holding it wrong" to "there is nothing wrong" to "it's a software problem with how the bars are displayed" to "here's a free bumper"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.