MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

In an e-mail sent to iPhone developers testing iPhone OS 3.0 betas, Apple announced the start of testing of high-volume Push Notifications using a pre-release version of the Associated Press iPhone application. The current test will run for seven days.

As a developer actively working with iPhone OS 3.0 beta, we would like your help in testing the Apple Push Notification service. We have selected a pre-release version of the Associated Press app for iPhone OS 3.0 to create a high-volume test environment for our servers.

To participate, we ask that you follow these steps:

1. Download the pre-release version of the Associated Press app for iPhone OS 3.0 from the iTunes Store via your desktop by entering this unique redemption code in the 'Redeem' section of iTunes, found under the 'Quick Links' section:
[code redacted]
This unique redemption code and the functionality of the application will expire in seven days.

2. Install the application on a development device running iPhone OS 3.0 beta 5 by synching it to iTunes. Make sure to accept notifications when prompted after installation. This application can only be installed on devices running iPhone OS 3.0 beta 5.

3. When you first run the app, choose U.S. English as your region when prompted. The U.S. English region will receive alerts, the Canadian English region will not. For purposes of the test, AP will be sending a high-volume of real news alerts.

4. If you do not receive notifications from the app within 48 hours after installation, let us know.
Apple activated Push Notifications just over one month ago, allowing developers to begin testing their with the service, which allows iPhone applications to receive updates while they are not actively running.

Article Link: Apple Beginning High-Volume iPhone OS 3.0 Push Notification Testing

abgould

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
Code not working

I tried to get the ap with the redemption code from the email and received a message that the code had already been used. I am the only developer on my account. Has this happened to anyone else? I emailed Apple for a new one.

Comment

thelordnyax

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
code worked for me, i now have the app on my iPhone...no notifications yet...i've only had it for a few minutes

Comment

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
At least they are testing it. With so many iphone users, the damn service needs to work the first time out the gate for consumers.

Comment

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Sent in a submission about this when I get the iPhone developer email earlier today. Pretty interesting, can't wait for June 8th.

Comment

chatterbox101

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2009
I'm a UK dev and I still got it
Doesnt work in the UK store though :mad:

Also in the UK and unable to download this app from iTunes - High volume testing? When this version goes live worldwide the Apple push servers will be hit so hard, how testing this in the US only is of any use or indication to Apple of the demand goodness only knows!

Comment

thelordnyax

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
Also in the UK and unable to download this app from iTunes - High volume testing? When this version goes live worldwide the Apple push servers will be hit so hard, how testing this in the US only is of any use or indication to Apple of the demand goodness only knows!

maybe they decided that there are plenty of developers in the US...
or perhaps they plan to test in places other than the US, but aren't prepared to do so...

Comment

buckyballs

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006

I'm in the same situation, but I think there's a bigger issue

Why on earth can only US accounts claim App redeem codes?!

There is NO good reason for this, apart from Apple being difficult.

maybe they decided that there are plenty of developers in the US...
or perhaps they plan to test in places other than the US, but aren't prepared to do so...

It's not because Apple are only wanting US developers. It's because only US accounts can claim App redeem codes.

Comment

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I got nothing. I feel so unloved. I've even have a US account to use it with.
:(

Comment

Lextar

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
I'm from Germany, received the code and could use it to create a US iTunes account (didn't work with my German account). I've got the app on my iPhone but haven't received any notifications yet. I'm glad they test it with a lot of users.

Comment

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I guess I'll try it out & let everyone know how it goes.

Comment

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Got the email, and a code. I attempted to redeem the code and it informed me that it only valid for customers of the US store. Apple knows I'm Canadian, it said so in the email...

Guess I'll have to try again later.

Comment

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
Just got my first notification with the app for a breaking news story about Goldman Sachs or some ****. Seems to be working so far, although it really gives me no control over what I want notifications for exactly.

Comment

thelordnyax

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
i didn't hear the sound (it may have happened, but i'm watching a movie)
i saw the alert, and the badge

Comment

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Just got my first notification with the app for a breaking news story about Goldman Sachs or some ****. Seems to be working so far, although it really gives me no control over what I want notifications for exactly.

Go to your Settings > Notifications > AP News

Got mine. Felt very much like SMS. I feel like I should be able to slide to view will take me to the app like SMS alerts do.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.