Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
It's not because Apple are only wanting US developers. It's because only US accounts can claim App redeem codes.

are you sure? the way the message was phrased seemed to me that this particular redeem code was only valid on the US store - not that all redeem codes were US only

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
Go to your Settings > Notifications > AP News

Got mine. Felt very much like SMS. I feel like I should be able to slide to view will take me to the app like SMS alerts do.

I know how to do that what I meant was controlling not what type of alerts i get such as badges and so on. I meant controlling what the AP app would notify me of such as breaking news, sports, weather or something else.

Since this is just testing I imagine its just not an option yet. But Id hate to have apps that notify me of what they want to notify me of, not what I want to be notified of.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I know how to do that what I meant was controlling not what type of alerts i get such as badges and so on. I meant controlling what the AP app would notify me of such as breaking news, sports, weather or something else.

Since this is just testing I imagine its just not an option yet. But Id hate to have apps that notify me of what they want to notify me of, not what I want to be notified of.

Gotcha. I think an app can do whatever it darn well pleases in terms of what they notify you of. Of course if they want a good customer report, they will give you the option. Like, I only want sports and technology thank you. Goldman Sachs? Not so much.

kmont1234

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2009
To bad

To bad I can't get this because BETA 5 STILL DOESN'T WANT TO INSTALL ON MY :apple:iPHONE!!!

I have tried so many times and still nothing. I'm still at Beta 4 and I'm scared that it will expire soon. AHH! Darn Error Code 1012:eek:

techAU

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
Not in Australia

I was really keen to check out Push Notifications after getting this email from Apple, I pumped the code into iTunes and was met by the "not in your country"- type message.

Very annoying. Hope they open it up to the world for testing.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
You know, now that I think about this notification service I can see iPhones and Touches everywhere being inundated with notifications if you have a few subscriptions concurrently.

michaelgettys

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2009
You can install it from your phone in iTunes. You dont have to do it on your mac!!! Have gotten 2 notifications so far. The sound is different when it comes up. I wish it had a close button like the text messages do but you have to look at it.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
This is what's taken so long to support? It basically looks like an SMS message.

I hope they at least change the window color.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
You know, now that I think about this notification service I can see iPhones and Touches everywhere being inundated with notifications if you have a few subscriptions concurrently.

I'm not a fan of it either. But I believe there is a PNS app icon (smiley face) that you can use instead of alerts.

Some questions:

1. Can anyone check how long it took from the time the story was posted on AP's site 'til it reached the iPhone?

2. Is the only option right now the alert screen or can you use PNS (smiley face) app?

3. After some use, is it irritating or are you satisfied?

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
This is what's taken so long to support? It basically looks like an SMS message.

I hope they at least change the window color.

It may appear that way for that specific application, but other apps will have different ways of using Push.

But it is mindboggling to imagine the amount of horsepower that Apple's servers will need to handle the billions, if not trillions of Push notifications per day consistently and reliably. I'm glad that Apple is starting the testing of it.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

No email here, either. Registered in Japan, but have a US account. :(

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I live in the U.S. and I'm sure some of you will feel annoyed by this but Apple is a U.S. company, it makes sense to beta test things in the U.S. first. Some of you in the U.K and other places need to quit whining and shouting foul every time you don't get something at the same time at the U.S. The same thing happens to the U.S., every time a japanese company makes a new product, the U.S. is the last to get it. So get over it. :p

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
To bad I can't get this because BETA 5 STILL DOESN'T WANT TO INSTALL ON MY :apple:iPHONE!!!

I have tried so many times and still nothing. I'm still at Beta 4 and I'm scared that it will expire soon. AHH! Darn Error Code 1012:eek:

Had the same problem; It seems to only affect 1st gen iphones
The solution is: If you're currently on Beta 4 (if not, restore back to it), then simply use Option-Update, NOT Option-Restore to get to beta 5 (Option-Restore to b5 always fails for 1st gen iphones). That worked for me... Good luck...

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
I think the success of push notifications will depend on how much control apps give you over what notifications are pushed. Like earlier posters mentioned, no one wants every single AP report pushed to them, just certain sections. Likewise, I don't want every single ESPN report pushed to me, but I'd love if I could get a notification of the final score of every Blue Jays game. If apps don't give really granular control over what's pushed a lot of people are just going to turn the whole thing off cause it'll be too annoying.

dizzy13

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
Miami
I live in the U.S. and I'm sure some of you will feel annoyed by this but Apple is a U.S. company, it makes sense to beta test things in the U.S. first. Some of you in the U.K and other places need to quit whining and shouting foul every time you don't get something at the same time at the U.S. The same thing happens to the U.S., every time a japanese company makes a new product, the U.S. is the last to get it. So get over it. :p

I agree with this, but still find it weird that Apple emailed all devs with the code vs just US devs if they only want us US devs to test it.

hedsick

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA
So does anyone who is not in the US want to share their redeem code with me? I'm testing for a friend on 3.0, but as you have all said, only he can install the push notifications app and I'd like to check it out. PM me if you can help. THanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.