Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has reportedly begun seeding Build 10D522 of Mac OS X 10.6.3 to a limited set of developers, marking the first official beta version of the third maintenance release for Mac OS X Snow Leopard. According to those familiar with the release, Apple has addressed approximately 225 issues in the update, which reportedly weighs in at roughly 666 MB.

Apple documents four remaining known issues in the current build related to application updating, Displays preferences, iTunes hangs, and ColorSync Utility Filters.

Word surfaced nearly a month ago that a 10.6.3 beta release was imminent, but Apple apparently decided not to push any testing versions to developers until after the holidays. Apple's last update to Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.2, was released nearly two months ago.

Article Link: Apple Begins Seeding Mac OS X 10.6.3 Build 10D522 to Testers

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
It's about time, although I just got 10.6.2 installed yesterday :eek: and haven't had any issues yet.

Comment

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
It's about time, although I just got 10.6.2 installed yesterday :eek: and haven't had any issues yet.

The only issue I find I have is when unplugging my external monitor. My macbook still thinks it should display the same resolution as that of my external screen. Thus everything is off the edge of the screen. Hopefully this will sort that out.

Comment

Larry767

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple documents four remaining known issues in the current build related to application updating, Displays preferences, iTunes hangs...

Article Link: Apple Begins Seeding Mac OS X 10.6.3 Build 10D522 to Testers

Hmm iTunes hangs? Since updating my Apple TV to version 3.0/3.0.1 I regularly either have to restart iTunes on my iMac (most common fix), restart the Apple TV by pulling the plug and reconnecting it, or once I had to reboot my wireless router after the above two "fixes" didn't work. My guess is it's an iTunes streaming problem but there are dozens of people with similar experiences over at the Apple Discussion forums.

Comment

kirky29

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Can't wait! A few fixes I'm looking for, including, Photo Booth, after I record a quick message and try to play it back, it not only crashes the app, but the finder also, forcing me to log out. Although, if I wait longer... it'd probably do it! The iTunes hangs can be a little annoying, since I went from a 1.6GHz mac to a 2.6GHz Dual Core.. and it seems slower.
I think that's it :)

Comment

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Hmmm...

The only real issue I have is some confusion when attaching/detaching external monitors.

In my opinion, iTunes need to be revised to speed up processing. Syncing my iPhone causes it to become unresponsive, for example. Watching a video causes it to be unresponsive. It's obviously in need of a serious overhaul and has been for a while now.

Comment

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I still can't reliably add photos to address book contacts. Safari really makes me angry with all the hanging and iTunes sometimes skips on MP3s like when you're shaking an old discman.

Comment

viktore

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
Few Issues

10.6.2 fixed several issues for me except:

- Command + Delete shortcut sometimes delete the wrong item.
If I want to delete an item on the desktop and I was previously into another finder window, I have to click the DESKTOP itself first, then select the item to delete.

- Sometimes, clicking from an app to another isn't sufficient to be "active". I have to click the app through the dock or Command + Tab to truly select the app. Seems related to the first issue.

- Network problems. Login and password don't register into the keychain.

Comment

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I'm betting whoever has access to this is going to check all the changed files to find any references to the "iSlate". If iSlate is coming out, iTunes might be updated as well to support it.

Comment

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I hope they fix this:

When I use "Better Battery Life" in System Preferences > Energy Saver > Graphics, everything is fine. However, if I set that option to "Better Performance", my system just keeps crashing (rebooting on its own, freezing forever, kernel panics, and so on) regularly.

Has anyone else had this? It's super annoying as you can probably imagine, and it's an extremely "major" issue.

I have a Unibody, Late 2008 MacBook Pro 15 inch.

The update's 666 MB size certainly indicates that it's going to be evil! Whatever that means.

Comment

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007

Don't worry, they will creep up.

It's about time indeed. I've read so many people complaining about issues with SL that they've gone back to 10.5 which was what I was doing at one point as well. I'm hoping the update will solve my sleep/wake issue as well as the display freaking out at odd times.

Leo Laporte even says it's crippled and advise against upgrading. I generally don't regard Leo as an expert of computing, but he does have one invaluable asset in that he is the funnel to everyone else's problems; he may always have the answers but it's a good measuring stick.

Comment

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
I'm betting whoever has access to this is going to check all the changed files to find any references to the "iSlate". If iSlate is coming out, iTunes might be updated as well to support it.

I am pretty sure Apple isn't going to put iSlate in this version if the actual product won't be shipping till March.

Comment

brendon2020

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
only issue that i've been having is the screen saver keeps crashing, even though its not enabled. I just have a cronjob run every minute doing a killall -9.

Comment

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
I hope they fix this:

When I use "Better Battery Life" in System Preferences > Energy Saver > Graphics, everything is fine. However, if I set that option to "Better Performance", my system just keeps crashing (rebooting on its own, freezing forever, kernel panics, and so on) regularly.

Has anyone else had this? It's super annoying as you can probably imagine, and it's an extremely "major" issue.

I have a Unibody, Late 2008 MacBook Pro 15 inch.

The update's 666 MB size certainly indicates that it's going to be evil! Whatever that means.

Sounds like a hardware fault, run some diagnostics or get to a genuis bar!

Comment

Neurobit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
United States
I've been on 10.6.2 since it came out and really no issues except for the external monitor thing. Selecting the "detect displays" resolves it, but it would be nice if I didn't have to do that every time I re-connect.

Comment

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I know it isn't mentioned on this original post, but this is great news for those of us waiting for the MBP update.

I say this because in an old post here on the main page that the new MBPs will come with 10.6.2 out of the box.....meaning that before 10.6.3 comes out, the MBPs will be updated.......at least, I think so??

I would post the picture that was attached but I am doing this from my phone so cannot locate it right now. To find it just go back in time a month or two

Comment

kmiahali

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Manhattan, NYC
I've had 10.6.2 installed since it came out and i've been having minor problems. The screen doesn't resize sometimes and sometimes everything on the desktop disappears and then comes back a few minutes later.

Comment

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
familiar with the release, Apple has addressed approximately 225 issues in the update, which reportedly weighs in at roughly 666 MB.
OS X 10.6.3 Build 10D522 to Testers

Interesting MB size, I hope it's not fortuitous ..

Comment

jancz

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
Czech

Can someone take a look if there is a Czech localization included in this update? There were some rumors that it might be there. Thanks!:apple:

Comment

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Possibly the point version where i update to Snow Leopard. Wonder what comes next for iPhone OS. 3.1.3 or 3.2

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.