Apple Begins Selling New Beddit 3.5 Sleep Monitor

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began selling a new Beddit sleep monitor on its online store after receiving FCC clearance for the product earlier this week.

The new version has a model number of 3.5 and retails for the same $149.95 price as the previous model 3.0. The new version looks similar to the previous one, but it is ever so slightly smaller and lighter. It remains 2mm thin.

This represents Apple's first update to the sleep monitor since it acquired Beddit in May 2017. It remains an ultra-thin 2mm flexible sensor strip that is designed to be placed under the sheet on top of the mattress and automatically begins tracking sleep-related data when you lie down for sleep.

The data collected includes sleep time and efficiency, heart rate, respiration, temperature, movement, snoring, room temperature, and room humidity. The data can be viewed in the new Beddit 3.5 app or Health app on an iPhone or iPad. The old Beddit app is now designated for model 3.0.

The new version is also listed on Beddit's website. It is compatible with the iPhone 5s or later with iOS 12 or later and all Apple Watch models with watchOS 4.3 or later.

(Thanks, Jordan!)

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling New Beddit 3.5 Sleep Monitor

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
It looks great. It is funny that thing is $149 - the same price as the rumored AirPower. Perhaps it would charge my Series 4 and iPhone x on the mattress....

Reactions: munpip214

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010

Apple today began selling a new Beddit sleep monitor on its online store after receiving FCC clearance for the product earlier this week.

The new version has a model number of 3.5 and retails for the same $149.95 price as the previous model 3.0. The new version looks similar to the previous one, but it is ever so slightly smaller and lighter. It remains 2mm thin.

This represents Apple's first update to the sleep monitor since it acquired Beddit in May 2017. It remains an ultra-thin 2mm flexible sensor strip that is designed to be placed under the sheet on top of the mattress and automatically begins tracking sleep-related data when you lie down for sleep.

The data collected and analyzed includes sleep time and efficiency, heart rate, respiration, temperature, movement, snoring, room temperature, and room humidity. The data can be viewed in the Beddit app on iPhone and iPad.

The new version is also listed on Beddit's website.

(Thanks, Jordan!)

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling New Beddit 3.5 Sleep Monitor
Looks interesting but I already have an Apple Watch and software and don't need data on snoring, room temperature or humidity. Pass.

nt5672

macrumors 68020
Jun 30, 2007
I went looking and could not figure out what the benefit was. I know how many times I get up at night. I know what the temperature and humidity are. I don't have to have a monitor all night long to know that the temperature is too hot or cold. Besides right or wrong depends on how many blankets are on the bed, and it does not know that. My partner can fully describe my snoring, which has reduced a great deal with weight loss.

It does not track laying awake and not sleeping, which is worth knowing. It does not track REM sleep which is really the most important thing to track.

So where's the beef?

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
This is not snark. Legitimately. What is the point of this thing? A fitness monitor I get. You see you aren't moving much you can get up off the couch and go for a jog. Don't see a similar obvious use for this.
Sleep tracking in general is not about one night's sleep, but about collecting data over an extended period of time to see how changes in diet, work schedule, etc can affect your sleep patterns over the long term.

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
I’ve been hesitant to try sleep trackers for creepy privacy reasons; more on the subtle wondering in the back of my mind of where does this data go (how far) and for what use, intentionally or through sheer negligence.

At least with With Apple, I have a bit more trust that they’re going to do their best to keep my data private.

Reactions: The Barron

Dethklok

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
This is not snark. Legitimately. What is the point of this thing? A fitness monitor I get. You see you aren't moving much you can get up off the couch and go for a jog. Don't see a similar obvious use for this.
I have one from Sleeptracker. I know my sleep is ****. It's interesting because I can see my sleep score and how bad it is and how good it is on Friday and Saturday. I can see it being useful because I can see when I enter and exit REM sleep. I can see how many REM sleep sessions. I could probably use it to figure out just how much sleep I actually need.

Attachments

Reactions: shadowbird423

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
Apple is turning into a Brookstone. Who cares that Apple is doing a sleeping toy?
How about you focus on doing computers and iphones better and at a more affordable price instead of wasting money on things that no one cares?

Reactions: AutisticGuy

az431

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Whether something has some utility is a subjective opinion. The fact that people buy them suggests that they find it useful.

az431

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Apple is turning into a Brookstone. Who cares that Apple is doing a sleeping toy?
How about you focus on doing computers and iphones better and at a more affordable price instead of wasting money on things that no one cares?
So your take on this is that all 132,000+ employees at Apple are focused on this?

Do you think maybe it's possible that only the dozen or so now-Apple employees working in Finland are involved in the beddit product, and that if they weren't, their skills and qualifications don't align with those necessary to engineer Macs and iPhones?

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I have one from Sleeptracker. I know my sleep is ****. It's interesting because I can see my sleep score and how bad it is and how good it is on Friday and Saturday. I can see it being useful because I can see when I enter and exit REM sleep. I can see how many REM sleep sessions. I could probably use it to figure out just how much sleep I actually need.
From the above it appears you are just collecting data as a curiosity.
You have not made a clear case how this data can help you get better sleep.
There may be one, but you haven’t stated it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.