Apple Begins Selling New Beddit 3.5 Sleep Monitor

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today began selling a new Beddit sleep monitor on its online store after receiving FCC clearance for the product earlier this week.

[​IMG]

The new version has a model number of 3.5 and retails for the same $149.95 price as the previous model 3.0. The new version looks similar to the previous one, but it is ever so slightly smaller and lighter. It remains 2mm thin.

This represents Apple's first update to the sleep monitor since it acquired Beddit in May 2017. It remains an ultra-thin 2mm flexible sensor strip that is designed to be placed under the sheet on top of the mattress and automatically begins tracking sleep-related data when you lie down for sleep.

The data collected includes sleep time and efficiency, heart rate, respiration, temperature, movement, snoring, room temperature, and room humidity. The data can be viewed in the new Beddit 3.5 app or Health app on an iPhone or iPad. The old Beddit app is now designated for model 3.0.

The new version is also listed on Beddit's website. It is compatible with the iPhone 5s or later with iOS 12 or later and all Apple Watch models with watchOS 4.3 or later.

(Thanks, Jordan!)

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling New Beddit 3.5 Sleep Monitor

2. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

3. tzm41 macrumors regular

tzm41

How is this compared to Withings Sleep?

4. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

5. matty.p macrumors 6502

It is. That’s for power.

6. AngerDanger, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I've often felt heath monitoring devices should cater more to fans of slap bracelets, but it just looks shifty somehow…

[​IMG]

7. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

This is not snark. Legitimately. What is the point of this thing? A fitness monitor I get. You see you aren't moving much you can get up off the couch and go for a jog. Don't see a similar obvious use for this.

8. Heineken macrumors 6502a

Heineken

Either is useless. You know that your sleep is **** or not and you know if you don’t move enough. That’s obvious.

9. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

It looks great. It is funny that thing is $149 - the same price as the rumored AirPower. Perhaps it would charge my Series 4 and iPhone x on the mattress....

10. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

a lot of things it can be useful for. if you haven't been diagnosed with issues that you maybe unaware of when you sleep, ie sleep apnea or other issues it can be an improvement.

11. adamjackson macrumors 68000

That came out fast. Ordered. Looking forward to trying it.

12. pianoman88 macrumors regular

Looks interesting but I already have an Apple Watch and software and don't need data on snoring, room temperature or humidity. Pass.

13. nt5672 macrumors 68000

I went looking and could not figure out what the benefit was. I know how many times I get up at night. I know what the temperature and humidity are. I don't have to have a monitor all night long to know that the temperature is too hot or cold. Besides right or wrong depends on how many blankets are on the bed, and it does not know that. My partner can fully describe my snoring, which has reduced a great deal with weight loss.

It does not track laying awake and not sleeping, which is worth knowing. It does not track REM sleep which is really the most important thing to track.

So where's the beef?

14. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Sleep tracking in general is not about one night's sleep, but about collecting data over an extended period of time to see how changes in diet, work schedule, etc can affect your sleep patterns over the long term.

15. Bromeo macrumors regular

I’ve been hesitant to try sleep trackers for creepy privacy reasons; more on the subtle wondering in the back of my mind of where does this data go (how far) and for what use, intentionally or through sheer negligence.

At least with With Apple, I have a bit more trust that they’re going to do their best to keep my data private.

16. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

17. Dethklok macrumors member

I have one from Sleeptracker. I know my sleep is ****. It's interesting because I can see my sleep score and how bad it is and how good it is on Friday and Saturday. I can see it being useful because I can see when I enter and exit REM sleep. I can see how many REM sleep sessions. I could probably use it to figure out just how much sleep I actually need.

Attached Files:

18. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

Anyone else read it as BBEdit? I didn't know they made hardware. LOL.

19. MacFan23 macrumors 6502

This. It doesn't "need" USB-C, but for the sake of consistency I want all new products I buy moving forward to have this.

20. Peperino macrumors 6502

Peperino

Apple is turning into a Brookstone. Who cares that Apple is doing a sleeping toy?
    How about you focus on doing computers and iphones better and at a more affordable price instead of wasting money on things that no one cares?

21. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

Whether something has some utility is a subjective opinion. The fact that people buy them suggests that they find it useful.

22. iRutherford macrumors member

iRutherford

I want to know if the app requires me to purchase the device first or if it's possible to download now. Can anyone confirm?

23. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

Ah, thanks!

24. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

So your take on this is that all 132,000+ employees at Apple are focused on this?

Do you think maybe it's possible that only the dozen or so now-Apple employees working in Finland are involved in the beddit product, and that if they weren't, their skills and qualifications don't align with those necessary to engineer Macs and iPhones?

25. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

From the above it appears you are just collecting data as a curiosity.
    You have not made a clear case how this data can help you get better sleep.
    There may be one, but you haven’t stated it.