Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randyhudson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
USA
Doesn't the XR have a lousy, sub-HD resolution screen? Doesn't the X have HD resolution?

Yeah, X has a resolution of 2436 x 1125 (better than HD 1920 x 1080) while the XR has a resolution of 1792 x 828 (worse than HD).

Content on the X is displayed at non integer scaling ratio. So there are more pixels, but lines and icons are resampled and fuzzier, since everything is displayed at 2.45x logical pixels.

I prefer the XR any day of the week, where icons appear without resampling, 1 pixel lines are a crisp 2 pixels on the screen, not 2.45 pixels

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Not sure why anyone would want this over the cheaper brand new XR, that is unless you are REALLY desperate for that OLED screen.

I've just traded my X in for an XR and it was the best move I made, the XR is the superior phone in my opinion.

I went the other way and glad I went with the X.

For me, the screen wasn't the selling feature, they both look good.
I just prefer the smaller size, 3D touch, smaller bezel, aesthetics (subjective of course), stainless steel vs. aluminum.

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Doesn't the XR have a lousy, sub-HD resolution screen? Doesn't the X have HD resolution?

Yeah, X has a resolution of 2436 x 1125 (better than HD 1920 x 1080) while the XR has a resolution of 1792 x 828 (worse than HD).

One of my team mates has an XR while I have an X, calling the XR screen "lousy" is quite ridiculous, it's a very good screen and in normal use you don't notice any difference, the only thing you easily notice is how the X display is a lot brighter.

Reactions: tmaxxtigger

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
It's not that much bigger than the X.

The wife who hated my 6S+ because it was too big now has the XR and even she doesn't think it feels that much different to the X she had before.

I currently use an SE, before that I had a iPhone 6s Plus.

The X might be a little too big, but I know the XR would be. Take a look at the comparison:
Compare IPhone.png

Reactions: douglasf13

MatthewUT44

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2015
Arizona
Not sure why anyone would want this over the cheaper brand new XR, that is unless you are REALLY desperate for that OLED screen.

I've just traded my X in for an XR and it was the best move I made, the XR is the superior phone in my opinion.

Better camera on the X

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Jeez, it comes out to nearly $900 with taxes for the 64GB. I usually buy on Swappa. I think I’d stick to that and get one for nearly $600.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
It should have been $749 for new iPhone X or XS. Greedy Tim....

$749 for iPhone XS
$649 for iPhone XR with dual camera and HD LCD.
$799 for iPhone XS Max

Apple sold over 200 million phones last year, and it takes months for supply to catch up with demand after each new product launch.

It makes zero sense to lower prices simply to sell more phones at a lower profit margin, other than to people like yourself who can't afford them.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

HD = 720P

Resolution is meaningless if you don't take into account viewing distance. XR meets the Retina classification.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

HD is 720p. FHD is 1080p. Anything about an iPhone XR not having a HD display is patently false.

Reactions: magicman32

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
It's not that much bigger than the X.

The wife who hated my 6S+ because it was too big now has the XR and even she doesn't think it feels that much different to the X she had before.

The X is way too big anyway.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
HD = 720P

Resolution is meaningless if you don't take into account viewing distance. XR meets the Retina classification.

My 4.5 year old 6+ is 401 PPI. The XR is 326 PPI.

I have no intent of holding the smaller XR further from my face.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Few know this OUTSIDE of the App Developer Community, but the extra GB of DRAM in the XS & XS Max really do make a BIG difference.

The X & XR are NOT true 3 GB iPhones ... NOT when compared to an older 7+, with runs like a charm with it's 3 GB of DRAM.

It's NOT a BIG deal if one doesn't intend to run High-Performance apps on their iPhone, but if one does, recommend staying away from the X & XR, & ONLY consider the XS & XS Max.

Phil Schiller dropped the ball, BIG time, with the XS & XS Max by NOT promoting the benefits of the extra DRAM !

I use a 6s, 7+, & XR for most of my App Dev work.

If I was to give grades to each, then my 6s would get a B, my 7+ an A+, & my XR a D- !

Paid $799 USD for my XR, & haven't been at all happy with it ! ... Feel like I got totally ripped-off by Cook !

If I was running AAPL, I would discount the XS (to $799), & immediately develop & offer a single back camera version of it, with an even more discounted price, say $649 !

And most importantly, offer a FREE upgrade to ALL existing XR customers to whichever one of the two they desire !

Too many people discount the importance of DRAM here in MR ... it's actually critically important to many, many apps, mostly to, but NOT just, High Perf ones !

Last edited:

Drogba11

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2018

X is a much more superior than the XR.

Qualcomm modem (superior signal)
3D touch
smaller bezels
superior display
optical zoom
better portrait mode

I could go on

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
X is a much more superior than the XR.

Qualcomm modem (superior signal)
3D touch
smaller bezels
superior display
optical zoom
better portrait mode

I could go on
Qualcomm only if you are on Verizon, if you are anywhere else in the world you end up with a subpar Intel modem which has been vastly improved in the XR, this thing holds on to signal far better than my X ever did and can extract more speed out of it as well.

Bezels are not an issue and actually the slightly wider bezel makes typing an address in on the SatNav when in a car holder much easier as I can hit the letters at the edge of the screen whereas on the X it was difficult.

Optical Zoom only works outside in bright daylight otherwise all zoom is digital on the main lens and at that point the XR will beat it.

Portrait mode is a gimmick I’m not fussed about however from reading I see that the XR’s portrait mode can be used in much lower lighting conditions, so yes maybe not quite as good in one area but better in another.

3D Touch is no big loss, and haptic touch is only getting better with each new release and if rumours are to be believed 3D Touch will be going on this years models anyway meaning haptic will only get better.

Now the pros of the XR

Newer faster SOC

Improved base camera with better low light and Smart HDR, in my limited usage the images come out more vibrant on the XR than they ever did from the X. Also extremely quick shutter so less blur.

Far improved Intel modem

Battery life which is an absolute beast, my X often needed a top up whereas I’ve not managed to drain the XR yet with heavier use.

Screen that’s more efficiently used as it’s treated like a plus sized phone rather than a replacement for the standard sized phones.

And if like me you are part of the population that is sensitive to the low frequency PWM of the OLED iPhones a screen that doesn’t make you want to rub your eyeballs into the back of your skull when you use it at night.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
My 4.5 year old 6+ is 401 PPI. The XR is 326 PPI.

I have no intent of holding the smaller XR further from my face.
You wouldn't. Probably wouldn't even notice the difference if some spec. sheet didn't point it out. You probably WOULD notice all the other technological advances over your old 6+. But hey, if that screen spec. the hill you want to rest on above all else, it's your call.

Drogba11

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2018
Qualcomm only if you are on Verizon, if you are anywhere else in the world you end up with a subpar Intel modem which has been vastly improved in the XR, this thing holds on to signal far better than my X ever did and can extract more speed out of it as well.

Bezels are not an issue and actually the slightly wider bezel makes typing an address in on the SatNav when in a car holder much easier as I can hit the letters at the edge of the screen whereas on the X it was difficult.

Optical Zoom only works outside in bright daylight otherwise all zoom is digital on the main lens and at that point the XR will beat it.

Portrait mode is a gimmick I’m not fussed about however from reading I see that the XR’s portrait mode can be used in much lower lighting conditions, so yes maybe not quite as good in one area but better in another.

3D Touch is no big loss, and haptic touch is only getting better with each new release and if rumours are to be believed 3D Touch will be going on this years models anyway meaning haptic will only get better.

Now the pros of the XR

Newer faster SOC

Improved base camera with better low light and Smart HDR, in my limited usage the images come out more vibrant on the XR than they ever did from the X. Also extremely quick shutter so less blur.

Far improved Intel modem

Battery life which is an absolute beast, my X often needed a top up whereas I’ve not managed to drain the XR yet with heavier use.

Screen that’s more efficiently used as it’s treated like a plus sized phone rather than a replacement for the standard sized phones.

And if like me you are part of the population that is sensitive to the low frequency PWM of the OLED iPhones a screen that doesn’t make you want to rub your eyeballs into the back of your skull when you use it at night.

Not correct. My X is a Qualcomm A1865 and I’m on T-Mobile. This model supports GSM and CDMA

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Not correct. My X is a Qualcomm A1865 and I’m on T-Mobile. This model supports GSM and CDMA
And I’m in the UK where we only ever saw the Intel version. Same for most of the world I believe.

Im sure only the US and maybe China which have CDMA networks got the Qualcomm version and I believe in the US it was dependent on network as to which you got, I thought it was only Verizon that got the Qualcomm version obviously T-Mo got it as well but I know that ATT got the Intel as there was a big uproar about it being the inferior phone.

Either way I bet there are a lot more intel models out in the wild that have been refurbed and are now being resold under this offer than Qualcomm ones.
[doublepost=1549317415][/doublepost]
And I’m in the UK where we only ever saw the Intel version. Same for most of the world I believe.

Im sure only the US and maybe China which have CDMA networks got the Qualcomm version and I believe in the US it was dependent on network as to which you got, I thought it was only Verizon that got the Qualcomm version obviously T-Mo got it as well but I know that ATT got the Intel as there was a big uproar about it being the inferior phone.

Either way I bet there are a lot more intel models out in the wild that have been refurbed and are now being resold under this offer than Qualcomm ones.
Ok so I tell a lie looks like the US are getting Qualcomm no matter which network, however as expected the UK and by extension the rest of the GSM using world are getting A1901 which is the Intel model.

So my point still stands about the XR being vastly improved over the X in the modem section.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.