Apple Begins Selling Refurbished iPhone X Models Starting at $769

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 4, 2019.

1. racerhomie macrumors regular

racerhomie

No one except tech geeks care about this. The display of the XR is stunning.

2. 19callum93 macrumors regular

19callum93

The only thing that would hold me back from the XR is the lack of 3D Touch. Haptic Touch that the XR has is no comparison to 3D Touch unfortunately. I heavily use 3D Touch, I’d miss it a lot.

3. UltimaKilo macrumors 6502

The X is a great device even now. I think for Someone who has an iPhone 6S or older, this is a good deal.

4. Relentless Power, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Why would the X affect the XR sales? If you think about it, how many average consumers are even aware that Apple is offering a refurbished iPhone X at this point? Likely not many. Still, you have to consider Apple only has so many of these units available, where the XR is far more in stock then a refurbished 2017 iPhone X would be.

5. vladi macrumors 6502

$750 for a refurb? Unless it's a simple box repackage (highly unlikely) I don't know why anyone would touch this.

6. alexnyc8 macrumors member

769 for a year+ old refurb! i guess a fool and his wallet are truly easily parted. Only apple can sell a refurb (someone elses problem) for nearly full price.

7. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

it has the same ppi as my iphone 7 which is to say that yeah its pixel density is sub par for the cost and for being a phone released in 2018

8. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Definitely good Apple is offering these again. Should've NEVER stopped selling these due to the XS model; I'm sure a lot of revenue was lost. These could've got highly incentive contractural upgrade agreements locked in.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 4, 2019 ---
    Curious if these Refurbs will be allowed as part of the trade-in upgrade program recently been offered?

9. scottinlexky macrumors member

scottinlexky

10. adamski23 macrumors regular

Did apple ever reveal why they stopped selling the x in the first place?

11. farkingdom macrumors member

I owned a 7 Plus and a XR and really cannot tell the difference between the two in terms of screen quality.
    I have then shown my friends and none could tell the difference.
    And if it’s garbage of a screen, then that makes the iPhone 6,7,8 garbage too in your terms no?

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No, they didn’t. But it was quite obvious why they did. The 2017 X would have been direct competition with the 2018 X, and the 2017 X would detracted sales from the 2018 X, because it would have been discounted, which the consumer would opted for the cheaper X, hurting Apple’s sales of the 2018 X.

13. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

I think they’re trying really hard not to sell any new XSes with this price difference.

14. JBGoode macrumors regular

JBGoode

Don't waste your time this has been going on for months regarding Xr screen. Most naysayers haven't even seen it and are just parroting what others are saying or reading numbers on a spec sheet while taking nothing else into consideration. You can go on until you're blue in the face but it's ultimately futile. They're everywhere. They come out of the woodwork, mutter something about ppi and iPhone 4 screen, and then disappear never be to heard from again. :) (or until the next new Xr thread)

15. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

According to these people, my 2017 MBP’s keyboard doesn’t work and my iPhone XR’s screen has a lower resolution than the original Macintosh.
    Apple refurbs get a new case, screen and battery. Really they’re as good as new.

If you believe in ghosts, it is possible the motherboard has processed some seriously questionable video for the previous owner. Some people might find this disturbing. In this case refurbs are not for you.

16. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Yes because components are free and shareholders will stop worrying about silly things like margin.

17. nordique macrumors 65816

18. QCassidy352, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019

QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

I'd take the X for the smaller size alone. The Xr's size makes it a non-starter, period.

That aside: 3D Touch, OLED, dual camera, higher resolution - just to name the big ones.

Well one could say the same for the 7, when the 8 came out, or the 6s, when the 7 came out, and so on.

They killed it because they introduced the Xr. There's really nowhere to price it with the lineup as it is, and in particular, with the Xr priced where it is.

So I guess one could ask why they introduced the Xr at all, which is a fair question. The only good comparison is how they killed the 5 when the 5s and 5c came out, and given how poorly the 5c was received, I'm not sure why they wanted to repeat that experiment.

19. FairlyKors macrumors member

FairlyKors

A brand new, faster Xr vs. a used, first-gen rough draft of a phone? Not the the X is bad, but it’d have to be $700 new for me to consider it on par with the Xr. The Xr’s facial recognition is much quicker, the CPU and COU are much snappier, the rear camera is better overall (IMO) unless you’re also into the first gen, sorta believable grainy portrait mode.

With all the fuss about OLED screens having issues (as overblown as that might be) Is still feel a lot better off with a second gen OLED than the first.

Just my two cents though.

20. kt87 macrumors newbie

Apple should've continued selling the X.

XR - $699
    X - $799
    XS - $899
    XS Max - $999

21. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

To each and their own.
    XR is way too big.

22. Jakewilk macrumors regular

A 720p display is actually the literal definition of “HD,” 1080 is referred to commercially as “full HD” sometimes though
    It actually doesn’t. They kept the same pixel density, but apple’s lcd panels today now have darker blacks and wide color, so they’re actually very nice. Not as good as OLED, but factually better than your 6+ display

23. Ramchi macrumors 6502a

Ramchi

XR will be great bargain (it is priced wat too high is another matter) for those who don't care about OLED or resolution. This is like buying i7 8gen laptop with 720p display. Lack of 3D touch is definitely a major blow for the price it asking.

Main difference or selling point is XR is Dual SIM device though iOS hasn't implemented many things like App Twins, considering 2 Years OLD iPhone X, XR is rather good.

24. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors regular

Romeo_Nightfall

what are you doing with your iphone that there could be something like image burn?
    as long as i know it switches the screen of automatically

25. bj097 macrumors regular

my friend wants to sell a new guranteed unopened one (iPhone X 64GB) for me at USD 860. However, no apple care, warranty expires. Should I get it?