Apple Begins Selling Refurbished iPhone X Models Starting at $769

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 4, 2019.

1. ROGmaster, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019

ROGmaster macrumors 6502a

I would say he can.
    He just needs to open a web page with a lot of text. The difference in sharpness will be noticeable immediately for somebody that is used to more than 326ppi.
    Also the difference in contrast/blacks is still quite obvious.

And I doubt the human eye can perceive "color accuracy"(whatever that means) on these screens.
    Anyway iphone X's screen is classified as "indistinguishable from perfect" in terms of sRGB compliance so i don't see what advantage in terms of color could the XR's display have.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You must no be too familiar with Apple refurb products. They are as good as brand new.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2019 ---
    It would have cannibalized the sales of the XS if they offered a cheaper X.

3. Goompa macrumors member

Goompa

Idk what ppl would say when Apple sold OLED phones as an only option... xD

4. Baymowe335 Suspended

326ppi is "indistinguishable" pixel density too, which is in the Xr. Can't have the argument both ways my man.

5. kt87 macrumors newbie

With the decrease in iPhone sales lately, giving consumers the option to buy the iPhone X for less could help sell more phones. Sadly, I think Apple was too concern over the Average Selling Price of their product lineup and it ended up hurting sales.

6. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Man that's a tempting price, but still just a bit too big for my tastes. If a 2nd generation iPhone SE doesn't appear by this time next year I'll probably spring for a refurb XS.

7. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

That's a pretty crazy because a new stock iPhone X retails for $899.

8. lazard macrumors 68000

9. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Refurbished =/= Used

10. Macintoshrumors macrumors 6502

Macintoshrumors

Ehhh I think th XR is pretty much a downgrade from the X. I mean aside from the processor, I don’t think saving a milliosecond makes up for an infirior phone all around.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2019 ---
    Wrong, Apple replaces all the parts with new ones and slaps a warranty on if. I wouldn’t by rerub from anyone other than Apple. It’s practically a new phone.

11. Stuey3D macrumors 6502

Stuey3D

Inferior phone, how?

The screen space is more efficiently used meaning I can get more on the screen at once (see example above in this thread)

The camera for the most part (apart from daylight zooming) is an upgrade.

The battery life is phenomenal and can last an extended days use without a mid afternoon top up unlike my X.

The only thing the X really has going for it over the XR is the OLED is better for movies (if your eyes can handle it, mine can’t)
    And it’s slightly smaller so if you have smaller hands/pockets. Otherwise the XR is an upgrade in most aspects.

12. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

XR has a better main camera, larger display, and battery life.

Apple only replaces the battery and chassis. The display, logic board, and other components are salvaged.

13. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I think you're misinterpreting "=/=", which is a facsimile of "Does Not Equal" meaning "Refurb does not equal Used"

Perhaps I should have dug up the proper unicode and used "≠" instead?

14. bj097 macrumors regular

Here in my country , the price of X 64G and XR 128GB are pretty close. I have hard time choosing which one. I will probably use my phone for another 3 to 4 years so I have to be careful. Both X and XR, in my opinion has their pros and cons.

What I like about XR
    - bigger screen size
    - bigger battery
    - larger capacity for the same price (128GB)
    - better CPU
    - stereo voice recording

What I like about X
    - obviously better and more colorful screen
    - dual camera
    - "thinner" edges
    - lighter in weight

What do you think? I can't decide. Any advice?

15. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Actually, the iPhone X is not yet close to even 1.5 years old.
    Dual SIM, again, to each and their own. Everyone has a different use case for their devices. But something fundamental cannot be changed, which is the huge size.

16. ROGmaster macrumors 6502a

No it's not.

17. Baymowe335 Suspended

It was according to your leader and yes, it really is.

18. bj097 macrumors regular

The only advantage of X over XR is the outlook design and screen. It's not deniable that obviously better color on X better design (thinner), but anything else, XR is better, e.g. chip, battery life, eSIM, express cards with power reserve, stereo sound recording, XR has a better future proof

19. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

I have not seen a single iPhone X with burn-in. The quality is excellent.

20. Coby1man macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2019 ---
    I don't understand this sentiment at all. Why is Tim Cook greedy for pricing a product at a price that sells? Even if it were priced at $2,000 it would still not make Tim Cook "greedy", perhaps he could be considered a bad CEO for pricing a product too high, but definitely not greedy. It's not like an iPhone is a basic human right that is owed to everyone.

21. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Incorrect.

My 4.5 year old 6+ is 401 PPI. The XR is 326 PPI.

Also, Nintendo was given endless crap for the Wii not putting out 1080p and so it wasn't HD. Now suddenly everyone is acting like 720p was adequate all along.

22. Jakewilk macrumors regular

You’re right on the screen res, thought you said 6s, my bad.

But 326 ppi is good enough, which means 720p has been good enough all along, as long as it’s on a small enough screen. And I say that as I type on my 326p iphone 7. Just my own opinion though

23. bj097 macrumors regular

Hi all. I am worried that my local non-Apple retailers sell refurbished or used iPhone while I intend to buy a new one. Is there anything or different I can check within the setting that I can make sure that the phone is brand new instead of refurbished or used? I don't have a lot technical knowledge

24. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Pixels per inch and lines of resolution are different types of measurement.

25. Jakewilk macrumors regular

You’re right, ppi is important in a phone, but lines of resolution is relative and therefore not important