Apple Being Sued for 'Purposefully Slowing Down Older iPhone Models' [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. mindsaspire macrumors member

Interesting--thanks for the info. Does anyone have experience using these devices for 2 to 3 years on whether they work fine after similar levels of battery degradation without randomly shutting down around the 40% battery level mark? If they are prone to shutting down, too, then this would indicate to me an inherent limitation of Li-ion batteries and not Apple's fault per se (though Apple should still notify users of this battery wear IMHO). If not, then this CPU throttling sounds to me like a hardware flaw being masked by Apple.

2. Act3 macrumors 68000

Keep in mind the 6s random shutdowns became an issue about a year or so into their release

3. Kmart9419, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017

Kmart9419 macrumors regular

This is such a simple solution. Before two years replace for free, after two years, just inform user battery is inadequate. Offer battery management windows style which includes user selected throttling. After two years, a deprecated battery is expected and nobody will complain about shutdowns. Replace battery or implement power management.

The longer Apple stays silent on this, the longer the damage to its brand. Everyday, there’s a lawsuit and the EU didn’t even get involved yet. Even if Apple loses all the lawsuits, the damage will not outweigh the damage to its brand. That will seriously cause financial damage.

If Apple thinks staying silent and waiting for the masses to forget throttlegate, Apple is sadly mistaken. As times goes by, more and more batteries will degrade and throttlegate will magnify. Come clean, pay up, make the fan base happy again.

4. Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

Considering the 10% usage that isn't phone calls, and the fact that my 6S still lasts about 3 days easy, I think I'll pass on your suggestion thank you.

5. Phonephreak Suspended

Phonephreak

Cool. Enjoy.

6. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

My husband has a 6 and it still runs, has never shut off by itself. Its my understanding this was a 6s issue only but that doesn't explain the need to throttle other models.

7. mindsaspire macrumors member

I agree. I don't expect my battery to last forever, and I'm okay with the CPU being throttled if that's the only feasible option for a normal battery that's highly degraded. But I just want to know up front that there is a problem with the battery and what my options are--whether it's to replace the battery, buy a new phone, or just live with the reduced performance.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 28, 2017 ---
    I have an iPhone 6 that would shutdown around 40% battery life prior to the throttle update. I assumed at the time that it was a software issue since an iOS update "fixed" the problem and since only certain 6s models were eligible for the battery replacement program.

8. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

9. Kmart9419 macrumors regular

Apple’s latest statement. “iPhones with older batteries may also more aggressively dim their screens, have lower maximum speaker volumes, and even have their camera flashes disabled when the system needs more peak power than the battery can provide.”

Now I know why I can barely hear my speakers. Using speakerphone was worthless. Dimming screen and disabling flash, geez thanks Apple. You crippled a lot more than just the cpu. I’m sure there are more hidden “features.” Add them all up and you should seriously upgrade to a new phone.

$29 battery replacement is your answer apple? With this kind of bad rap, you still want money?

And yet, you still won’t let users disabled your “feature.” This is like a fu half assed apology. And this will certainly not stop the lawsuits.

10. Act3 macrumors 68000

I never have used an android phone. I’ve been looking on google for battery current limit for android and all I see is stuff about limiting battery charge current to maintain battery health.

11. laz232 macrumors regular

I appreciate the position you are in - it is still a lie, however, even if one is forced to tell it (ref: Nuremberg defence - not equating the latest Apple imbroglio to anything like war crimes - nor do I condemn any individual Apple employee outside of the C-level positions for following the company line).

Many issues that have been covered up by Apple and later admitted to as wide-spread problems...
    --- Post Merged, Dec 28, 2017 ---
    *this*

What many people - including many so-called journalists - don't comprehend is that isn't just normal cell wear (which would be shown in decreasing battery capacity), but appears to be an issue with batteries that have otherwise ok (>80%) capacities - just not at the discharge rates that are being demanded of them. And Apple continuing to use small 1500-1800mAh batteries to shave off another 0.1mm of thickness is not helping matters...

12. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502a

The lawsuit will carry on regardless of Apple's statement today. I've already spent $1600 in the past few years upgrading from 5 to 6 and 6 to 6s, both due to excruciating slowdown on old devices. I'd imagine it's a lot worse financially for some of the folks here.

13. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

14. rjp1 macrumors member

I traded in an iPhone 6 for an iPhone X only because the 6 had become so slow that it was practically unusable. I had zero interest in the 7, 8, or X. I had no reason to upgrade outside of the phone quit working basically. The only app I use went from taking seconds to open to over a minute. After doing restores and no performance change - I decided to "upgrade." I now realize my phone was just crippled through software and there really was no reason to upgrade. It would be like selling me an i7 processor then downgrading it to a Pentium 2 after a couple of years - that is just wrong no matter how you look at it. I'm not going to sue, but it is just because I don't want to go through the hassle. For someone in a different financial situation, I would totally understand suing over this.

15. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

No.

16. Radon87000, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017

Radon87000 macrumors 604

More like “Oops we got caught. We will have to do better next time”.

Of course this still doesn’t fully address the forced obsolescence because they haven’t addressed throttling.

17. I7guy macrumors G5

Of course it addresses the “forced obsolescence “ meme. Apple was quite clear about it as they have been for years. A company doesn’t provide 5 years of support only to “hoodwink” its consumers through “nefarious” means into buying a new phone.

18. deferredAnon macrumors 6502

deferredAnon

If this was done by a car company, governments would be filing lawsuits left and right.

"We throttled your car's engine to extend the service life of car's cheap battery, but we kept both of these facts hidden from you for your own benefit."

19. Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

Not a good analogy since electrical power from the battery is not the prime motivating force on a car. You need to find an analogy using the fuel the engine uses.

20. deferredAnon macrumors 6502

deferredAnon

With the latest statement, Apple thought it was reasonable, too. We will change the batteries of three of our three-year old iPhone 6's.

Okay guys, I am heading back into my cave now. Take care.

21. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

How is asking folks to optimize their code for a MOBILE device 'something that doesn't exist yet'? Seems that earlier versions of iOS never had that problem. Were batteries better 7 years ago? No, but Apple used to write better software.

The link you provided shows that Android were at lease open about it, making it available for folks who wanted their software to run on all platforms. Like, isn't that what we always mocked android for? 'Fragmentation makes it hard to deliver a great experience'.

Well, guess who's been crippling their own 9 month old hardware? Really sad

22. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

Nobody, you're making stuff up now. SAD

23. hface119 macrumors member

The point is that regardless of the T's and C's, this isn't breaking any law.

You're paying attention to the headlines "Apple Slows Down Old iPhones" instead of focusing on the technical aspect behind it. You're acting like the hardware is actually "slowed" across the board, when in reality certain features and components are adjusted - on the fly - depending on what you are trying to do at any given point - to prevent a shutdown as a result of a degrading battery that would otherwise cause a shutdown or restart.

IT'S NOT ABOUT UPGRADING. Apple doesn't need to motivate upgrades by "slowing down" a device. This is literally designed to EXTEND the life of the handset. Their motivation to upgrade is with new hardware and software features, upgrade programs, etc.

24. Chrizx74 macrumors newbie

Chrizx74

Which app takes over one minute to open ?

25. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Actually , I'm approaching this from a technical point of view . Throttling . I spent years building and overclocking my systems, a well designed and implemented system does not need to throttle.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 29, 2017 ---
    Tough day ?