Apple Being Sued for 'Purposefully Slowing Down Older iPhone Models' [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. bighype macrumors regular

bighype

Apple needs to lose this one. Defrauding customers is simply unacceptable.

2. noxivs macrumors newbie

noxivs

I think customers should be properly alerted when their property is intentionally or even unintentially (more features) being slowed down. Also they should be warned about the amount of slow downs they'll experience every time they upgrade the OS and they have to be given the chance to opt out of them.
    This should even be law, enforced by governments.
    I must have the legal right to keep iOS 9 on my iPhone 6 if iOS 10 is going to slow it down, say 10 percent, and still GET SECURITY UPDATES, maybe not feature updates. And the time window being able to receive the security updates must be predetermined. Maybe, say, 5 years.

3. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

15 seconds to open the camera. Utter crap. SLOWER than a 10 year old NOKIA

4. kwikdeth macrumors 65816

you mean most expensive. they have the resources to make it happen, easily.

5. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

Stefan Bogdanovich and Dakota Speas? Those are awesome stage names.

6. teknikal90 macrumors 68040

teknikal90

Not true at all.
    Samsung recently put higher quality batteries in their S8, after the whole Note 7 fiasco. 95% health after 500 cycles now. The resiliency of the cells can be improved.
    Hence why the tiny batteries in the Apple Watch can go 1000 cycles before reaching 80%.

It's all about cost.

7. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502a

Jmausmuc

It’s not binary. The phone could also work at the advertised speed even if the battery is a little degraded.
    Just like the iPhones before the iPhone 6 did.

There enough reports of people with just one year old phones (including me) that have been slowed down to half the usual speed or less.

8. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Sigh, this is not what people are upset about. It's been explained 100 times in this forum already and I will make it 101.

By not telling anyone they slow the iPhone CPU down because of the battery, users with older phones will likely have seen performance issues in the newer iOS releases thus misleading us that our phones were no longer capable devices and needed to be replaced. Apple was wrong not to explain and provide a popup that the battery was not effective anymore, the solution they put in place was correct.

9. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

I take issue with Macrumor's pro-Apple bias criticizing the lawsuit and giving Apple a pass. Apple's 'workaround' of throttling CPU is just that, a workaround and it's not normal. It may be that Apple is trying to avoid issuing a recall of a hardware defect and resorts to a cheap software fix.

Other smartphone manufacturers don't seem to have implemented the throttling. We still don't know for sure the exact details, yet Macrumors presents Apple's questionable secret throttling as something fine and necessary.

If there is a defect with iPhone batteries that kill my CPU prematurely, I expect Apple to issue recall or free battery replacement, not force me to use a slow iPhone.

10. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

For those that state Apple has nothing to do with your phone after payment - they still actually own the software on it and you are only allowed to use it.
    I think I'd rather slow down than allow battery to kill phone or data. They weren't very clear about this.
    Lawyers need to make money and if this goes anywhere they'll make a lot more than customers will. I support Apple

11. realeric, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017

realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

I will sign on the plaintiff list of class action law suits. Apple, don’t be evil.

Edit) I had a battery issue on my 6S; short battery life, unstable phone, poor reception. I visited an apple store on Sep 9, 2016(Friday) 2:15pm. The 6S was still under warranty (11 month old). The service manager declined battery replacement under warranty but suggested me to pay $79 out of pocket. I had no choice other than doing trade-in the 6S for 7+ on Sep 21, 2016 at the same store. Now I can understand what was the issue. Apple has been trying to cover up hardware battery issues with software updates.

12. 69Mustang, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017

69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Classic example of the cover up being worse than the crime. All Apple had to do is let people know they were implementing battery management techniques to mitigate issues with older batteries. Some would complain cuz it's in the human DNA to complain. There wouldn't be any suspicion of planned obsolescence. But in today's climate secrecy breeds mistrust. This could have easily been a non-issue.

edit: it appears a 2nd lawsuit has come out of the woodwork. one more for a tri-fecta?

edit2: aaaaaaaaand... we got 3 ladies and gentlemen. Hindsight is a mofo.

13. NomadicTy macrumors regular

Yeah, that excuse can work on the 6S and below. But for those 7 users who bought their iphones just a few months ago, then get throttled down right around the same time the new phones come out, that excuse don't work. Unless lithium ions just magically lose holding power around the last quarter of the year...

14. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502a

I won’’t disagree, but that doesn’t negate my comment. If reality (big assumption) is a balancing act between performance and stability, customers will complain no matter what path is chose. Reduce performace to guarantee stability? COMPLAINT! Guarantee performance in spite of stability issues? COMPLAINT!

I’m also betting that at least some of this is a gut-check response. If Apple devices started randomly shutting down - regardless of the physics - it would be a marketing nightmare.

15. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

Yes even tho I love apple what they doing is ****ed uo hopefully they fire Tim all he cares about is money

16. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

This should go the way of certain other apple lawsuits. Actually what would be interesting is if the lawsuit was not certified a class action. Let everybody sue apple separately.

17. rjp1 Suspended

Not buying Apple's excuse.

Why is it that iPhone 5S and all the ones before never have this problem of just turning off? Something else is going on...

18. euvnairb macrumors regular

My iphone 6 was probably one of the worst ownership experiences I had with any iphone model. A fully charged phone would go to less than 30% in an our and then after I plugged it in it would jump to 80%. Ridiculous. Right now my Series 2 watch is significantly slower than when I first purchased it. It makes me really hesitant to install updates going forward. I used to install them as soon as they released.

19. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

If Steve wasn't fired for anntenagate, Tim won't be fired for batterygate.

20. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

This wouldn't have been a problem if Apple hadn't done their usual secrecy bull **** and simply TOLD US what they were doing.

If they had told us that when the phone battery is failing, performance can be reduced to avoid shutdown, very few people would have been upset. They could have also only kicked in the performance drops when the battery is at lower percentages where shutdowns are likely. Instead it's across the board, even when on power adapter.

JUST TELL US WHAT YOU ARE DOING, APPLE. Stop being so damn secretive all the time. Secrecy is good in some cases, like concerning new products, but stuff like this, the company needs to be more transparent.

21. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

And Let’s just not forget once if the reason phones get slow too after updates is cuz the optimized that iOS really good only for the latest phone

22. ghanwani macrumors 65816

23. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

It always amazes me at how people are so willing to take the side of massive corporations over individual consumers.

Anyway, my own experience with iOS 11 is that it has absolutely destroyed the performance of my iPhone 5s, which was humming right along before the update.

24. alirz macrumors regular

Someone needs to start this law suit here in Canada also...I’ve been saying this for years that Apple had al2ays slowed down their previous models when new phones are about to come out. I’m sure this “feature” existed in iOS 9 too.

25. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

at 100% utilization, the iPhone 6 hardware uses more power than iPhone 5S.