Apple Being Sued for 'Purposefully Slowing Down Older iPhone Models' [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Apple is not completely at fault when consumers keep touting greedy profit as a pro argument encouraging this behavior.

2. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502a

Jmausmuc

I agree that slowing down is better than shutting down but again, I think a phone this expensive should work at its maximum capacity for at least two years if not more. I can understand that batteries degrade but my iPhone 6S is already halfed in Geekbench after just 13 month and that is way to soon.

I am not accusing anyone of fraud or planned obsolescence or anything like that. I am just disappointed in the quality of these devices.

I bought an iPhone X 3 weeks ago for more than 1.000 dollars and now I have to expect it to get slowed down in just one year? A 1.000 Dollar phone (or my 700 6S for that matter)?

3. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Then I'd need to take more OCD pills to help me overlook apple's constant nagging to update.

4. Mark Booth macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

I don't know who wrote this MacRumors article but I'm bothered by the author's statements of supposed fact when, in reality, the "facts" aren't fully known at this time. MacRumors should strive to remain more impartial when reporting Apple related news.

Mark

5. MarioPhone96 macrumors member

MarioPhone96

Hm. It’s a bit odd how my 5s, which is at 83% battery capacity, has never had a single shutdown, but the 6 and 6s have.

I also have a Touch 5 and 4s that have crappy batteries, but they never randomly shut down.

So something must be wrong with the 6 series that Apple isn’t admitting. Pushing this CPU throttling “feature” unannounced was very sneaky of them imo.

6. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

This is literally EVERYWHERE and i am already sick from hearing about it especially by tech handicapped people.

Having said that, i bet there is an deeper issue with iPhone 6/6S devices they won‘t admit

7. kwikdeth macrumors 65816

isnt that what they have just done? Companies dont go around volunteering this information because it creates a perception issue and Apple, more than anything else, is rabidly obsessed with their perception in the public sphere.
    its like that scene in Fight Club when the narrator explains a car recall. If the perception cost is low enough, they just sweep it under the rug. Now that somebody has found evidence and had it published, they make a public announcement. Now everybody knows, now people can either replace their battery or buy a new phone. They'll eat crow in public for a couple months, then it will blow over, like most every other Apple mis-step over the years.

In the end, they'll still keep selling crazy amounts of iPhones.

This somewhat reminds me of back when OS 10.7 came out, and there was the new memory management scheme which kept closed Apps still somewhat in memory so in case you wanted to re-open something you had just closed, etc. But, it didnt quite work right, so you'd end up having to command line "purge" your RAM periodically to get back gigs of memory that was reserved but unused because you'd had Photoshop open 30 minutes earlier. Eventually, Apple tweaked the algorithm and it became a non-issue. I imagine with the situtation as it is now, that will likely be the outcome of this... simply tweaking the process so its less noticeable.

8. Kognito macrumors regular

Kognito

Interesting isn't it? We've 3 iPhone 6S models in the family, all purchased at the same time and all started exhibiting the shutdown issue at the same time. They were covered by the battery replacement programme but it does make me wonder if there's an issue with the battery design for all devices that Apple doesn't want to admit as it'd be liable to replace all the batteries in 6S and 7 generation phones as both now seem affected.

9. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Yeah, a lot of editorializing in this MacRumors article...

10. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

Simple solution: Battery warning popup. Replace battery at Apple Store as required.

Apple's solution: Reduce performance discretely. Don't tell anyone until the media starts digging. "Prolong" the life on an iPhone by making it unbearably slow.

Whoever at Apple approved this decision is a moron.

11. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

12. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

What apple is doing is smart? Really? I'd call it lazy. An absolutely lazy solution.

13. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

It's on the front page of The Washington Post, so it's already gone somewhere.

14. ipponrg macrumors 68000

That's a false assumption, presumably made by a non-software engineer. Maintaining a deprecated code base is not always trivial especially when adding features as an OS level.

If anything, Apple should've been more transparent on the risks of updating to newer iOS. They seem to enjoy touting the positives.

15. gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

Well Apple, I am a big fan but this one you deserve the punishment. You could have been transparent and let your customers know about this instead of hiding from them.

16. Bill Av macrumors regular

Does the throttling happen when the phone is plugged in? Could a battery case "fix" the throttling?

17. LordVic macrumors 603

Not sure I buy the idea that everyone should get new iPhones, But given that this clearly was a design failure on Apple's part, Any phone that is exibiting throttling due to this battery mis-design, should get batteries replaced for free from Apple for a minimum of 2 years from purchase date.

Simply put. Yes, batteries degrade, But if Apple couldn't design their battery components and capacity to provide stable full performance for at least 2 years, than they goofed. Simple fact, that within 2 years, the batteries should have enough overhead that this threshold of "shutting down" should not be met.

who knows why they did this. PLanned obsolescence? A missed decimel place accidentally put in some spreadsheet? Anything now is just speculation.

But Apple goofed, and instead of providing the reasonable, but more expensive fix of replacing the batteries on these devices, They lied (a few weeks back claimed they didn't throttle performance on older devices, when they did) and had a secret "feature" they didn't admit to until caught that throttled the CPU's and affected performance.

the "work around" they used isn't a bad one to prevent the phone from just dieing in peoples hands. But Apple needed to be up front about it, and offer a PROPER solution by way of replacing the batteries.

The way they handled it was pretty unethical.

18. Ankaa macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 5S and it would randomly shut off (and don't power back on because it says it needs power) at anywhere between 10% and 40% charge. So this doesn't seem to help me, at all... but yes, it's slow as f*

19. Pezboy macrumors member

Pezboy

So... you aren’t interested in software updates that add new features? How about security updates that make iPhones a leader by a huge margin in security, not interested in that either? Your statement is insane. When you buy from Apple you aren’t just buying the hardware. You are paying a premium for their software above anything else.

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You consented when you first used the phone as well as agreeing to the terms when upgrading. You got no case.

21. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

He was probably expecting his iPhone be hooked up to a car battery that can last for years before he charges it again...SMH. I'm not at all technical nor do I claim to be one, but common sense dictates, if he uses his phone heavily every day, battery life will degrade over time.

22. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

I'm not giving Apple a pass, but this lawsuit states that Apple is slowing down older devices when new ones come out, and that's not known to be true.

23. LordVic macrumors 603

Seriously. if the phone had a popup that sdaid something along the lines about "Your battery is not operating at proper levels, your phone will be in low power mode until a battery replacement is done", sure, some people would grumble. But the outrage wouldn't be here.

Instead, it feels like Apple tried to sneakily hide a battery design issue. Probably because for Apple, putting out the software patch secretly to do this was overall cheaper than a battery recall / replacement program.

24. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

The EU needs to step in too. Take the opportunity to make downgrades possible by law

25. kwikdeth macrumors 65816

you're going to realistically claim a company worth nearly a trillion dollars cant keep maintaining a legacy code base for an OS that was being maintainted up until a couple months ago, that isnt barely two years old to begin with, running on current hardware? Somebody should tell Microsoft, there's literally TRILLIONS to be made off customers by adopting Apple's business model. Your argument makes sense if you're talking about an OS that's several years old.