Apple Being Sued for 'Purposefully Slowing Down Older iPhone Models' [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

Well, newer phones can draw much more power than existing phones could on a single cycle. And also, models before the 6 certainly turned off randomly all the time with age - dying around 20% or high on an old battery was so common it became a joke around my circles. Not saying it is that necessarily of course, but there's a lot of variables to juggle.

2. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

so you rather have your iPhone restart 10x a day? Awesome.

Also, if you don't want your iPhone to slow down, pay the $70 for a new battery install.... its like saying... "I drove my car 100K miles and now my transmission just stopped working. PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE!! They just want me to buy a new car. Instead, my car should last forever."

3. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

Batteries degrade after a while with any rechargeable device but Apple should have been more transparent and informing the consumer about future updates, that they were looking to install some type of throttling software to prevent overloading the old battery.

4. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

Good. No sympathy for Apple in this situation. They brought it on themselves by hiding the truth, and then forcing the throttling on us.

5. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502a

Jmausmuc

I think MR could be a little more critical and ask questions like:
    - why are only phones 6 and up affected?
    - why is the iPhone 7 already affected even thought it is just a little more than a year old?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2017 ---
    Because the choice for a year old phone (7) is binary: either turn off or be slowed down, right?

6. noslenam macrumors regular

noslenam

If it was only that easy to not upgrade! Some of the apps I use are updated by the vendors we use and without keeping your phone up to date the apps won’t function. I do think that Apple needs to keep signing older versions of iOS so that many can go back to versions that gave them better battery life and performance.

7. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

The phone doesn't need to be in low power mode. Period.

A simple warning is good enough. Let the consumer decide what to do. Tesla doesn't lower the performance of the car once the batteries are old.

Such an idiotic decision could have only been invented at Apple.

8. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

Indeed the lawsuit is misguided. They should sue Apple for actual problem which is a design flaw in iPhones and/or batteries. Throttling the phones is just a way of coping with the problem.

9. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Exact same thing happened with my iPhone 5s. Apple declined to replace the battery. They must have known this was brewing though because they replaced my 5s with a brand new one. I didn't even know they were still manufacturing them or keeping them in stock. They did charge me $79.99 plus tax & shipping, but I expected that. The new phone doesn't experience any of these troubles. What ticked me off though is they forced IOS 11 on the phone against my will even though I had a complete backup of 10.3.3 from my old iPhone so the phone is still slower overall. I think Apple is also deliberately slowing down phones they wish would be replaced by another purchase based simply on model, not just battery life. :(

10. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502a

Jmausmuc

You do realize, that people on here were denied battery replacements, because their battery was still above 80% health on the diagnostics even though they were throttled, right?

And yes, I would complain if my transmission stopped working after just 100.000 miles.

BTW: why are so many people on here always resorting to car analogies?

11. itsmilo macrumors 68030

itsmilo

For me its more about the lack of communication. If they had mentioned it before getting called out, it would have been a different story. Now it makes them look like they were trying to hide something and hold their customers for stupid

12. joonyaboy macrumors 6502

joonyaboy

13. 2807 macrumors member

I think Apple will need to disclose and display the minimum battery power needed to run the phone fast and flawless in the manner that they market it.

If the battery falls below that capability during the Apple Care warranty, then you get a new free battery.

And, after Apple Care, you have to pay for a battery, but at least you can see on your phone if you need one or not for the "peak" as-new capabilities.

14. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

For a company that's renowned the world over for having the most powerful and influential marketing, they sure did a piss poor job on this one.

Furthermore, as their products are increasingly more reliant on battery technology (that isn't easily user replaceable) they'd better do a better job on servicing times. I don't know how fast their iPhone/iPad battery replacement is (never made use of it), but Apple are quoting me a wait time of 2-3 weeks for a battery replacement for my rMBP. That is unacceptable from my stand point. The reason given is that Apple no longer provide the service in-store. Instead it has to be sent back to a repair center because... you guessed it... glue! So disappointing.

15. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

one more thing guys lol

16. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

At the moment we don't know how much of a difference this throttling makes. I suspect you will only notice it in apps that max out the cpu/gpu like some games.

But I think people are getting this battery throttling confused with Apple releasing a new iOS update which runs slower on older hardware because it requires more resources and isn't as optimised. If Apple turns this throttling off, it won't suddenly make peoples 5S's run like it did on iOS9 or 10 (especially as iOS 10 had this throttling too).

17. LordVic macrumors 603

absolutely. THere are about 100 different better ways of handling this than what Apple did.

As I said in another post. What Apple did was the cheapest rout to hide and mask the problem to their benefit, which is highly unethical.

it was nothing more than a work-around solution for them, and not a true solution.

They will need to be held responsible for such decision. It should be pretty damn clear that Apple knew they were doing something wrong when they felt the need to lie and hide what they were doing.

18. Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

How many of these people's phones have been confirmed throttled with a battery health level above 80%?

Here's my deal: beyond people freaking out and people just exclaiming otherwise in the anonymous waves, the only true examples that I've seen were trying to confirm the throttling by using examples of bad health batteries. If we're getting floods of reports stating people with health levels above the serviceable cutoff being throttled, then there's a problem. But I've seen little evidence of this other than people saying it's happening.

19. BeamWalker macrumors 6502a

BeamWalker

Maybe Apple should offer a battery replacement for less money than an entire entry level android phone. I thought about a replacement for my old iPhone 6, than I saw the price.

20. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

Not really. Their involvement in your property continues as long as they update the software on the phone and you continue to update.

I’m sure they’d be alright if everyone thought how you did, though. They could save a lot of money if they didn’t have to care about phones after they’re bought.

21. UL2RA Suspended

Yeah, this is absolutely ridiculous.

22. RowellE macrumors regular

RowellE

Same. My 5S will especially shut off once it reaches 30% when it’s out in cold weather. And since I live in Seattle, that’s all the time.

23. gladoscc macrumors 6502

Apple did; did you read? They introduced throttling to the iPhone 7 when the iPhone X and 8 came out, and they said they plan to enable this for future devices.

24. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

Does Samsung, Pixel, Motorola, etc., all degrade speed as the battery gets older? I've not heard of it, nor have I heard of issues with "aging" Android phones shutting down during "peak workloads". Is this just Apple? I've not heard of laptop computers slowing down the CPU when the battery reaches 50% or gets aged. Sure, battery LIFE declines, but it doesn't affect performance. What Apple is doing sounds "not right".

If the iPhone can't stay performing at full speed when the battery is a year or two old, then Apple should replace batteries FREE OF CHARGE instead of throttling the performance.

25. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

Users are just ignorant. Apple are doing the right thing. Otherwise we would have continue shutdown on older iPhones.
    A recent real life benchmark showed most model running better with lastest iOS. Apple is doing the right thing