Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple's Board of Directors will meet next Tuesday to discuss possible replacements for Google CEO Eric Schmidt, who recently resigned due to increasing areas of competition between Apple and Google.
Whoever Apple elects as a director will be closely watched. The current board has been criticized by investors and corporate governance experts for its lack of independence from Mr. Jobs.

One person close to Apple has said in the past that Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook may be appointed to the board in the not-too-distant future. It's unclear whether directors will consider a board seat for Mr. Cook at next Tuesday's session.
Cook has been widely praised for his handling of Apple's day-to-day operations during Steve Jobs' medical leave of absence for the first half of this year and has been viewed as a possible successor to Jobs when the Apple founder officially steps down as CEO.

Article Link: Apple Board of Directors to Meet Next Tuesday to Discuss Schmidt's Replacement

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Cook will be appointed to the board if it's decided that he is Jobs heir apparent.

Comment

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
I have already sent in my application, I got a call back from Apple HR asking me to come in for an interview next tuesday.

Comment

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
9to5Mac had a poll on this earlier...

What if Mark Zuckerburg was on the board? I think having someone involved in the social networking revolution would be an important asset for Apple's future plans.

While I'm not a big fan of his, I don't think an alternative would be any better in this area.

Comment

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
9to5Mac had a poll on this earlier...

What if Mark Zuckerburg was on the board? I think having someone involved in the social networking revolution would be an important asset for Apple's future plans.

While I'm not a big fan of his, I don't think an alternative would be any better in this area.
is apple really about social networking?
personally i dont see them as a social networking co.
and also i dont see social networking being really big still in about 3 years, unless it is totals different then we know it as now.

Comment

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
is apple really about social networking?
personally i dont see them as a social networking co.
and also i dont see social networking being really big still in about 3 years, unless it is totals different then we know it as now.

No, they're not. However, I think Apple is starting to realize its importance. There's already the rumors about iTunes 9 fraying into the social media area, not to mention iPhoto's involvement already. Perhaps integration into the OS would be the next possibility.

Comment

revbarabbas

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2009
I'm personally hoping for someone from the gaming industry, maybe help apple get into the console market ;)

Comment

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Due to the fact that I will have to stop posting and participating in this forum, I have elected to decline any offer.

Comment

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Guys, calm yourselves. Boards are usually highly successful *external* business types - they don't have to like or use the products, just know good business practices.

I wouldn't count it out, but putting Tim Cook on the Board would not be a common move for a major company. The whole point of a Board is for EXTERNAL business knowledge.

Comment

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I'll do it. I'll push Apple's mobile offerings back into the powerhouse arena WITH razor thin thickness. The price will by sky high but I know how you all like "premium products".

EDDYISGREAT 2009!!!!

Comment

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The most sensible thing to do would be to put the "next CEO" on the board now.

At some point soon Steve should be transitioned to emeritus status, with full access and input and decision making, through the CEO of the moment.

Steve J and Steve W can go on picnics at the new Cupertino Apple campus facility and also the east coast data center. I suggest they fly model rockets, just like at De Anza College. :D

Rocketman

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.