Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annonymouse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2023
I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max and somehow managed to get a deep scratch bear the bottom of the front glass.
I purchased Apple Care and took the phone in but they said it doesn't affect functionality so they won't fix it.
While I understand why they can't fix every little scratch, this one is deep and is very noticeable and uncomfortable to run my finger across, and I expect to keep this phone for 3-4 years.

So, the strange predicament that they put me in is this; if I "accidentally" crack my own screen (in the safest way possible, in order to avoid breaking any other element of the phone) then in theory they will agree to replace the front glass/screen and I'll have the outcome I wanted.
I really don't like the idea of this but I'm not seeing any better option.

Does anyone have any anecdotes, tips, or general help regarding this? Thanks in advance!

Annonymouse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2023
Is paying for a screen replacement an option?
I don't see the option in the care app and the Store staff didn't mention it, a new screen without Apple Care is about £380 so I expect this would be the charge, given I pay for Apple Care and if I had accidentally cracked it, it would be included, this doesn't seem like a fair price. If it was around £100 with Apple Care then I'd pay it

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Just smash it with a hammer but make a video of it on YouTube. The views might pay for your new phone 🤷‍♂️🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Splitrail

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
A screen protector may have prevented the damage, and eliminated the whole problem, including this discussion of potential fraud.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I’d be more bugged by the permanent service history message in Settings after the display replacement, but that’s just me.

Reactions: Brooke795

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
this discussion of potential fraud.
ah.. where's the fraud? Screen cracked. Doesn't matter circumstances of cracked screen.
Does anyone have any anecdotes, tips, or general help regarding this? Thanks in advance!
Is it AppleCare or AppleCare+. I had a similar situation w/ iPhone Xr w/ AppleCare+, although, I waited until just before the 2-years ran out (on the off chance it was actually dropped and cracked horribly). I think it cost me $50 to get the screen replaced under AppleCare+.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
ah.. where's the fraud? Screen cracked. Doesn't matter circumstances of cracked screen.

Of course that’s not the case. T&C indicates coverage from “unintentional and unexpected” external events, like just any other accidental warranty program in the world. Now whether or not they know is an entirely different matter.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Thanks that's super helpful advice, I'll do that then, that will sort it all out. Brilliant. Now, where did I put that time machine?
I've had iPhones since 2007 and never scratched another display in all that time, without a screen protector, this is an anomaly and your pointing out of obvious 20/20 hindsight is completely unhelpful. Your advice may as well be "you shouldn't have scratched it"
Good point!
Why DID you scratch it if it's so important to not have that scratch? 🤔
"anomaly" 🤣
More like carelessness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.