Apple Celebrates Pride Festival With Rainbow Apple Watch Bands for Staff

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Jun 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple helped celebrate equality at the LGBT Pride festival in San Francisco yesterday and thanked employees who registered to take part in the event by gifting them a limited edition rainbow Apple Watch band.

[​IMG]

Participating staff received the bands with a card from the company explaining the idea behind the Apple Watch accessory. Reddit user 'Sakusuhon' shared the above image of the band and card, which reads:
    Apple staff including CEO Tim Cook joined the annual parade on Sunday as a mark of the company's continuing support for equality and diversity, with many employees taking to social media to show off the colorful bands.

Proud to be representing #applepride #sfpride #applewatch #nylonband A photo posted by @rikiri on Jun 26, 2016 at 1:27pm PDT

Sadly, there's no indication that Apple plans to include the nylon rainbow bands in its official Watch accessory range.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Celebrates Pride Festival With Rainbow Apple Watch Bands for Staff

2. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

3. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Very cool, Apple! I want one (and I don't even have an Apple Watch).

On another note...I can't wait for the day a simple, harmless (and beautifully positive) news item like this doesn't need to be regulated to the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. Now THAT will be progress in the world...

4. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Must... Resist... Watch Bands joke... For... The good... Cause...

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Honestly I'm more interested in the strap just because it's reminiscent of the classic Apple logo.

6. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

What about having some pride in your Mac lineup..?

7. Benjamin Frost, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016

Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

I, too, would like a world without sin.

We are all sinners; it is not a thing to be celebrated. We should condemn all sin, whether it is murder, theft, greed or sexual abuse.

I wish Apple would concentrate more on innovation and less on watch bands and politics that has nothing to do with Apple's products but only serves to divide and alienate its customers and employees.

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Hey TC , how about some new MacBooks pros to celebrate LGBT!!!

9. nick42983 macrumors 6502

nick42983

That day will come when people are free to associate with who they wish, instead of having their lives and livelihoods destroyed by really evil people fishing for a lawsuit for not baking them a cake.

10. BruceEBonus macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

Can this company get any more desperate in their attempts to deflect the public gaze from their product lethargy?
    The new Apple adage: If in doubt. Watch bands.

You will be smiling at the customers.
    You will be wearing of the new bands
    You will not be talking about the iPhone
    Now get out there and perform!

11. Kabeyun macrumors 6502a

Kabeyun

Nicely done, posts 5, 6, 7, and especially 9. Perhaps a new record for hijacking a nice topic and pivoting to negative snarkiness.

12. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah, it's getting a little OTT. It seems my ignore list exponentially grows whenever there's a PRSI thread, regardless of how inoffensive the subject matter is.

13. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Whoa. That's a good watch band.
    But I need an Apple Watch 2 first.

14. villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

Hell, how the **** does this equate to celebrating sexual abuse or "sin", whatever that means in the middle ages you're posting from?
    How the actual **** can something like this "alienate" customers and employees?
    How does this even qualify as "politics"?
    It's cheesy, I give you that, but how can this possibly be controversial?

Just... how.

The only way I can imagine somebody being offended over this is if they find the very fact that gay people exist offensive.

In which case, quite frankly, you have a big problem and it goes way beyond Apple or watch bands.

15. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Which is the reason why this has been posted under the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. It was a forthright and correct decision in hindsight. ;)

Regarding the watch strap ... Godawful ugly to me. What an eyesore. A custom watch face would have been better, IMO, but it would probably require watchOS 3.

16. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

In this time right after the horrible Florida event the need to show the world that we're all equal is higher than ever.
    However there is a thin line between honest compassion and daft marketing piggy back riding.
    I truly hope Apple stays on the right side.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm pleased you support gay rights.

18. Romy90210 macrumors 6502

too gay for my likings... How about some breathtaking products and less watch bands....

19. usersince86 macrumors 6502

usersince86

If an Apple employee believes the LGBTQ lifestyle is incorrect, are they allowed to have that opinion? Doubtful.

PC "tolerance" thinks differing viewpoints are "hateful." Baloney.

Love and disagreement are not mutually exclusive, IMHO.

20. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

21. villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

That's not an "opinion". The notion that somebody else's lifestyle is "incorrect" does not even make sense.

22. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

Agreed!
    Replace LGBTO with BLACK and I hope you understand why many people don't agree with what you said there.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nothing like a front page PRSI thread to bring out the bigots.

24. villicodelirant, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016

villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

I don't know if "hateful rhetoric" is the correct word.

As much as I am making an effort to think of another explanation I think OP simply lives in some fold of the space-time continuum where they don't have electricity and burn the occasional witch.

It does not make sense otherwise, that post was completely at odds with reality.

http://xkcd.com/1357/

[​IMG]

25. miniroll32 macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.