Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook today took to Twitter to announce Apple's Racial Equity and Justice initiative, with a $100 million commitment.

timcook.jpg

The effort will be led by Apple's vice president of environment, policy, and social initiatives, Lisa Jackson.
Beginning in the United States and expanding globally over time, the initiative will challenge the systemic barriers to opportunity and dignity that exist for communities of color and particularly for the black community with special focus on issues of education, economic equality and criminal justice reform.
Cook says the initiative will build on Apple's existing work in the racial justice space, significantly broadening its scope and impact through a model that was also used for Apple's environmental efforts.
Lisa has revolutionized our environmental work by looking across the company, bringing existing teams and projects together under one umbrella, dramatically expanding those efforts and compounding and magnifying their results. We want to bring that same holistic focus and companywide scale to racial justice and breaking down barriers to opportunity across our society.
Apple says the effort will build on its work with historically black colleges, community colleges, STEM education, and underserved students and teachers, as well as forging new partnerships with organizations like the Equal Justice Initiative.

Apple is announcing a new developer entrepreneurial camp for black developers ahead of WWDC 2020. In the supply chain, Apple is also committing to increasing its spending with black owned partners and increasing representation across companies it does business with.

Cook says that within Apple, "significant new steps" toward diversity and inclusion will be made because there is more "we can and must do to hire, develop, and support those from underrepresented groups."
This is a comprehensive effort governed by three principles: representation, inclusion, and accountability. I think accountability deserves special attention. Whether it is at Apple or anywhere else in society, the burden of change must not fall on those who are underrepresented. It falls heaviest on those in positions of power, leadership, and influence to change structures for the greater good.

Our commitment is to meet this challenge. Listening, learning, and acting collaboratively. Apple has never shied away from tough conversations about tough topics. In fact, they're the only way we make progress and that is still true today. We will do our part, and I want to send our gratitude to everyone who is pushing needed changes forward in their communities. Thank you.
Apple already maintains an inclusion and diversity website and shares regular updates on its efforts to diversify its workforce, push pay equity, and work with underserved communities to empower students and educators.

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Announces $100 Million Racial Equity and Justice Initiative Led by Lisa Jackson

Last edited:

Ceviche Lover

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2012
All this idiot ever does is throw money at the problem. Funny how he does or says nothing about the lack of free speech/human rights violations in China. Same these with these basketball players like LeBron/Kerr/Popovich. They're quick to criticize our own countries but stay silent due to their addiction to chinese money.

Comment

SoApple

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
All this idiot ever does is throw money at the problem. Funny how he does or says nothing about the lack of free speech/human rights violations in China. Same these with these basketball players like LeBron/Kerr/Popovich. They're quick to criticize our own countries but stay silent due to their addiction to chinese money.
You’re right on the hypocrisy side of it.

I think this is a good initiative nonetheless. I’d prefer they throw money and ACT on the problem then sitting idly.

Comment

djcerla

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Tim could step down and appoint a black man.
How special. How about instead moving some manufacturing back to the US and hiring people who need a job?
Hiring people based on race to fight racism. Genius.
If he was really serious about BLM, he should step down and get them to hire a black CEO.
All this idiot ever does is throw money at the problem.

At display, the damage that a sociopath at the helm can inflict to a nation.

Comment

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Was popping in say that this thread would be absolute trash. Didn't expect it to happen so immediately. Impressive.

If he did nothing, there would be outrage. If he gets involved, there is outrage. In a no-win environment, I prefer the side of action, effort. The 'do nothing,' 'me first and me only' approaches are proving pretty catastrophic in the US.

Interested to learn more about what the critics here are doing to support Black Lives Matter? Bitching about CEO participation in a tech thread? Neat.

Comment

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
If he was really serious about BLM, he should step down and get them to hire a black CEO.
He's gay, so it's okay. Checkmark checked. Steve Jobs definitely put him in that position because he knew what the future would be even in his death, hiring employees based on superficial qualities. It had nothing to do with the fact that Tim Cook knew how to make buttloads of money for Apple. None whatsoever....

Comment

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I know Timmy means well and I support this, but it just makes Apple's actions regarding China not that long ago even more disgusting. I guess racial justice is a profitable bunch of buzz words whereas defying a communist regime that makes American police brutality seem tame in comparison costs billions.

Yes I know, whataboutism, but this still leaves a bad taste in my mouth how corporations bow to China and then look to profit off a man murdered by law enforcement.

Comment

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
How special. How about instead moving some manufacturing back to the US and hiring people who need a job?
Lol, this ignorant attitude always makes me want to puke.
I suppose you want garbage manufacturing jobs that nearly nobody in this country enjoy or take pride in for yourself, your friends, family, & loved ones?
No?
You just have an idea of some “faceless poor” being the recipient of your bad idea?
Lol, in this age of AI, calling for jobs that we have been slowly evolving away from as a first world society for the last five decades, & that quite certainly will be amongst the first to become fully autonomous is the height of living in a bubble.
The idea that such a moronic move would somehow be the best move to battle racism is so far fetched, I literally don’t even know how to respond to that piece...

Comment

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
It amazes me how many corporations are throwing "million of dollars" for social causes. If all of these money were combined, just think how many unemployed people they can feed and help out with rent payment. Since Tim didn't blink an eye in throwing $100 million, how about lowering the cost of all Apple products? I didn't know know the money from Apple is Tim's personal bank account. This sound more like a publicity stunt. So how exactly how will these money reduce or stop racial injustice? It all start with each individual.

Comment

Tor Eckman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
This is just political and moral posturing from Cook. There are so many things he could do with his personal wealth to help people if he really cared -- so could a bunch of other top apple people. Clowns like Cook must feel bad about having so much when so many have so little and this is his token display to make himself feel ok about it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.