Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadeByApple

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2015
I don't know too many CEO's that go on record saying business is down even when business is down. With that being said, I can appreciate some of his remarks. Yet, the iPhone is getting heavier and more expensive by the year. I just want an affordable, sexy, awesome phone that does not cost a monthly mortgage payment hehe.

But I don’t see the reason he needs to speak publicly on behalf of apple. His time and energy could be used on better things.

dan110

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
'Merica
What are these signs? Under his watch the company hit $1T (just a couple months ago). They just adjusted their earnings, which if correct, will still be the 2nd largest in their history..

Stock valuations aren't hard indicators of a company's success. Fifteen years ago Microsoft was THE TECH behemoth. They appeared to be untouchable. All they focused on was their bloated MS Office and Windows applications until ... they started to lose money.

Tim at Apple is doing the EXACT same thing that Ballmer at Microsoft did so many years ago. He needs to go now BEFORE it's too late.

Last edited:

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Apple's a great company and a better stock to hold than most tech stocks in a time of a market downturn and volatility. Yeah, there's economic headwinds, and yeah iPhone sales have kinda plateaued. But Apple will figure it out. I agree with other posters -- time to buy not sell.

weup togo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
Steve Jobs warriors will say that whoever runs Apple in the future.Times move on.

They said the same thing during the 80s and 90s as a series of incompetent bureaucrats and bean counters slowly strangulated Apple. Glad you're cheering for layoffs though. I'm sure all the wide-eyed employees who have never seen bad times before appreciate the vote of confidence.

cb3

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
I like how the chairs they're in make it look like they're planning on removing them in post, so they float for the whole interview.

ib4mKoI.gif
That the new Apple iChair. Mostly invisible but it has a small notch for the camera and sensors. But - its covered by your butt so most people won't even see it.

J Michael T

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
I wanted to come here and defend Tim but I just noticed that all of the cities on my weather app have been deleted and restored to the default list with no changes to the phone on my part. I don’t remember ever having to do so much maintenance to keep my Apple devices in sync and error-free. Yes it is amazing what we can do today; but this is as bad as it’s ever been for the Apple ecosystem in my twenty+ years using it.

Apple needs to pause and clean up before the next iteration of whatever comes next.

Maybe this is good for Apple. The pressure to innovate and please shareholders can sometimes lead to bad decisions.

Niklas_nick

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2016
I'm sure Apple has a product pipeline but from time to time, Cook should open it for more than just a second.

Reactions: rbrian

smaffei

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Apple made it through the 2000-2003 downturn without any cost-cutting layoffs, because SJ cared deeply about that. We will know how sick Apple truly is when they have a layoff.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. If layoffs occur, then they are officially "manning the pumps."

Reactions: dan110

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
He is right in some ways. There is a lot of that we take granted with Apple products that there was a lot of work in the details that was done. But when he says "pipeline" and "incredible" and other things, we tend to focus on that and he is just riding the Steve Jobs wave.

slineaudi

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2009
Apple is no longer “cool”, it was pushed in a direction like Bentley or Ferrari, what are cool brands in their segment, but they are not something the mass market has on it’s radar.

It's funny you say that... there's a quote from Steve Jobs from 2004: "Apple's market share is bigger than BMW's or Mercedes's or Porsche's in the automotive market. What's wrong with being BMW or Mercedes?" Apple is a premium brand. They've never built lowest-cost products. That's why the products are so good. The iPhone was $500 bucks on a two-year carrier subsidized contract 10 years ago!

Reactions: thasan

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
ALL I want to know is if the AAPL Board has asked Cook to RE-sign ???

And if NOT, why NOT ???

ALL the signs (for a Mgmt change) are there !

The board, Why make him resign ? His doing as his told , he does not set the profit expectations , they do. His finding places to make cuts etc to meet those .

I think Tim “could” do a good job, but is just a puppet of the current board who bow to stakeholders and are greedy.

Reactions: 5105973

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Apple CEO Tim Cook will appear on CNBC's "Mad Money" show this evening, where he will speak with host Jim Cramer,
According to Cook, Apple's ecosystem of devices and services is "probably under appreciated" by naysayers, which is something that he's heard over and over again over the years.
Apple's long-term health has "never been better," the product pipeline has "never been better" and the "ecosystem has never been stronger," especially when it comes to services, according to Cook.

What a BS PR stunt! Two conmen interview! I can see why he chose the crook Cramer to spill his heart-out.

"We are misunderstood!" ... under appreciated.:(

Battery replacement cost us sales. Apple made-off like a bandit making people get newer iPhones when all they needed was a battery replacement. Even at full cost, the battery is better than $700+ new iPhone!:mad:

We are focusing on services ... the real focus of the company now. Not going to be good without the best hardware - or customers. Apple still outsources its Cloud storage; with its rivals.:rolleyes:

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
The market is now making it Crystal Clear to ALL ... AAPL won't RE-bound until Cook is replaced !

The "Bean Counter Cook" played his Role well, but his Days as "believable " CEO are clearly over !

Cook did get one thing right today, "this is America, & you can say what you want" ... App Devs included, right Tim ???

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
It's pretty hard to think long-term if Apple is so secretive. Not that sharing all their plans is a good idea, but I get why people wouldn't believe him. What's next after iPhone? When is AirPower coming? Nobody knows.
But what we do know is that there’s been very little coming out of Apple since 2012. In the meantime competition has caught up and learned a few tricks from Apple. Stagnant development on Apple’s part and alienating long term customers.

Even the new laptops introduced at CES put Apples newly offerings to shame.

It’s time Tim Cook acknowledges and treat value sensitive markets like China accordingly.

Apple can’t keep up with developments in China. They’re blessed some companies aren’t allowed to sell in the USA.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
No, the iPod was nowhere near the iPhone.

Apple sold 1 billion iPhones in ten years. It sold over 300 million iPods in the same time. Granted, 300 million is less than a third of 1 billion but what makes the iPod exceptional is that it owned 90+ percent of the MP3 player market. The same is not true of the iPhone, which is still eclipsed by Android.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple sold 1 billion iPhones in ten years. It sold over 300 million iPods in the same time. Granted, 300 million is less than a third of 1 billion but what makes the iPod exceptional is that it owned 90+ percent of the MP3 player market. The same is not true of the iPhone, which is still eclipsed by Android.
Yes android eclipses IOS in market share, not in profits though. And some manufacturers sell more android than apple sells iphones. Some don't. So what is the point of market share if profits are the game?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.