Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'Apple's Most Important Contribution to Mankind' Will Be in Health

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In an interview with Mad Money's Jim Cramer that aired tonight, Apple CEO Tim Cook discussed a wide range of topics, including Apple's future product plans, its health ambitions, wearable sales, and Siri improvements.

According to Cook, Apple's product pipeline has "never been better," a line that he often repeats. Apple is, in fact, working on new services that are coming this year, says Cook, though he declined to provide additional detail.

[​IMG]
    We do know that Apple has a major TV-related service in the works, with more than a dozen original television shows and movies being produced right now.

Cook also said that health is a major focus of Apple, and that health may actually end up being "Apple's greatest contribution to mankind."
    Cook pointed towards Apple's work on Research Kit and CareKit for increasing research pools and improving bedside care, along with the Medical Records feature that allows users to access their medical records from multiple providers right on their iPhones.

Cook also mentioned the Apple Watch earlier in the interview, and said that he regularly reads emails from customers who tell him how the Apple Watch has changed their lives by motivating them to be more fit or finding heart problems through the new ECG feature that detects atrial fibrillation. "These are life-changing things," said Cook.

Apple's wearables business, which includes the Apple Watch and the AirPods, has already exceeded the iPod business by 50 percent at the iPod's peak, Cook went on to say.
    Cook was also asked about Siri, and whether Apple would throw more money at it if the company had "unlimited capital." In response, Cook said that Apple is "putting a ton of investment" in Siri.

There are more than 500 million devices using Siri in 21 languages and 30 countries. Cook says Apple wants Siri to be in every country, and that "quality is going up."
    A complete transcript of Cook's Mad Money interview is available from CNBC. Cook also covered topics like Apple's earnings downgrade, iPhone XR sales, and its dispute with Qualcomm.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'Apple's Most Important Contribution to Mankind' Will Be in Health

2. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

That's really nice, Tim. Here I am still having trouble getting my Apple Watch to detect even one of my hearts. :(

ECG can't fint heart.jpg

3. KPandian1, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019

KPandian1 macrumors 65816

He has done this before; now, he has done it again!

The great Physician Doctor Saviour Tim Cook M.D.

AW with the ECG is great, but don't rush to glorify yourselves Tim, nowhere near that noble profession's contribution to mankind!

4. MTW macrumors regular

What, you want to be a medical equipment manufacturer? Make good computers. Sell them for money. Make more good computers. The end.

5. ericinboston macrumors 68000

While I applaud Apple, Fitbit, and similar vendors for their health watch thingies, all of these devices are far, far from accurate. 100% of them. Right now they are nothing more than expensive watches that promise health benefits but provide 0 accountability (as documented in their Terms Of Use too) and provide poor/inaccurate reports.

Apple and other vendors need to create something extremely accurate and also the government SHOULD strongly regulate the devices since they are marketed as medical devices. Apple and others need to be held accountable if their health device fails to be accurate and sends the owner into medical distress.

I would LOVE to own a medical device wrapped around my wrist that gives extremely accurate heart info, blood pressure info, oxygen level, etc. while allowing me and my doctor and an ER staff member instant and EASY access to the logs of these reports going back as far as 180 days. I think this kind of device would be extremely valuable.

6. now i see it macrumors 68030

Seven years of "in the pipeline" comments is enough. Not so much the phrase, but the empty pipeline. I think seven years of yawning is long enough to come to the conclusion that the pipe line is a pipe dream. But in his defense, what else can a CEO say?

7. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

Apple Watch is going to be huge for Apple as time goes on (not iPhone huge, but Mac huge? Sure). Sticking with the product and refining it while the rest of the industry just abandoned the market for the most part has payed off handsomely and will continue to grow well in the future.

8. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

9. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

10. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Honestly it’s the one thing I don’t really care about...

I don’t use the health app. Don’t use an Apple Watch.

I’m at a perfect height and weight and rather not have the tech companies dabble into my Heath Care etc.

They already have enough of my data

11. TVreporter macrumors regular

TVreporter

Yeah that pipeline couldn’t even update the iMac in 2018...

12. Sasparilla, Jan 8, 2019

Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

13. Wildkraut macrumors 6502a

Wildkraut

What they want is to make $€¥£!
    If med worth, they’ll do...
    If cars worth, they’ll do...
    If fishing worth, they’ll do...

14. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Sad how Tim Cook feels the need to go on tv to defend the company and products when there's bad news. Did Steve Jobs ever have to do that?

15. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

I do agree that in the future the health functions could be really important with some caveats:
    1. They MUST maintain each person's privacy so that information doesn't leave the watch/phone unless it is encrypted or UNLESS the person specifically shares it. No one wants a hack and have all their information out there.
    2. Real-time alerts, like the fall alert, will be important, but they are just at the baby stages now. e.g. real time calling 911 if a heart attack is detected. Diabetes etc. All have tremendous potential.

Hopefully Apple reaches that potential.

16. HiVolt macrumors 6502

HiVolt

Yeah then make a f!@#$% effort to get the ECG function available outside of the United States.

In Canada, as of early December 2018, Apple didn't even bother applying for approval with Health Canada, 2 months after the S4 went on sale.

17. npmacuser5, Jan 8, 2019

npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

I would disagree with your analysis of accuracy. Define accuracy and then define the use of the device. My watch detected a good number of high heart rate readings. The readings were in excess of the standard by 50 or more points. Accurate enough to show a need for more testing and diagnosis. Sure enough with doctor heart systems my readings were within 10 points of a system costing 4K. Was my watch as accurate as the 4K system, in numbers No but, both clearly showed a problem that needed attention. Without the watch tapping me on the wrist, this problem could have degraded with serious consequences. Accuracy defined as what needed to seek medical advice for diagnosis. Apple products more then meet this criteria.

18. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

From what he is/has been doing with leaks of hiring, I see Apple making a huge contribution in a number of health related areas. I'm excited to see what they can accomplish over time.

19. Soccertess macrumors 65816

The health aspect of Apple Watch has huge potential if more sensors are added. I was surprised they went for the 10k a watch angle first.

Problem is that Apple only works with iOS, a true gift to mankind would be to all operating system, not just a gift to mankind if you buy into the eco system.

20. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

I thought it was the Mac?
    What’s a computer anyway...

21. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

With the way MacRumors readers are, they’d find a way to hate on Cook even if he announced a cure for cancer. Probably by saying he should focus on the Mac.

22. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

I swear this is the fourth time I’ve seen you post this. Internet points aren’t real!

23. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

Oh? Is that why Tim still hasn’t submitted the AW4 ECG feature to any regulatory bodies outside of USA?

24. ericinboston macrumors 68000

I don't have the articles from 2018 but there were numerous reports that the Apple Watch (and others) were inaccurate for heart rates. I can tell you from experience that numerous Fitbits are terrible at counting steps (which is why I bought it in the first place back in 2016) and that's their sole function.

Again, I welcome and dream of a day when such a medical device can be used, is trusted, and is accurate. We are still in the beginning stages of such technology. But accuracy is critical. Responsibility is even more critical. All of the numerous devices found in hospitals are vehemently designed, tested, and repeatedly tested and maintained to ensure accuracy. When those devices fail and a lawsuit comes, it's never the hospital that is liable...it's the manufacturer. This liability needs to apply to said Apple Watch-type devices in the future. Apple can't simply shrug their shoulders and say "well, I guess the Watch didn't work that well that day...but our TOU says we can't be held liable" if the Watch fails to work as promised for medical usage.