Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'Apple's Most Important Contribution to Mankind' Will Be in Health

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

I am very negative, but I try to be less so. But negativity is not what attracts me to this forum. I come here because this is what I would consider to still be one of the best Apple forums on the internet.

When I say this site is too negative, I’m not pretending that I’m Suzy Sunshine. It feels like it’s easier to find a thread here about how everything sucks, which frustrates me, than the things that are good. And it feels to me every time somebody posts something positive, people have a response about how good things aren’t good enough.

2. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

This is an over generalization. My son is a marathoner and wears an Apple Watch. Your circle sounds like it’s different than my circle.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    Apple Watch has received a de novo classification from the fda. It’s the first mass market device to potentially catch afib and take an ecg. Afib is a serious disease with long term consequences. So yeah if the watch catches something and prompts a doctor visit that ultimately saves your life, then Tim is right on the money.

3. TracesOfArsenic macrumors member

TracesOfArsenic

Hmmm, I'll rattle off a few:
    1. A keyboard on a $4,500 (AUD) computer that doesn't **** the bed
    2. A phone without a camera bump
    3. A pro laptop without a touchbar
    4. A pro laptop with ports that allow a pro workflow
    5. Magsafe
    6. A phone that doesn't slip out my hands
    7. A phone that truly allows one handed use
    8. A phone with a headphone jack
    I could go on. Most of these aren't even impressive. In fact most of them are things they've done in the past and have regressed on for the sake of "innovation" and "courage".

4. ipponrg macrumors 6502a

This has one of the oldest Apple BBS communities. I've been visiting since 2001, but I never signed up till I had a question. You're visiting the wrong section if you're looking for positivity. The news here has always been toxic even back then, but you will find the other sub forums to be more "positive". With the direction that Apple is currently going, News and Rumors might not be the place where you want to be to see optimism.

With that being said, the spread of negativity is anecdotal of course but has merit. People are upset. With rising prices, Apple hasn't met the needs of those people as much as before despite still spending. The people that frequent this site and participate in these forums are commiserating, and that is the general trend even amongst bloggers and the tech community globally. It doesn't help that the same people keep adding fuel to the fire by shoving Tim Cook / profits / "data" down other people's throats.

I find the above the humorous part about this forum particularly. It's interesting to hear both sides as they argue/flame/converse with each other.

5. E.Lizardo macrumors 68000

He didn't even imply that.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    I finally got a series four because unfortunately I'm a fall risk and live alone. One huge advantage over most other dedicated devices is it works outside the home.

6. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

And that’s why Apple users are also going to the Alternatives forum and starting arguments there, because of frustration at Apple prices. Or maybe you just assumed I was talking about this section specifically and about people being negative about Apple specifically.

7. Bacillus, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

I’m not negative
    I think that Cook is the best pretender we can have (humble guy, just thinking in the customers’ interest, frantically striving for better cost prices with Quarrelcomm) :eek:
    Now actually he’s a little underpaid for his Contributions to Mankind - but that might be linked to a suicide strategy of a mass provisioner reaching out for the rich upper class, where the competition has become better and more affordable.

8. dilbert99 macrumors 68000

I didn't get that. I trust a lot of what he said and his concerns are valid.
    Apple is marketing the health features of the watch as a panacea which it is not.
    But I guess you wouldn't expect a company to list all the issues with its product.

Don't you agree that the watch could turn someone in to a patient unnecessarily?

9. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Maybe, but only if they ignore what the Apple Watch says. He brings up a single time, for example, when I’m pretty sure you have to have a few before the watch says you should go to see a doctor.

10. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

Why should
    'Apple's Most Important Contribution to Mankind'
    (quote Tim Cook)

be in "heath" when providing a platform from which other people can build upon and do better than what you can evisidse is surely better even when the end-product lands outside of the Apple eco-system?

Or lets parse what Tim Cook is sayng:

"believe in me; you need Apple"

No we don't

11. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

1) Doesn't really have anything to do with innovation, but you are right in that it is unacceptable. That said, mine hasn't had any issues (yet).
    2) I don't know why anyone has an issue with the "camera bump". I actually think it looks good. Most cases remedy this issue anyway.
    3) They offer two without. Why the hate for the touch bar?
    4) USBC is incredibly versatile.
    5) Yeah, I miss magsafe, but it's not the end of the world.
    6) That's your fault.
    7) You can't use a 4.7" phone one-handed? I can use my XS Max one-handed and I'm a below-average sized male.
    8) The 1920's called, it wants its technology back. Go wireless, you'll be glad you did.

12. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

Shhhh... he spends his entire day on MacRumors trying to be the first poster. Sometimes he gotta be using old gifs to beat the clock. Don't ruin his fun with your facts.

13. allapple macrumors newbie

allapple

......they will never top the MAC nor the IPHONE! ....all introduced by STEVE!!! ...but I believe they will ruin them...all by TIM.

14. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

If only it helped improve literacy.

15. RedGala macrumors regular

RedGala

Dude you've been reusing the same fake graphic for the past several months. It's not even funny anymore.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    Yes.

16. trainwrecka macrumors 6502

There is a lot of data about the effects of wireless signals on man. It'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out in 20-30 years.

17. dilbert99 macrumors 68000

That wasn't the point he was making. For the young Apples false positive rate was high and thus if they go to a doctor they could be a patient for life unnecessarily.

18. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

He brought up the idea of a person going to see the doctor after a single time. That's something the Apple Watch actually says to not do.

19. dilbert99 macrumors 68000

People remember the bad things and never the good things...
    You skip over all the positive messages that get no responses...

20. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

To be fair there is a lot of repeat negativity from some of the same posters, which is countered by positivity from some of the same posters.

21. tallscot, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019

tallscot macrumors regular

tallscot

My only problem is this site doesn't seem to have moderators to get rid of off-topic conversations.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2019 ---
    Actually, my other problem with this site is the large number of fanboys who don't see any problems with any of Apple's products, UNTIL Apple fixes the problem, which is when the fanboys talk about how brilliant that fix is.

Apple has the best OS on mobile and desktop, IMHO, but their hardware decisions the last handful of years are very puzzling to me.

For the first time in a long time, they revised their revenue down. Their Mac market share has gone down. They should list to people like me. The negative people, or as I would call them, CUSTOMERS with constructive criticism.

22. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

You could have stopped with “a large number of fanboys”, let’s be real.

23. thealkimist macrumors regular

thealkimist

Cross platform means less optimization. That is what happens when you choose to go cross platform.