Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'Apple's Most Important Contribution to Mankind' Will Be in Health

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Sinfonist macrumors member

Surely there's a difference in usage. Apple's devices are specifically for personal information rather than for use by medical practitioners. I don't see a doctor/hospital using an Apple Watch for accurate diagnosis (especially in the USA), but I can see it alerting them to a possible problem that can then be checked (or enable them to focus resources away from unlikely issues). While improved accuracy is always good, there's a lot of benefit in broadening access to diagnostic healthcare devices as long as the user is aware of the limitations. Early detection and seeking medical attention can be critical.

In my home, I have many cheap DIY devices to test for damp, detect electrical circuits, measure temperatures remotely, test electrical continuity, check for water leaks, etc. as well as checking my heart rate when exercising etc. They certainly aren't good enough for professional use, but they do help me detect and correct problems before I need the professionals, tell me that I need to call someone in before the problem becomes too serious, or enable me to monitor ongoing issues. Most of them have similar caveats to the Apple Watch.

2. Morgenland macrumors 6502

Morgenland

Did you check what you say? Pls. ref.!

3. hiroden macrumors regular

4. 25ghosts macrumors 6502

I hope they will contribute to health because Apple is seriously currently contributing to severe health deterioration but producing devices which makes people SIT more and move less and bend the neck over a tiny display which ruin the eyes and body posture...

Look at how folks are hunch backing over their devices ALL THE TIME... That in long run is going to become a huge problem. Which of course does not apply only to apple...

5. netdudeuk macrumors regular

If they were really bothered about improving people's health, they could make the watch cheaper and allow it to work with Android. That's not going to happen.

6. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Garmin will disagree. They've been making products with proactive features that benefit consumers by making them healthy. Apple, on the other hand, are focusing more on reactive feature with questionable high level of false positives that will help line the pockets of the medical industry.

7. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

Still waiting for the ecg outside of the use Apple. Chop chop…

8. amyhughes, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019

amyhughes macrumors newbie

Debt has an ultimately negative effect on health. There's no way Apple could ever overcome the negative effects of the pricing of its products through the production of more products, not even ones that monitor health. Apple's ultimate "contribution" to mankind is the transfer of wealth from people who earn their livelihood with labor to those who earn their livelihood with capital, and I'm not so sure that's a "contribution". They should stick to accepting accolades for creating things that are impressive and interesting and productive, and not try to attach moral significance to what they do, as on balance they are not "contributing" there.

9. ckhris1613 macrumors regular

Yeah because being perfect height and weight there is no chance of cardiovascular issues.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    Yeah because being perfect height and weight there is no chance of cardiovascular issues.

10. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

In other words, Garmin doesn’t have any of the functionality of apple and never will because they (garmin)!compete with Fitbit.

11. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Who could have foreseen you being negative about almost everything Apple does?!

12. tallscot macrumors regular

tallscot

Yeah, I'll go out and buy a $399 Apple Watch the same day I buy a $350 smart speaker. :/

Apple's revenue projections are lowered...
    This is on "Mac Rumors" or "Cancer Rumors"?

13. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

And the point flew so far over your head that its wings melted.

14. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Eat healthy, exercise. There, I beat Tim to it! I think AAPL is tracking and alerting on symptoms, not causes. Therefore, the health benefits will be reactionary.

15. tallscot macrumors regular

tallscot

My point was I expect people to discuss the Mac on a website called MacRumors. So what was your point that flew over my head?

16. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

I agree with you, they should lower the price. Can you imagine wearing the AW and see your heart rate spike when they announce new products along with a price increase .

17. ipponrg macrumors 6502a

It also would be nice if they made the Apple Watch more standalone / toned down. Imagine a value Apple "Watch" (or fitness tracker) that tracks your health and has an iPod shuffle feature in it. It doesn't have GPS, text message checking, or any of the extra phone features that adds to cost.

I'd be first in line to buy that one possibly, although I don't think Apple is trying to compete the Watch against companies like Garmin's budget line though.

18. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

I like the ideas you've mentioned and is more practical. Listening to music thru AW is way more convenient than having to carry something such as an iPod or iPhone.

19. Soccertess macrumors 65816

Your Apple products?

So wouldn't want other people's Apple watch to work with Android to protect your data? Then just stick with the Apple ecosystem and you can believe your data is protected! I think people should be given the choice, just like how SIRI sucks and Google now wins hands down.

The main problem with Apple Watch is you can't use most of its communication features with most people because the Apple watch isn't that popular around the world, and Android is BY far the most used OS in the word. That's just a fact.

I think Apple Watch is great and it would dominate considerably more if it was compatible with Android. But by restricting it only to iOS, you have limited customers, limited usage, and utility goes down with a smaller user base.

20. thealkimist macrumors regular

thealkimist

How are you supposed to optimize for a system when you can't control your own hardware and it's underlying software?

21. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

Canada is even more of a regulatory mess than we are.
    I’m certain there is a test product with that name somewhere in Cupertino.

22. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

That this places is a toxic trove of negativity.

23. Soccertess macrumors 65816

Course they control the hardware and software! And you are saying that it would be impossible! So every other developer can make cross plateform software, but Apple can’t???

24. pdmpolishing macrumors member

'Apple's Most Important Contribution to Mankind' Will Be in Health

Hmm! Apple's hubris strikes again.

25. ipponrg macrumors 6502a

Funny how negativity attracts you back to this forum. Are you sure you aren't negative yourself? :)