Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'Apple's Most Important Contribution to Mankind' Will Be in Health

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2019.

1. brucebrendon macrumors regular

Can't wait for the iWatch that tells you taxes are certain

2. Morgenland macrumors 6502

Morgenland

Pepe, how do you come up with such a silly thought?
    Do you want to collect likes with your grumpy fraction of mac-rumors spirit brothers?

E.g.: In the area of Europe, it can be assumed that Apple has taken the obvious but stupid way to hire nativ speakers in UK companies. Who now lost all their authority related to Brexit.
    And the European market is currently not easy addressable for regulatory means.

3. mrhick01 macrumors 6502

The revenues weren't, however.

4. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

I am starting to find Tim very entertaining. AW will be a great contribution in health? I guess Tim is not aware there are many fast food chains, readily available junk food, all-you-can-eat lunch and dinner buffets and the average American obesity is increasing. Just look at the retail stores and you can see how lazy people have become where they can't put the merchandise back where they belong after deciding they no longer want to make the purchase (Sorry but I had to get this off my chest.). The biggest money maker is in pharmaceutical which I am surprise to see Apple is not heading in that direction.

5. radus macrumors 6502

Apple could enable it as "informational" and later label it (after after certification) as a "medical device".

6. oldoneeye macrumors member

oldoneeye

I don't want apple having my health data - let me save it locally as a csv or something fine - but I don't want it sold off to healthcare companies .... no thanks ! I like in the UK, and the only people that should have this data is the me and the National health service. Anybody else wanting to "productise" me can ... .. please go away

7. joueboy macrumors 65816

As far as I'm concern most people I know that wears Apple Watch are not very active people. I know people that wears Garmin fitness tracker are all runners and very active and almost half of the people I know that wears Fitbit every now and then runs marathon mostly 5K. So Timmy claiming he contributed to health with Apple Watch is like McDonalds claiming they're feeding the hungry people. Apple Watch is cool it has nice features but more on fashion but those who want a smartwatch and fitness tracker.

8. Justanotherfanboy macrumors regular

Justanotherfanboy

Yeah...
    Because there’s an infinite amount of money in computers, right? Everyone you know has a computer in every room of their house? People replace computers every year or two?

Find a different song & dance.
    This one doesn’t work.

Everyone is carrying a mobile computing device with them at all times now.
    The market for full size computers (vs phones & tablets), is shrinking to primarily work and school.... & even those havens are finding value in tablets instead.
    People will continually need to invest in their health, year after year, until death... this is a factually accurate statement. To try to add longevity & peak health to your customers- and monetize along the way, seems like a reasonable business decision.

9. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I see health and wearables as major opportunities for Apple. AirPods and the Apple Watch are getting so popular among people I know, almost everyone either has one or wants one. Continue to add in health features and I think it can make a big impact. People will joke, but computers are really becoming less and less important to what I consider the future of computing. We'll have Mac's like we do today, but mobile iOS devices and wearable's should dominate Apple's focus moving forward.

10. nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

11. mrhick01 macrumors 6502

Hasn't Apple been better with that than others?

12. YaBe macrumors 6502

YaBe

If they were really into making people healtier they would stop doing everything they are doing right now.

Sure a tracker can give you more info, but if there were no computer, no tablet or cell phones and no wifi we would def be healtier.

Some call it progress, but it is exactly that progress that ruined our healt, reliance on phones and computer is bad for your health.

13. nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

Would be hard not to looking at the others..

14. ivan_k Contributor

ivan_k

Right. Thats why iPhones historically having high-mid to very high SAR levels and we are pushed to wireless headphones / earphones (super healthy Airpods here we go).

Such statements is just what it is - a reality check for any sane persons to know that making top $$$ is number one priority.

Sorry Apple, but some people know that health is not only about a wireless watch measuring heart rate and reminding when to drink a glass of water or... to breathe.

15. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

Yes. He cut short a vacation in Hawaii and came back to address antenna gate. It was really hitting the fan back in 2010.

16. BlargKing macrumors 6502

BlargKing

Honestly I don't see why they don't make the AW compatible with Android. Its a nice looking watch and seems to offer some good features, but I'm never going to buy one if its locked to an iPhone. I'm sure theres plenty of Android users who would like the AW as well, Apple is missing out on a huge chunk of the market by limiting it to iPhones.

17. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

Ludites are using the internet - who’d a thought it?

18. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I think a new 17" MacBook Pro would be a bigger contribution to mankind.

19. TheRealDGD macrumors member

TheRealDGD

No, because Canada would not issue them what they want, it IS NOT A MEDICAL DEVICE, sometimes Canadians don't get caught up in the hype!!

20. Defthand macrumors 6502a

It’s simple. Cook is trying to restore investor confidence and preserve or restore the value of Apple’s stock, which is a large part of his compensation. I have a hunch he’ll bail if he’s successful.

21. racerhomie macrumors regular

racerhomie

Lol battery life has improved around 4X times on iPhone.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    Hey it helped me improve my health. Stay more active. If you are lazy intentionally nothing can save you from your bad health.

22. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

seemed to be a sales pitch to get those with old phone to upgrade
    - no Tim! I will change the battery instead! :)

23. racerhomie macrumors regular

racerhomie

He isn’t telling you to do anything. Replace your battery dude . If you are satisfied with your device.

24. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

Really? you didn't feel the video was like a sales pitch? with lots of pre-planned questions. Jim's daughters iPhone 5 question for example?

25. joueboy macrumors 65816

That's exactly my point it's not Apple or Timmy to claim how they contributed to people's health the device may aided you but still it's up to you if you wanna do something about it. Marathon organizers has more credibility to claim they have contributed to health than Apple. But then it's Tim Cook we're talking about here nothing but publicity and marketing stunt that comes out of his mouth.