Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cook_hero.png
Over the past few months, Apple CEO Tim Cook has spoken about augmented reality several times, giving us an idea of what Apple might be working on behind the scenes. In a new interview with BuzzFeed News, Cook hints at Apple's approach to augmented reality, suggesting it should encourage, not replace, human contact.
"Augmented reality will take some time to get right, but I do think that it's profound. We might ... have a more productive conversation, if both of us have an AR experience standing here, right? And so I think that things like these are better when they're incorporated without becoming a barrier to our talking. ... You want the technology to amplify it, not to be a barrier."
According to Cook, there is "no substitute" for human interaction, a belief that further lends itself to the idea that Apple is exploring augmented reality experiences over virtual reality experiences. In fact, in the interview, Cook says that while VR "has some interesting applications," he doesn't think it's a "broad-based technology like AR."

Cook has made many similar comments in recent months. In July, Cook said Apple was "high on AR in the long run" and that the company continues "to invest a lot in [AR]." He said he believes augmented reality "can be huge," and in August, he called it a "core technology."

In September, when discussing AR/VR, he said be believes augmented reality "is the larger of the two," because it allows people to "be very present," engaging with one another while having other visual things to see.

According to rumors, Apple has a research team working on augmented and virtual reality, exploring the AR/VR field and investigating how the company could embrace augmented or virtual reality in the future. Apple has reportedly built prototype virtual reality headsets, but Cook's continued comments on augmented reality indicate Apple is more heavily invested in that technology.

Apple has made several AR-related acquisitions and hires in recent months, purchasing companies like Metaio, Faceshift, and Flyby Media, and according to BuzzFeed, Apple has also recently been attending meetings with immersive content companies like Jaunt.

BuzzFeed also points out that some of Apple's existing hardware could be part of a future "AR ecosystem," including the iPhone 7 Plus with its dual-lens camera system, the Apple Watch with GPS and accelerometer, and the AirPods, equipped with dual accelerometers, optical sensors, microphones, and an antenna.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Calls Augmented Reality 'Profound,' Says it Should 'Amplify' Human Contact

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
In July, Cook said Apple was "high on AR..."
This explains so much!

In all seriousness though, I get this dismal feeling that Tim has absolutely no vision... fast to follow and all that. Augmented Reality has been around for how long now? I do agree that it has far more potential than VR, at least in the current state of things (the only people I know who care about VR are the guys who have jobs in that industry).

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
He seems to be jumping on whatever the cool thing is without contemplating the long term implications for Apple. First they acquired Beats because they figured that it would make Apple seem hip yo and now they figure that they need to get their something AR out whether it makes sense or not.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
When did apple go from being a proactive company to such a reactive one? :(
How do you know? As mentioned, Apple already has an R&D team. These things just don't come out overnight. Real useful VR/AR is not a stupid goggle playing videos.
Look at Microsoft Hololens, that's where the real technology is, and even today Hololens is still a work in progress.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
If you're willing to put in a bit of effort then you already have a completely unlimited virtual reality available to you that will never be surpassed. Enter a world where *literally* anything is possible. Does not need any devices but there are devices made to help...

rd2.jpg

REM Dreamer

Reactions: maxsix

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
He seems to be jumping on whatever the cool thing is without contemplating the long term implications for Apple. First they acquired Beats because they figured that it would make Apple seem hip yo and now they figure that they need to get their something AR out whether it makes sense or not.

How do you know this?

With respect to any technology Apple engineers and scientists are researching and developing, are you really expecting the company to reveal their long term plans with respect to how such technology will/could be employed in future products?

Reactions: Gasu E.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014

they acquired beats for many reasons other than being "hip"

you're distracted by the current implementations of AR. remember touchscreens sucked so bad before the iPhone? that's how AR is like right now.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Tim should stop signaling what Apple's intentions are. Just keep quiet and announce the product when it's good and ready. Stop giving the competition clues as to where they should be spending their R&D dollars.

If he were really smart, he'd use misdirection like Steve would occasionally do to keep the competition off balance.

kakabu

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2014
With AR, I guess it is nothing to do with iPhone or mac but Apple wind shield in iCar. It shows useful info while you are driving on the road. It makes sense than mobile or stand still devices.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
He reminds me of any political candidate who is suddenly thrust into the spotlight and is given one or two simple talking points to which they always revert when they're unable to discuss topics spontaneously.

He has a few sound-bites about Apple's north star, its DNA, Steve Jobs being the spirit of the company, making the best products, and now this idea that only he seems to think is profound but is really quite obvious, which is that you're more connected to someone if you're not watching a video screen blocking your vision.

stevet

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Apple, when at its best, is reimagining devices and operations that already exist but aren't done right, or can be done better. Between the fiasco that is the Apple Car to this absolutely ridiculous interview/direction that he thinks things are going I am, for the first time contemplating selling my Apple stock. He does not have a clear vision of what he wants the company to do. He hasn't guided anything new out of Apple since he's been CEO and just doesn't seem to capable of doing anything about it.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I am unsure of this negativity here. As others have said Apple is rarely the first out the blocks with new tech. However they release the most considered version.
For me, AR is everything moving forward and will be massive. VR good for immersive games or watching 'TV' with a headset, but AR offers more opportunity for a lot of fields.

Given the size of Apple I am sure they are capable of operating on many levels and how does anyone know on this board what they are and not developing.

The reactions are odd to say the least. This is exciting news and we still have nice phones, watches, computers etc. to compliment the tech.
The great thing about technology is that it is constantly evolving. AR has everything to do with the mac, as how is the content developed for the consumer?
[doublepost=1476402923][/doublepost]
Apple, when at its best, is reimagining devices and operations that already exist but aren't done right, or can be done better. Between the fiasco that is the Apple Car to this absolutely ridiculous interview/direction that he thinks things are going I am, for the first time contemplating selling my Apple stock. He does not have a clear vision of what he wants the company to do. He hasn't guided anything new out of Apple since he's been CEO and just doesn't seem to capable of doing anything about it.

What Apple Car fiasco? Do you know exactly what they are doing as I don't and no one else does. A 'fiasco' is releasing a product that isn't right. It takes balls to change a direction with a lot of investment already made and the fiasco you mention that may or may not have happened could generate a lot of money for you and your shares. Can you enlighten me what you know that would mean otherwise?

I agree though that Cook does come across a little indecisive and should keep his mouth shut or say with confidence the direction they are going in.

Personally I think Apple are in a great position still and have confidence in the company to deliver. For all the complaining on this site, I think the term 'computer' as we know it will die out soon and is purely technological progress.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.