Apple CEO Tim Cook Calls Reports That iPhone XR is a Flop 'Bologna'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Mitochris macrumors member

Just out of interest. Why did you upgrade every year? Did you actually notice a real difference between 5 and 5S or 6 and 6S? Did it change the user experience so much to justify the price? I went form 3g to 5S to 7. I probably still would have the 5S if I would not have drowned it by mistake. These phones are so extremely capable these days that I can't see that one gets to the limits of their capability within one year.

2. bluespark macrumors 65832

I can't argue with that, and now I want to head over to my deli.

3. christo747 macrumors member

christo747

No, you are wrong. In Germany Apple sold the products at a reduced price while the gift cards had to be paid for. All of this without informing the customer before the purchase. The disadvantage is that you get a lower invoice for the product resulting in a significant tax loss.

4. Starship67 macrumors 6502a

Starship67

I am. So that cancels yours.

5. 25ghosts macrumors 6502

Phones def. flopping in Germany... No one has them that I know of (Aside my old Uncle).. As the iPhone 7 came out everyone had them. Took 4 months to get an iPhone 7 as it came out. Took 2 days to get the X one in 2018....

But the new phone line from Apple seem to be quite popular with older folks above 65 - so perhaps Mr. Cook are referring to that target group

6. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

7. Yogosans14 macrumors regular

No one wants to pay 750$ for a phone with a display that isn’t even 1080p. The phone is a disgrace imo.

8. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

TheWatchfulOne

Apple released Numbers a long time ago. It's available in the iOS and Mac App Stores. ;)

9. Heat_Fan89 macrumors 6502

I think that's a little too strong of a word. I saw all three at Best Buy a few weeks ago and it's not a bad phone but then again I would never drop $750 on anyone's phone. I look for deals and found a super slick looking phone with nice specs in the Huawei Mate SE for $230 that does everything I need and more.

10. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Tim Cook must also think the iPhone 5c was such a success that it sold out completely.

11. Starship67 macrumors 6502a

Starship67

12. Culman10 macrumors newbie

I have to say, as a purchaser of the XR, I've seen quite a few "in the wild", and I think the phone and camera are fantastic.

13. Guyp16 macrumors newbie

It’s becoming embarrassing Tim - please step aside!! XR overpriced and no SE option to induct possible users to the ecosystem. Then there’s the Mac development fiascos

14. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

The smaller phones won't happen until they can make the FaceID hardware much smaller.
    Else, they'd have to rely on touch-id again, which I doubt they'd do.

And even then: I'm a fan of small phones (they're way easier to handle) - but for far, far, far more people, their phone is also their primary media consumption device. They want a big screen. Apple does not believe there's sufficient demand in the market outside of a vocal minority.

That, and selling a big phone for big money is more profit than selling a small phone for less profit.

There are also almost no decent small phones in Android-land. If that was a viable niche, some Android manufacturer would jump on that opportunity. But it's not happening.

Now I've gone out and bought an Xr and I'm covered for the foreseeable future.

15. robbyx Suspended

This. I've been a customer for 35 years and I've never experienced customer service from any company that comes close to rivaling Apple.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    Speak for yourself. I'm part of that "core customer base". I've been a customer for 35 years. I've made my living with Apple products for a good 25 years. And I'm pretty happy. I just upgraded my old 2013 MacBook Pro to Mojave and I feel like I have a new computer. iOS 12 has been great on my iPhone 7 Plus. If you don't like what Apple is doing, there are plenty of other choices out there for you.
    People who upgrade every year are never going to be satisfied. They're chasing the dragon, always looking for the next tech geek fix. And like all addicts, eventually the drug doesn't work as well and they find themselves upset and resort to blaming because the fix isn't what it used to be.
    Unfortunately haters are immune to facts. I'll add processor design to your list. The haters never give Apple credit for the amazing work they've done over the past 5+ years in that area.

16. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

You want us satisfied Timmy? Lower the price of your phones, stop making them out of fragile materials and stop making memory upgrade pricing obscene.

17. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Nordstrom and LL Bean(until a year or so ago), are two that quickly pop into mind.

18. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

Until almost yesterday you wouldn't have had many chances to have your phone's battery swapped so easily. Even for your premium-priced beloved items.

19. robbyx Suspended

I haven't had much experience with either of those companies. For me the closest is Breville. I bought a blender from them years ago. It's a tank. Five years after the warranty expired, it stopped working. I called them to see about getting it repaired. They told me that some of early production run of my model had a defect with the motor that caused them to fail quickly. The customer service rep was shocked that mine had worked for five years. She said they had notified customers of the defect and replaced their units years prior to my call, but since I never registered I was never notified. And then she sent me a brand new blender. I was not expecting that!

20. mackinmike, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019

mackinmike macrumors 6502a

What else can the guy say? Selling yesterday's old LCD screens at today's prices and relabeling it liquid Retina. That's what you call bologna! Awesome

21. nvmls, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019

nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

Lol good one. I could list you many shady practices they have been doing for over a decade, but happy consumers likely won't care.

Sure, that's why we stopped buying 2015+ downgraded mac crap, not that playing dumb with the new keyboard fails until the repair program was announced had anything to do with it though. :rolleyes:

iOS 12 has been good yea, as it should have been iOS 11.

Hey the world is full of people with more money than brains, and Apple surely knows how to exploit them.

Powerful processor on a mobile OS? Hilarious.
    Like the i9 processor on the 2018 MBP capped at i7 clock speed because it can't handle heat? Great on paper, a rip off in reality.

22. 1909 macrumors newbie

Mee too!

Come Here Guys!

23. robbyx, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2019

robbyx Suspended

You're right, I won't care because I have never had a "shady" experience in 35 years. Apple even gave me a new PowerBook once when my logic board died shortly AFTER my AppleCare warranty ended. A lot of the early iPhone4 models had issues and they replaced my unit 3 times for free. I could go on and on. I remember calling AppleCare back in the day (granted, it's a been a while) and speaking directly with engineers. I emailed Jobs once when iDisk lost a bunch of my data and the next day I received a call from the lead engineer. Customer service has always been one of Apple's biggest strengths, long before the iPhone existed.

Whatever. My point is that I'm a happy customer. Mojave breathed new life into my old machine. I see no reason to upgrade. Why are people so focused on upgrades anyway? I guarantee you that I do a lot more with my computers than most people and I don't need a new machine every year or two. I'm making a very good living developing software on a nearly 6 year old machine. I have no complaints. I guarantee you that a 6 year old PC wouldn't perform as well, if it even still worked at all.

If you don't like Apple's hardware, go buy something else. Seriously, what's the point of hanging around forums complaining? Just go buy something else and get on with life.

And iOS10 and iOS9 and iOS8... What on Earth is your point? Just hating for the sake of hating?

Call it what you like, but it's the truth. They're doing great work in that area. One day those processors will no doubt power their Mac line. So, again, why are you here being negative?

Not their best design decision, I will agree.

24. mebehere macrumors 6502

I think a new SE at $300 for 32GB would do very well. $350 for 64GB and $400 for 128GB would do even better.

25. nvmls, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2019

nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

When you live inside a bubble, service can be the best sure. As a company which sells worldwide, service should be consistent throughout all countries and reality is far from it. It's like saying maps is great because your neighborhood is covered, but sadly it fails miserably or Apple could name it U.S. maps and call it a day but they haven't yet.

Another thing, you gave me all pre Cook era examples, when Apple had a much better reputation on it's customers than it's stockholders, a truly balanced company putting out great products.

Sure, 2013 MBP generation is very good, although Mojave cut off many previous models which outperform today's anemic 12" MB. 2015 was the last good MBP generation, 2016, 2017 & 2018 are an insult (although I do appreciate the CPU bumps on 2018 -except i9 troll-).

iOS 11 was an insult, iOS 10 compared to 11 was snow leopard.