Apple CEO Tim Cook on MSNBC Tonight at 5:00 PT/8:00 ET

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 6, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook is set to appear on MSNBC tonight at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time or 8:00 p.m. Eastern time in an interview called "Revolution: Apple Changing the World" with MSNBC's Christopher Hayes and Recode's Kara Swisher.

Much of what Tim Cook had to say was already covered in news stories earlier this week as the interview took place on March 28 and was covered by reporters who attended it live.

[​IMG]

It will be well worth watching in its entirety, however, as Cook had a lot to say during the segment. He covered favored topics like education and coding, but he also commented on the current political climate in the United States and talked extensively about the ongoing Cambridge Analytica privacy scandal Facebook is facing.

[​IMG]

Cook had some inflammatory words about Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, for example, stating "I wouldn't be in this situation" when asked what he would have done in Zuckerberg's shoes.
    Cook also said Apple's customers are not the company's product, and that "well-crafted" regulation "is necessary" to prevent another Cambridge Analytica-style scandal.
    Cook also commented on criticism over the fact that the iPhone is manufactured in China. "It's not true that the iPhone is not made in the United States," he said, referencing U.S.-based component manufacturers like Corning and Finisar. Cook also said Apple is always focused on job creation and doesn't need political pressure to do the right thing.

[​IMG]
    Cook also discussed DACA, a fourth major U.S. campus that's in development, the importance of coding, technology in education, lifelong education, and more.

We already have a full, detailed recap of what Tim Cook discussed during the interview, but should there be other interesting comments that were missed in earlier coverage, we'll update this post.

We'll also plan to provide an update if Recode and MSNBC make the interview available to watch for free after it airs. To watch the interview as it airs, you will need to tune into MSNBC through your cable package.

You can also watch on the NBC website or through the "Live" section of the MSNBC app, but cable authentication is required.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook on MSNBC Tonight at 5:00 PT/8:00 ET

2. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

As much as I like Cook, I look at that photo and all I see is Beaker from the Muppet Show.

I'll blame MR for choosing that pic.

3. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

I like Cook as CEO but I'd rather Apple spoke with products and services that were clear on what their vision was. They could spare us the PR tour / social commentary.

Because all this data privacy talk just makes it sound like "this is why Siri isn't that good but you should keep using it because we care about your privacy." What about the Apple users who would opt-in to sharing their data to get a smarter Siri/AI experience.

4. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

Thanks for the reminder. Just tuned in. Chris has the best prime time news show on cable. Everyone else isn’t even close.

5. SusanK macrumors 68000

6. nvmls macrumors 6502

nvmls

Another round of "we care about pros", "i love the mac", "very committed to the mini", etc, etc?

7. ditzil, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2018

ditzil macrumors newbie

Steve Jobs is turning over in his grave as Tim Cook joins those who want him to mix corporate governance with social engineering. Tell that to the tens of millions of Chinese he sold out to the Chinese gov't.

8. JPack macrumors 68030

JPack

Tim Cook tailors his message depending on the audience.

Tim Cook: This Is the Number 1 Reason We Make iPhones in China (It's Not What You Think)

"There's a confusion about China. The popular conception is that companies come to China because of low labor cost. I'm not sure what part of China they go to but the truth is China stopped being the low labor cost country many years ago. And that is not the reason to come to China from a supply point of view. The reason is because of the skill, and the quantity of skill in one location and the type of skill it is."

"China has moved into very advanced manufacturing, so you find in China the intersection of craftsman kind of skill, and sophisticated robotics and the computer science world. That intersection, which is very rare to find anywhere, that kind of skill, is very important to our business because of the precision and quality level that we like. The thing that most people focus on if they're a foreigner coming to China is the size of the market, and obviously it's the biggest market in the world in so many areas. But for us, the number one attraction is the quality of the people."

"The number one reason why we like to be in China is the people. China has extraordinary skills. And the part that's the most unknown is there's almost 2 million application developers in China that write apps for the iOS App Store. These are some of the most innovative mobile apps in the world, and the entrepreneurs that run them are some of the most inspiring and entrepreneurial in the world. Those are sold not only here but exported around the world."

9. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

Tim is little L liberal and as such I agree with him.

10. Glideslope, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018

Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Tim is a Dixiecrat. To the left on social issues, very right fiscally. Kind of like oil and water in a jar. :apple:

11. RickInHouston, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018

RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Why is it we don't see any other Company head talk politics like Timmy?

Oh, yeah. Because it's such a bad idea!

Oh, great, now Loretta Lynch is going on NBC. What is NBC, now, a paid shill? Like when Lester Holt was at the Korean ski resort and everyone had on the same outfits. They were all props to make the country look good.

12. satchmo macrumors 68000

Tim’s a broken record. Says the same Apple Speak (we don’t announce products or ‘x’ is an area of interest).

As far as politics, he has a right to say whatever he feels...but I couldn’t care less what one CEO or another’s opinion on these matters.

13. cansuds macrumors regular

cansuds

Steve wouldn't have joined this program if he were alive :)

14. martyjmclean macrumors regular

martyjmclean

Well its a good thing he's not. ;)

15. fhopper macrumors regular

fhopper

Why would anyone care what he has to say about anything except Apple products. I do not care what a person of his demographics has to say, it has little to do with me.

16. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

17. lederermc macrumors 6502

lederermc

The show was not about product release and that was stated up front.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 6, 2018 ---
    You got the dixiecrat definition backwards.

18. Shaun, UK Suspended

Shaun, UK

As usual it will be all filler with no killer. We won’t learn anything new.

19. scottinlexky macrumors newbie

scottinlexky

Tim Cook needs to keep his mouth shut about politics, and get Apple back in the right direction of building excellent hardware. They are only a consumer electronics company now. Dell, Microsoft, or HP may be getting my next computing dollars.

20. wubsylol macrumors 6502

As is the usual with Tim Cook interviews; he'll give no real answers, never be challenged on any of the controversial topics, and clearly have been given the questions and general direction of the interview beforehand.

21. Nicky G macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

The best regulation is self-regulation? Oh Tim. That is a totally horrible argument. The best rules for the people and organizations with by far the most power, is really to not have rules, and let them just do as they please? This is an awful hard-right extreme-Libertarian view, and it reflects poorly on you and Apple.

22. Soccertess macrumors 65816

yea, good thing the guy that gave Tim a golden egg isn't around. It's not like Steve didn't revolutionize the computer industry twice, nor build the company and philosophy that spired the company.

World has blackberry and other crappy mobiles, Steve brings the iphone to fruition with the same philosophy as the mac, changes the world, and people give Tim all the credit for being the figure head when world sales sky rocket OF ALL mobile phones (not to mention that most of the world is Android except in north america).

Tim has the charisma of a goat. I would rather watch goats than listen to this dongle loving, siri sucking, PR spin.

23. Greymacuser macrumors regular

Greymacuser

Blah blah blah. Kook took a great computer company and turned it into a phone and toy factory.
    No matter how profitable the company may be, it will still be a shell of what it once was.

24. martyjmclean macrumors regular

martyjmclean

...You clearly don't understand sarcasm.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 6, 2018 ---
    I'm pretty sure it was Steve Jobs on that stage with the iPhone, not Tim Cook.

25. citysnaps, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018

citysnaps macrumors 68040

Why would anyone care if a company CEO who has been dead for almost seven years choose to be or not be interviewed?

Makes no difference to me.

Sure is a lot of unhealthy obsession with what Mr. Cook does to promote Apple.

I wonder if there are similar crowds of people so consumed when the CEOs of Ford, Intel, Alphabet, Samsung, Salesforce, Twitter, Texas Instruments, and Procter and Gamble are interviewed?