Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I...
Who knows, maybe on election night, if he would pull off the win, Trump would just come out on stage, say "You idiots actually voted for me? God, this country is ****ed." and then announce a new season of The Apprentice, revealing himself to be the master troll of all time. I would forgive him for everything if he actually did that.

That might be a reality show I would actually watch. ;)
[doublepost=1470087931][/doublepost]

What hasn't helped? The minimum wage being raised? Cost of living are dramatically higher in California. Of course a $10 an hour wage hasn't helped enough. But it is a hell of a lot better than $7.25 an hour.

You serious? The minimum wage impacts almost specifically short term job holders and minimal skill job holders at the lower end of the economic scale. An increase in minimum wage did little to nothing to change this. It enticed an initial increase in population with a proportional drop in part time and small business jobs and a corresponding increase in the number of benefit applicants.
No it didn't help. This increase will still not allow a husband and wife both on minimal wage jobs to effect timely live in Cali. Minimum wage jobs are supposed to be a supplement. We need something more than just a wage increase. A bigger band-aid doesn't heal the patient.

Last edited:

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Don't try to be smart. The plan was the golf course would provide 6000 permanent jobs. This obviously does not include the construction phase (and the bullying part). It turned out there are only 100 permanent jobs created. But the environment got destroyed and people lost their homes.

Don't take yourself so serious - we can disagree without making it personal. So you agree with my point that "obviously" more than 100 jobs were created although many of them only lasted for the duration of the construction of the golf course.

I am not a golfer but I have a feeling a lot of golfers would disagree with you about "the environment got destroyed". I don't think anyone would want to play golf on a Mad Max type wasteland. The environment may have been changed in a way you don't like but I seriously doubt it was "destroyed". In fact I bet it is beautiful.

As for the people who lost homes, I am not a big fan of eminent domain. However, it is the law of the land in the United States and it is enshrined in the "Takings" clause in the 5th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I have not studied Scottish law so I cannot speak about the rules around their eminent domain laws but I am pretty sure all of Donald Trump's actions in this case were legal by Scottish law or else we would have seen dozens of stories in the American media about how he broke the law. You can disagree all you want about whether he should have built the golf course but if you believe he violated any laws please post a reference to your documentation.

bobbytomorow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Left Coast
Tim Cook supports the Hillary? This is reason enough for me to heavily reconsider any future Apple purchases, CEOs should stay the hell out of politics

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Turning out to be the 2016 national high school election. Jock vs nerd. I think 2016 will be Revenge of the Nerds. Tim Cook was probably a nerd too in high school. Steve Jobs was no jock, that's for sure. Nerds have to stick up for one another. Most people who act like bullies now do it because it can be done online. Cyber bullying is weak sauce.

You need to always go back to their formative years to understand...

73e124319e333c1fad1c75b7c394857e.jpg

As a child, Rodham was a favorite of her teachers at the public schools she attended in Park Ridge. She participated in sports, such as swimming and baseball, and earned numerous badges as a Brownie and a Girl Scout. She has often told a story of being inspired by U.S. efforts during the Space Race and sending a letter to NASA around 1961 asking what she could do to become an astronaut, only to be told that no women were being accepted into the program.

She attended Maine East High School, where she participated in student council, the school newspaper, and was selected for National Honor Society. She won election as class vice president for her junior year, but then lost an election for class president for her senior year against two boys, one of whom told her, "you are really stupid if you think a girl can be elected president."
_

Nerd vs. jock: Everything you need to know about Clinton and Trump, you learned in high school

ab715af1df045180704d07bd22d95e47.cf.webp

This is not the first time Hillary Clinton made history as the first female to top a presidential ticket. Back in high school, she ran for president of the student government, surprising her classmates because no girl had ever done that before. They always served as secretary instead.

Nor is this the first time that Donald Trump has been called names — though perhaps not quite the ones he’s being called now. An alpha male even back in high school, he was voted a “Ladies’ Man” in his yearbook and described as a brawler by his classmates. He also seems to have let it be known that he was rich.

If all the world is a re-creation of high school, then this election is between two candidates who as teenagers already embodied the traits for which they have become famous, and, it’s safe to say, they would not have liked each other very much.

It just might explain why so many voters don’t like them either.

Clinton and Trump graduated just a year apart — he in 1964 from the New York Military Academy in Cornwall, N.Y., she in 1965 from Maine South High School in Park Ridge, Ill. But “the times” were just about the only thing they had in common.

Clinton was by all accounts an earnest, nerdy, uber-involved student. Think Hermione Granger at Hogwarts. Or Patty Simcox at Rydell. A Buzzfeed list of her high school activities runs 17 printed pages, but to name just a few, she was on the student newspaper, the “It’s Academic” TV quiz show team, the cultural values committee, the committee to write a new school constitution and the antivandalism committee.

She was also director of the school’s Republican organization (yes, she was an ardent Goldwater girl), vice president of the Honor Society, and vice president of the junior class (where she was regularly ticked off, friends say, that she ended up running most of the meetings because the president – the guy she would run against for president as a senior — was away at football practice.) She wasn’t valedictorian, but according to an article in the Boston Globe during her 2008 run, she told the student who was chosen that she thought she was smarter.

Trump, on the other hand, was the Biff Tannen of his crowd (somewhat literally, in fact —“Back to the Future” writer Bob Gale has said the character is based on Trump.) Sent to boarding school at 13 to “channel his energy in a positive manner,” according to the Washington Post, he seems to have poured much of that energy into sports. He played varsity soccer, baseball (the talk back then, his classmates say today, was that he could have gone pro) and football as well as JV wrestling, and intramural basketball and bowling.

He marched a lot too — serving as the commanding officer of the school honor guard for the New York City Columbus Day Parade — and was also a member of the committee for the fall dance, the Driver Education Club and the Hobby and Model Club. He received no academic awards to speak of, but he did win the Neatness and Order Medal in ‘60 and ’61, along with many athletic letters from ‘60 to ‘64. He got into occasional fights, classmates have recalled to reporters recently, because, as one told Business Insider last fall, “that’s common ground in that school. [It was] a little ‘Lord of the Flies.’” Oh, and he was voted “Ladies’ Man” in the yearbook because, as one of his classmates recalled to Business Insider, “He was a very good-looking, handsome guy, and he held himself in a way that everyone thought he’d be very desirable for the opposite sex.”

09dc9d389448064879ea9f4eb37fcedc

What does all this have to do with the outcome of the 2016 presidential election?

In fact, a surprising amount.

Sociologists, psychologists and anthropologists have spent a lot of time proving that who we become in life is forged during high school. Or, as Kurt Vonnegut has said, those years are “closer to the core of the American experience than anything else I can think of.” Take adult earning power. In men it has been shown to correlate to height – the taller the guy, the higher his lifetime income. But more specifically, the correlation is not with his adult height, but with his height at age 16. Similarly, low self-esteem in both adult men and women correlates to being overweight in adolescence. Attractiveness in high schoolcorrelates to higher chances of marriage and children in adulthood, and better mental health.

It seems clear that social sorting — dividing ourselves into groups, seeking those who are like us, rejecting those who are not – begins in middle school and hardens in high school. That makes sense from a neurodevelopment standpoint; puberty is the time when the human brain codifies its ability to read the emotions of others, making those years a constant (though not always accurate) scanning of what others are thinking about you.

What makes less sense is why the clustering and sorting that results follows into adulthood. To use the archetypes of “The Breakfast Club,” once a “brain, athlete, basket case, princess or criminal,” then, statistically, always thus.

Or, as Jennifer Senior wrote three years ago in a New York Magazine article titled “Why You Truly Never Leave High School”: “One has to wonder … whether the worst of adult America looks like high school because it’s populated by people who went to high school in America. We’re recapitulating the ugly folkways of this institution, and reacting with the same reflexes, because that’s where we were trapped, and shaped, and misshaped, during some of our most vulnerable years.”

One answer particularly relevant to the current political climate can be found in studies of why some high schools have more rigid cliques and caste systems than others.

The most detailed work on this question, the“Study of Network Ecology and Adolescent Social Structure,” was published two years ago in the American Sociological Review by Daniel A. McFarland, a professor at Stanford’s Graduate School of Education. It found that the bigger the school and the more choices of activities and groups available to students, the more pronounced the cliques. A small school with few electives means students are forced to interact with peers not of their choosing. A larger school, which allows students to pick their schedules, their lunch companions, their corners, is more likely to have clusters defined by race, gender, age, socioeconomics and popularity. Cliques and stereotypes provide shelter in a larger unknown.

And what larger unknown is there, what more multi-optioned place than modern culture — a social-media cafeteria where we can all seek out echo chambers of like-minded cohorts who reinforce our worldviews.

What makes this the ultimate high school election, then, is less that Clinton and Trump are archetypes forged in high school, but that the electorate is stuck back there too.

“We hated both of them back then,” saysRosalind Wiseman, author of “Queen Bees and Wannabes,” which was adapted into the movie “Mean Girls.”

Trump “reminds us of the guy who gets away with being obnoxious, the big douche who we let step all over us and are afraid of but also a little in awe,” and Clinton “is the smarty pants who knows everything [but] when she tries to be funny it comes off awkward.”

Which may explain why both of them have poll numbers showing the highest unfavorability numbers of any modern presidential candidates.

Will that determine who becomes president? Unclear. But there is this data point: That race for student council president more than 50 years ago? Clinton lost. To the captain of the football team.

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
Oh okay. So because they are legally blocked from discriminating against me, I should vote for them even though they still wished they could. They even have it in their party platform yet again this year. :rolleyes: Yeah, that's never going to happen.

Look, I get it. You want to start rewriting history here and pretend that the GOP has turned a corner, but they really haven't. And even if they somehow did, I would never forget all the damage they did to people previously. #neverforget #neverforgive
[doublepost=1470078560][/doublepost]

What? That doesn't even make sense. You want to give him a gold star just because he hasn't been in the drivers seat yet? That's like saying "hey...let's let someone new drive the car....how about this blind guy? "There should be no problem since he has never crashed before." :rolleyes:

You have to look at both candidate's records AND both of the candidate's temperaments. Both have failings on record. Only one has failings on temperament (and it's not Hillary).

Trump lies constantly about things big and small. Is he breathing? Then he's lying. You can stick your head in the sand and pretend you don't see it, but it doesn't change the fact that he lies all the time. As for your efforts of thinking and researching, keep working at it. If you aren't sure if Hillary is human or not, you haven't put enough thought or research into things.
[doublepost=1470078876][/doublepost]

Oh the desperation in this thread trying to get Democrats to become Republicans.

Bernie lost because of one reason, and one reason alone: Bernie. He did not connect with African American voters in the south and lost the election way back in March because of it.

Just for your personal entertainment, because everybody knows you just are in love with Hillary.
Things more trustworthy than Hillary Clinton:
Tap water from Flint Michigan
A rattlesnake with a "pet me" sign
Emails from a Nigerian prince
Joseph Kony
An Elevator ride with Ray Rice
Bill Cosby as a Bartender
A prostrate exam from Captiain Hook
peace treaties
Gas station sushi
Handcuff tricks from John Wayne
Gacy Pills from Bill Cosby
Bill Clinton saying, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman.".
Kool Aid from Jim Jones
War stories from Brian Williams
Childhood stories from Ben Carson
Hunting with Dick Cheney
Investing with Bernie Madoff
Jared Fogle around little girls
Jerry Sandusky around little boys
Casey Anthony around babies
Doomsday alerts from Alex Jones
Racism alerts from Al Sharpton
Misogyny alerts from Anita Sarkeesian
Loch Ness monster sightings

Snowden Publicly exposed classified information, wanted for treason.
Hillary secretly exposed classified information, wanted for President.

Patreaus shared his calendar, Federal conviction plus a $100 thousand dollar fine.
Hillary shared 30 thousand classified emails, Democrat choice for Commander in Chief.

the fix is in! Hillary Clinton cleared by FBI just days after Bill Clinton and Loretta Lynch's secret meeting on a private plane.

A man makes a video exposing planned parenthood's human organ trafficking, indicted for tampering with a government document.
Hillary tampers with hundreds of Top Secret Government Documents, still the leading Democrat Candidate for President.

State Department can't release any incriminating Clinton emails for 27 months, does that seem odd to anyone??

Bill Clinton collected $12 million for his memoirs. Hillary Clinton got $8 million for hers.
That's $20 million for the memories of two people, who for years have repeatedly testified, under oath, that they couldn't remember anything....

Reactions: dk001

Suspended
Sep 22, 2007
No. You pick on her because you are just being partisan. If you were truly objective, you would stack up all the things that she has lied about vs. all the things Trump has lied about to draw some comparison. But you aren't doing that.

How big do you think that deficit will grow with increased military spending (we gotta rebuild the military!) and building of a border wall (gotta keep those rapist out!), and the cost of rounding up and deporting millions upon millions of people?

I didn't misrepresent anything at all. Yes you claimed it his right but then you claimed his personal and private cannot be separated, and keep coming back to "the average joe gets fired for privately doing things" comment. Okay...so what are you trying to say here? Are you complaining about this fundraising effort, backing it...what? I guess I am trying to understand why you weighed in here originally.

Oh okay. Because those Republicans are such exceptional stewards of our economy. :rolleyes: Yeah, I'll just toss out all my values and all my sanity and vote for Trump and his picks who will decide court cases adversely (IMHO) for the rest of my life. And vote for Republican's who have literally done nothing for my healthcare, my rights, or really much of anything at all lately. I don't think so.

Yeah...nothing says pro gay like saying you'll nominate judges who would be on the opposite of the gay marriage debate. No thanks. You are writing checks that can't be cashed here.

Oh and those "annoying gaffes" are important here. They demonstrate a lack of knowledge as well as a lack of temperament. Getting foreign policy advice "from the shows" saying he knows more about ISIS "than the Generals", comparing himself to a solider killed in war saying he has sacrificed too, saying that dodging STD's were his own private Vietnam (while ducking out on the real one) just aren't the qualities of a decent leader. They are the qualities of an idiot.

Nutjob writ large. Always has been, always will be. Any attention whatsoever for any reason is what he craves. Doesn't matter if he looks foolish or not as long as he is in the spotlight convincing himself that he looks strong.

Can you imagine how different this race would be if someone who could articulate Hillary's record of lies was running in opposition? She lied on Sunday about Comey's findings, but we get the orange clown show stepping on his own weenie, taking scrutiny off of Hillary.

Trump is certifiable- he sees this a building his brand.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
That might be a reality show I would actually watch. ;)
[doublepost=1470087931][/doublepost]

You serious? The minimum wage impacts almost specifically short term job holders and minimal skill job holders at the lower end of the economic scale. An increase in minimum wage did little to nothing to change this. It enticed an initial increase in population with a proportional drop in part time and small business jobs and a corresponding increase in the number of benefit applicants.
No it didn't help. This increase will still not allow a husband and wife both on minimal wage jobs to effect timely live in Cali. Minimum wage jobs are supposed to be a supplement. We need something more than just a wage increase. A bigger band-aid doesn't heal the patient.
Yes. I am very serious. I speak from very good experience. I have a husband who due to his personal memory issues simply isn't able to hold down much more that a minimum wage job. He struggles even with those sometimes. The minimum wage being raised has helped him, not hurt him. There aren't less opportunities out there because of it. There aren't only part time opportunities because of it. In fact he not only works 40 hours at his job, but often gets overtime as well. So, you are just wrong on this issue and apparently aren't talking to actually families that live with this. Well, now you are.
[doublepost=1470150230][/doublepost]
Just for your personal entertainment, because everybody knows you just are in love with Hillary.
Did you just arrive here? Are you new? You don't seem to know me very well. At all.

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
It really pisses me off that the money I spend on Apple products is getting funneled to a corrupt lying socialist political hack. I just spent close to $3K last night at Apple on a new MBP for my daughter, headed back to college.... which by the way we are paying for out of pocket.

I don't know why business leaders, entertainers, etc. can't keep their political views out of their business.

Cry harder, BTW I missed the part where this fund raiser was being put on officially by Apple....

Reactions: jnpy!$4g3cwk

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
Tim Cook supports the Hillary? This is reason enough for me to heavily reconsider any future Apple purchases, CEOs should stay the hell out of politics

Good for you, have fun with your windows computer and your andorid phone. Honestly though everyone knows those frothing at the mouth with rage screaming like banshees won't really switch to windows and android.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Well dangit. There goes any more Apple purchases for me. :( I really wanted my yearly phone update lol. Crap.
Would you seriously not buy a product you liked because of political views of the company director? I just find that hard to believe as I can't imagine a moral emphasis put into every purchase.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Good for you, have fun with your windows computer and your andorid phone. Honestly though everyone knows those frothing at the mouth with rage screaming like banshees won't really switch to windows and android.
I can for sure "switch" to windows and android if I want to. I'm using Windows right now on my iMac. That being said, I don't have to necessarily switch, but I certainly don't have to buy any more Apple products. ;)
[doublepost=1470170674][/doublepost]
Would you seriously not buy a product you liked because of political views of the company director? I just find that hard to believe as I can't imagine a moral emphasis put into every purchase.
Yes. I don't research it for every purchase I make though. When something like this comes to light, then I'll react accordingly. He's going to host a fund raiser for someone as crooked as Hillary Clinton. That's enough for me to pull my support for the company he represents.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Yes. I don't research it for every purchase I make though. When something like this comes to light, then I'll react accordingly. He's going to host a fund raiser for someone as crooked as Hillary Clinton. That's enough for me to pull my support for the company he represents.
Surely you don't think that Google or Microsoft support the Republican nominee do you?

If you are making choices about tech companies over which party or candidate they support, then no iPhone, Android OR Windows phone for you! And no Mac OR Windows computer either.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Yes. I am very serious. I speak from very good experience. I have a husband who due to his personal memory issues simply isn't able to hold down much more that a minimum wage job. He struggles even with those sometimes. The minimum wage being raised has helped him, not hurt him. There aren't less opportunities out there because of it. There aren't only part time opportunities because of it. In fact he not only works 40 hours at his job, but often gets overtime as well. So, you are just wrong on this issue and apparently aren't talking to actually families that live with this. Well, now you are..

There lies the problem. The minimum wage job market was designed as a supplementary wage source. Not a primary source. If these have become (like they are for many) the primary, raising the minimum wage won't fix the issue. As a former small business owner I look at the wage increase and I see two options:
  • Increase the prices of my goods / services and keep all my current employees
  • Keep my same prices and reduce the number of employees.
Since most are already edging a barely sustainable price point (margin), the likely hood of prices going up is minimal at best. Don't forsee folks walking into a McDonalds or Sonic and ordering the $12 burger.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Well you have to do what you feel is best. Unless tens of millions join you, I doubt Apple will care either way.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Surely you don't think that Google or Microsoft support the Republican nominee do you?

If you are making choices about tech companies over which party or candidate they support, then no iPhone, Android OR Windows phone for you! And no Mac OR Windows computer either.
It has to do with Tim Cook and another top exec for Apple, personally doing a fund raiser for Hillary Clinton.
Well you have to do what you feel is best. Unless tens of millions join you, I doubt Apple will care either way.
My choices are made for myself and not to worry about what tens of millions of others will do. It isn't about whether Apple will care that I won't buy any of their products any more. It's about my own values.

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
I can for sure "switch" to windows and android if I want to. I'm using Windows right now on my iMac. That being said, I don't have to necessarily switch, but I certainly don't have to buy any more Apple products. ;)

I am sure Tim will weep and Apple's stock will suffer when the handful of republican extremists who are so outraged over what someone does in their own personal time switch to android and stop buying Apple products.
[doublepost=1470173321][/doublepost]
Things more trustworthy than Hillary Clinton:
Tap water from Flint Michigan
A rattlesnake with a "pet me" sign
Emails from a Nigerian prince
Joseph Kony
An Elevator ride with Ray Rice
Bill Cosby as a Bartender
A prostrate exam from Captiain Hook
peace treaties
Gas station sushi
Handcuff tricks from John Wayne
Gacy Pills from Bill Cosby
Bill Clinton saying, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman.".
Kool Aid from Jim Jones
War stories from Brian Williams
Childhood stories from Ben Carson
Hunting with Dick Cheney
Investing with Bernie Madoff
Jared Fogle around little girls
Jerry Sandusky around little boys
Casey Anthony around babies
Doomsday alerts from Alex Jones
Racism alerts from Al Sharpton
Misogyny alerts from Anita Sarkeesian
Loch Ness monster sightings

Snowden Publicly exposed classified information, wanted for treason.
Hillary secretly exposed classified information, wanted for President.

Patreaus shared his calendar, Federal conviction plus a $100 thousand dollar fine.
Hillary shared 30 thousand classified emails, Democrat choice for Commander in Chief.

the fix is in! Hillary Clinton cleared by FBI just days after Bill Clinton and Loretta Lynch's secret meeting on a private plane.

A man makes a video exposing planned parenthood's human organ trafficking, indicted for tampering with a government document.
Hillary tampers with hundreds of Top Secret Government Documents, still the leading Democrat Candidate for President.

State Department can't release any incriminating Clinton emails for 27 months, does that seem odd to anyone??

Bill Clinton collected $12 million for his memoirs. Hillary Clinton got $8 million for hers.
That's $20 million for the memories of two people, who for years have repeatedly testified, under oath, that they couldn't remember anything....

Gotta love right wing extremest chain emails from mouth breathing, Fox news viewers with IQs hovering around 82.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
There lies the problem. The minimum wage job market was designed as a supplementary wage source. Not a primary source.
Did you really not read or comprehend anything I wrote? For people like my husband these jobs always have been their primary source. And always will be. You don't wave a magic wand and make people more capable than they are. Not everyone can be a manager. Or a highly paid executive. Or a software developer.

If these have become (like they are for many) the primary, raising the minimum wage won't fix the issue.
Once again missing the point that it has helped. I assure you, we can afford more on his $10 plus an hour wage than we could on a $7.25 one or whatever even lower wage you think the minimum wage should be.

As a former small business owner I look at the wage increase and I see two options:
  • Increase the prices of my goods / services and keep all my current employees
  • Keep my same prices and reduce the number of employees.
Since most are already edging a barely sustainable price point (margin), the likely hood of prices going up is minimal at best. Don't forsee folks walking into a McDonalds or Sonic and ordering the $12 burger.

Ah yes....business people like to try and scare people with figures like that, but in reality the cost of living has already gone up over the years. Yet you would have people remain at the same fixed wage while all their expenses go up. It would be like me telling you to keep your income fixed forever despite increased cost to your business. At some point your business would no longer be viable. Guess what? The same thing applies to a worker who sees their cost rising but doesn't see their wages going up in a corresponding manner. It is unsustainable.

Fact is, burgers don't have to be raised to $12 bucks in order to pay a halfway decent wage. The minimum wage in Seattle is currently $13 and burgers at McDonald's are not $12.

guerro

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Parts Unknown
See you in the White House again, Madame President.

Really not a Hillary fan. More of a Bill fan because we think alike and very detailed with our thoughts. We are naughty and love to bang chicks and with no condom! It's Tiger Woods, y'all! I do admire Hillary for her perseverance being married to Bill and putting up with his BS.

Are you a rapist like Bill Clinton?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.