Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
And that still doesn't have anything to do with financially related sales to cover taxes or sell vested commodities on a schedule.

He probably know that it is not gonna be well for Apple for next few years. Times to sell the stock when Apple is still floating.

Does he need the money? Not really. When he sell the stock, regardless of the reason, he sends very bad signal to people. When CEO start dumping stocks, people will loss faith.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
...And the rich get richer.

You'd think company as large as Apple has plan for next few years right? Apple doesn't just design iPhone 6 and have no idea what coming next year right?

Tim Cook probably know the road map and design for next few iPhones. He knows what iPhone 7 will looks like well before iPhone 6S even announced. He probably feel iPhone 7 gonna be flop.

I was just about to post similar thoughts. To those here who are talking down to people who think they smell something fishy going on, and who are acting like a (tautologically-named) "pre-planned" sale obviously must completely preclude any sort of foreknowledge of the company's future performance:

Do you really think a CEO making that kind of money is so clueless about his company and industry that he has no inkling how well his company might be doing in the next year or two? "No, Jony, don't show me what you have in store for the iPhone for the next few years, or project Titan — I have stock sales to plan." He also refuses to look at sales numbers and projections?

I'm not saying he is doing anything illegal. Perhaps all or some of this specific sale was in fact related to some requirement related to his fifth anniversary bonus. What I'm saying is that it is insulting to act like someone would be leading one of the world's richest companies and selling off millions of dollars of stocks, without reasonable knowledge about how his company's stock might be doing in the future.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
...And the rich get richer.

I was just about to post similar thoughts. To those here who are talking down to people who think they smell something fishy going on, and who are acting like a (tautologically-named) "pre-planned" sale obviously must completely preclude any sort of foreknowledge of the company's future performance:

Do you really think a CEO making that kind of money is so clueless about his company and industry that he has no inkling how well his company might be doing in the next year or two? "No, Jony, don't show me what you have in store for the iPhone for the next few years, or project Titan — I have stock sales to plan." He also refuses to look at sales numbers and projections?

I'm not saying he is doing anything illegal. I'm saying that it is insulting to act like someone would be leading one of the world's richest companies and selling off millions of dollars of stocks, without reasonable knowledge about how his company's stock might be doing in the future.

No, what you're saying is exactly illegal.

That you just put as a hypothetical is literally the crime of insider trading.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
He knows that the Mac community will not like the cessation of the x86 chipset with the rollout of A10 desktops and laptops manyfactured soon by Intel and its lackluster performance for the next few year.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
He probably know that it is not gonna be well for Apple for next few years. Times to sell the stock when Apple is still floating.

Does he need the money? Not really. When he sell the stock, regardless of the reason, he sends very bad signal to people. When CEO start dumping stocks, people will loss faith.
It doesn't send a signal who have even a basic understanding of how the system works.

Reactions: CarlJ

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
And his soon announcement of leaving Apple to have a greater roll in promoting his social ideology and to spend more time with his family and kids.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
And his soon announcement of leaving Apple to have a greater roll in promoting his social ideology and to spend more time with his family and kids.

He will finally have time to participate gay parade all over the globe
[doublepost=1472268755][/doublepost]
It doesn't send a signal who have even a basic understanding of how the system works.

Not many people understanding how the system works. When news break out about Tim Cook selling his stock, the first thought is he is dumping the stock and he is not believing Apple.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Reality doesn't really have versions, just basically people who take it as what it is and those who come up with their own takes on it.

It's actually opinions. So telling someone what reality is.... Nah!

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
He will finally have time to participate gay parade all over the globe
[doublepost=1472268755][/doublepost]

Not many people understanding how the system works. When news break out about Tim Cook selling his stock, the first thought is he is dumping the stock and he is not believing Apple.
The problem there are the people, and in that case those people wouldn't even come across the news of this sale or wouldn't even care about it as they don't get it anyway.

Reactions: esp718

iPaintCode

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Metro Detroit
Tim Cook: "Crap Phil just informed me no Back to Mac keynote this year :eek:, I better cash out some of this stock while it's still over a hundred bucks per share".

Jony Ive: "Tim those new watch band prototypes are in production and we also have a new thinner iPad Pro case with backlit keyboard in 4 colors. Those will be a smashing addition to September's keynote alone".

Tim Cook: "Great Ive people are loving the new bands and wait till they see the new iPad Pro cases, maybe we will get Back to Mac next WWDC".

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
Zuckerberg from Facebook is about to sell 99% of his FB stocks. Did this say anything about the company or the trust of the person in that company?

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Good for him. He got unlocked a chest and now he's playing with some of his gold. I'm surprised he's made it 5 years, but a perk is a perk. He's probably ready to live like the CEO of Apple.

dmdev

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
If Apple is indeed the largest taxpayer in the world, then it is pretty ********e that governments are forcing them to pay for anything. Fix the laws if you don't like it..

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Wasn't he just awarded a load more shares? Maybe he wants to only have X amount as shares and the rest as cash?

Or maybe he is selling now and then will buy after the iPhone 7 launch when shares go down?

Lots of pessimists on this forum. If there was report after report of tons of senior people at Apple all dumping their stock, *that* would be cause for concern. Not the CEO selling some shares after he's been awarded a load more.

Agit21

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
Jep he knows that the new iPhone is going to be "not great". Why sells stocks now? He could just get some dividends.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
Good for him. But that's actually just a $20,000 bonus (*). Cannot even buy a car for that. Life can be pretty darn expensive in the Valley everybody knows that.

(*) per day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.