Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Nice...it's not like the gay couple said "put our cocks on the cake in each others' mouths". They just wanted a cake. What their personal preferences are should not matter.

Why is it so hard to respect someone's religious views? It's not like there aren't a dozen other bakeries out there happy to bake whatever cake they want.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I'll never understand how some people interpret the Constitution's ban on establishing a state-sponsored religion, as an invitation to discriminate. This opens up a huge can of worms, as most religions essentially say their own system is correct, and if you don't believe it, you're sinning. Is it legal for Christian-owned establishments to ban Jews, Muslims, etc.? After all, many Christians believe you go to hell if you're not Christian. What about all the other restrictions in the Bible, so conveniently ignored? Bans on beards, tattoos, jewelry, etc. Is it OK to allow discrimination against people who have those features? Where does it end?

It's idiots like this who ignore the literal phrase "well-regulated" which appears in the second amendment, and interpret it as meaning "no regulation" for firearms whatsoever. Plus, that whole thing about it being oriented at militias, which implies that gun owners are actually official members of a state militia. And I say all this as a gun owner.

At the end of the day, there's only one reason why this stuff gets passed. Lobbying, and the money behind it. Logic has no role at all. Face it, people -- our system is corrupt.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009

Let's also remember that businesses likely won't turn down somebody just for being gay...

Ummm...that's what this law allows. A restaurant can say "you two are gay, you offend my religion, therefore get out." That will only be the beginning. I hope you can understand the difference.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
what is tim cooks policy about apple employees speaking favorably about their christian, jewish or muslims beliefs? Are you allowed to work there if your religion forbids homosexuality?

If you go and start insulting coworkers, then no, you're not allowed to work there. It's a business, not a church. If you insist on proselytizing, go into the clergy, because that's not why you were hired.

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
Same principle. Does a business owner have the right to decide what they do with their business? The answer is yes.

Ah, so they can not pay their taxes or collude with other businesses to drive up prices, yeah? Oh, that's right, that can't, because doing so is illegal. So is denying service based on inherent attributes like race, gender, ethnic background, or sexual orientation. Your meme doesn't work because no one is born a Nazi.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
The First Church of Baby Sacrificers also has a "Religious Freedom" bill in the works. They MUST kidnap and murder babies or go to hell! All beliefs about supernatural matters are valid, and all actions driven by supernatural beliefs MUST be legal! :p

:)

I think I'll found the First Church of Bank Robbers and Associated Outlaws(TM). It's going to be Mega!

And if the authorities try to stop us, we'll burn the heretics! Our good book says it's okay.

Seriously though, so much US religion is a self-serving joke.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Props to the governor for not following the herd only doing what is politically correct. If I have objections to making a wedding cake for a gay couple government should have the right to force me to do it. Go someplace else where I'm sure another baker would be more than happy to satisfy the request. The marketplace should decide these things not government.

I agree with you. The Gay community talks about tolerance and understanding but at the same time they have no tolerance towards people who disagree with them. IMO people should be free to say or believe whatever they like so long as they don't exercise that right through force or violence. As the man says if you don't like it go live somewhere else or go shop somewhere else.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
So the way I read this is that employers can now legally fire gays and lesbians because they're gay and lesbian, without cause other than their sexual orientation?

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
I read the statement issued by the Governor and apparently this has nothing to do with discrimination. It's simply about upholding people's rights to religious freedom. That seems reasonable to me.

Reading and understanding are two different things. You think it would be reasonable if a restaurant manager said "sorry, you two are fine customers, but because you are gay, you offend my religion, so you have to leave"??

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Pending legislation will mandate pink triangles on drivers license.

Or actual gaydar
Gaydar.jpg

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
So the way I read this is that employers can now legally fire gays and lesbians because they're gay and lesbian, without cause other than their sexual orientation?

As long as they can claim it infringes on their religious freedom. So, yes, you can hide behind the bible to be a bigot.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Ummm...that's what this law allows. A restaurant can say "you two are gay, you offend my religion, therefore get out." That will only be the beginning. I hope you can understand the difference.

The examples we have don't show that. The truth is people are being penalized for disagreeing and not wanting to support someone's ideology. People don't refuse service to someone because they have an ideology, people refuse service because they themselves don't want to support the ideology.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/c...or-refusing-to-host-same-sex-wedding-at-their
http://www.startribune.com/272282461.html
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014...ing-cakes-undergo-sensitivity-training-after/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/07/supreme-court-gay-wedding-photography_n_5104699.html
http://www.christianpost.com/news/c...dding-because-it-would-break-gods-law-124786/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/04/washington-florist-gay-wedding_n_3866614.html
http://www.kentucky.com/2012/11/26/2421990/city-rules-hands-on-originals.html

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Sounds like if your a Muslim business you can deny not only Homosexuals but Christians and women "not dressed properly" as well.

Athiests can deny Catholic women who are properly dressed Nuns as well if they feel "threatened" by them.

Gotta love Indiana... :eek:

;)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

And then that shows up on the news or in social media and people start boycotting this business. If people are really offended by it business will drop off.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
I agree with you. The Gay community talks about tolerance and understanding but at the same time they have no tolerance towards people who disagree with them.
Um, being unaccepting of the notion that you should cease to exist is not a form of intolerance. That's like accusing the Jews of being intolerant because those blond-haired blue-eyed boys didn't want them around no more.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
How about you go someplace else. If you run a business that is open to the public, and have objections to conducting said business with a certain arbitrary group of the population, then move to a country where the government is run by religion. Here in the US, we generally try to have separation of church and state. Try conducting your business in Nigeria - Boko Haram would agree with your views.

What we have is a government that is not allowed to establish a federal religion and must allow for the free practice of religion. Anything beyond that is made up.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Reading and understanding are two different things. You think it would be reasonable if a restaurant manager said "sorry, you two are fine customers, but because you are gay, you offend my religion, so you have to leave"??

So you don't support freedom of association?

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
I agree with you. The Gay community talks about tolerance and understanding but at the same time they have no tolerance towards people who disagree with them. IMO people should be free to say or believe whatever they like so long as they don't exercise that right through force or violence. As the man says if you don't like it go live somewhere else or go shop somewhere else.

Seriously? Are you kidding me!? The gay community isn't asking for special treatment. They are asking for sexual preference to be ignored when conversations, decisions, and treatment is being made.

Christians are usually the most intolerable to others. I used to work at a retail store that changed their black friday ad to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" and the Christian community got pissed off and refused to shop there.

People who live their life for religion instead of living their life with religion are idiots and most are hypocrites.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I'm sorry, but what religious belief prevents you from serving a danish to a Muslim, or a cake to a gay person for that matter?

Everyone here is assuming that this means that Christians will not serve gays for simply being gay. While many Christians believe homosexuality is wrong, there is no religious belief that I know of that says you can't provide them with basic services.

This law was intended to protect the inevitable situation where a gay couple asks a priest to marry them (which is a religious belief that many Christians would have an issue with) and he is forced to do so. And don't tell me that that won't happen.

Part of the reason for this over-the-top reaction of a law is that (as evidenced here) there are people who want to destroy religion (i'm surprised that there have been no Flying Spaghetti Monster references yet). And as odd as it seems, homosexuality has become the tool of choice for many of these people.

I'm not saying that I support this law. My view is that in areas where we have strong differences of opinion, one should be tolerant. I have no issue with working with, hiring, or having a close personal friend that is gay. But, you have to know that people who have a religious faith are scared that this will open the doors for government to tell churches what they can believe. And that I understand.

TOTAL BS. The reality is, states that have legalized same sex marriage have done so at the level of STATE-provided marriages. That's why you hear about lines of people outside of COURT HOUSES when a state legalizes gay marriage. And states that have legalized gay marriage have included SPECIFIC language in their laws that makes clear that churches are NOT required to perform gay marriages if that congregation finds it incompatible with their belief system.

No, the reality is, this is all about codifying discrimination. It IS about making it "ok" for a private business owner to deny providing services to someone because of their sexual orientation. These laws have been passed BECAUSE of private businesses refusing business to gays, and legal findings against such practices.

Again I ask, how is allowing someone the free practice of their own religious belief on a personal level, an invitation to allow discrimination against ANYONE ELSE who does not live in a way compatible with that religion? That sounds like ISIS or Boko Haram. Is that what Christians are trying to emulate? It's especially insane, given how Jesus was known as the guy to hang out with and befriend, oh I dunno, prostitutes and such? Disgusting.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
Not that it's right, but 19 other states have this same law:

Alabama
Connecticut
Florida
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Mississippi
Missouri
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Virginia

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.