Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook has explained why the company releases a new iPhone every year, what the device will be like in the future, what he is personally doing to reduce his carbon footprint, and more in a new interview with Brut.

tim-cook-2022-iphone-14.jpg

The brief interview, shot at an Apple data center and solar power facility in Denmark, delves mainly into Cook's opinion on various environmental issues such as "greenwashing." Cook explained that Apple wants to contrast its secrecy about its products with openness about its environmental efforts because it wants to be copied by others. Cook added that Apple still has more work to do in terms of renewable power and use of recycled materials to reach its environmental goals.

When asked if "we really need a new iPhone every year," Cook answered:
I think having an iPhone every year for those people that want it is a great thing. And what we do is we allow people to trade in their phone. And so we then resell that phone if it's still working. And if it's not working, we've got ways of disassembling it and taking the materials to make a new iPhone out of.

The interviewer then asked what the iPhone will be like 20 or 30 years into the future:
I think it'll be carbon neutral. I think obviously it will be way ahead of where it currently is, but I wouldn't want to give you all of our secrets in that regard. I'll just say from an environmental point of view, it'll be carbon neutral.

When asked what Cook does personally to help the environment, he responded:
I do drive an electric car. I try to avoid plastics and plastic bottles. I recycle. I compost. All of these things I try to do, everything I do, I try my best to do something that has a lower carbon footprint.

See the full interview video over on Brut.'s website or TikTok.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Talks the Future of iPhone, Driving an EV, and More in New Interview

Reactions: TheAppleFan2004

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
When asked if "we really need a new iPhone every year," Cook answered:
If I am coming from a 2013 iPhone 5s and want a 2023 model then I'd appreciate the "new iPhone every year".

I'm coming from a 2012 iMac 27" and demand a 2023 iMac 32" when the largest iMac is a 30 month old 2021 iMac 24".
The interviewer then asked what the iPhone will be like 20 or 30 years into the future:
Tech derived from the Vision Pro will form the basis of any new tech 20 or 30 years into the future.

I wouldn't buy a Vision Pro as I do not wear hats or glasses unless it is for health and safety reasons.

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016
I think its pretty obvious we don't need a new phone every year. The schedule is derived from profit maximalism and Apple trying to look good for shareholders, sales at various shopping seasons, etc. If it was slowed to 2 year cycle or even just "whenever it is ready" then sales would be less, but you could still buy "the latest iphone" whenever you want to. In fact you'd have "the latest iphone" even longer bc September would not be the line in the sand it is today.

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
right. Macs are not bringing in enough money so let's get into other things.
The Apple silicon revolution is sputtering so we need to branch out into other products.

If they would only allow external Graphics card box use on Apple Silicon.

Apple's built in graphics cores suck. they are 1 third the performance of a high end PC Graphics card.

everyone knows this.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think its pretty obvious we don't need a new phone every year. The schedule is derived from profit maximalism and Apple trying to look good for shareholders, sales at various shopping seasons, etc. If it was slowed to 2 year cycle or even just "whenever it is ready" then sales would be less, but you could still buy "the latest iphone" whenever you want to. In fact you'd have "the latest iphone" even longer bc September would not be the line in the sand it is today.
Why should a consumer have to wait two years to buy a new phone. It’s obvious that apple has to produce a new phone every year for the consumer and profit maximalism. Apple isn’t trying to look good for shareholders apple does look good to shareholders.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
To be fair, Apple makes an iPhone every year because there are still a lot of people who will upgrade every year regardless of how little changed. If we as consumers are overwhelmingly inclined to keep our phone for at least two years, Apple would be much more incentivized to slow down the pace. But I don't see that happening, even if I agree this yearly upgrade is a bit meaningless for mature products such as the iPhone or the Apple Watch.

Schnegg

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2017
I have a few disagreements with Apple's recent product decisions, but their efforts to reduce carbon footprint are very impressive. This is an area that is decidedly driven by Tim Cook with a positive impact that forces other companies' hands.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
He should ride a bicycle as that’s the most environmentally friendly. he is so boring comforted t0 jobs. Has done nothing for innovation. Just iteration.

And his focus on the plastics over the quality of the software his company is putting out just a dismal failure. They really need to step it up.

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016
Why should a consumer have to wait two years to buy a new phone. It’s obvious that apple has to produce a new phone every year for the consumer and profit maximalism. Apple isn’t trying to look good for shareholders apple does look good to shareholders.
I agree that is obvious, but I think it is more systemic. If there was no such thing as year-over-year analysis for a company, then there wouldn't be a need to have a new product each year. Why should a consumer have to wait two years? It is just as easy to ask "why should they not?"

And as far as apple trying to look good to shareholders vs apple looking good to shareholders, since you are splitting hairs, I will split hairs. If Apple simply looked good with "no effort" that would mean releasing products at whatever schedule they choose. If Apple wants to try to look good, they follow well-established shopping seasons and regular schedules for a product, and will even drop features that aren't panning out in time to meet that schedule. So there's some split hairs for you.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula and mech986

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016
I agree, but keep in mind that every year some people who have phones 3+ years old are looking to upgrade.
I completely agree, many folks have older phones! But alls I'm saying is that it is a paradigm that is not based on sustainability when we've got all new models launching so rhythmically that the rumor mill has already started for the next phones. It is a merry-go-round that is a bit dark.

Reactions: RuralJuror

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Apple has the scale of sales to be able to do all the design and manufacturing changes to launch a new iPhone every year. So I think the schedule is driven more by what is technically possible (new parts) and what is financially feasible (setting up new manufacturing line for the phones, including the Pro model that apparently is only going to be manufactured for one year). And keeping a predictable schedule is useful for consumers so we can plan ahead (something that Apple's secretiveness otherwise makes hard).

I don't think there would be any value to consumers if Apple sat on new tech for an additional year when it could be rolled out in a new iPhone.

Even though I can afford a yearly new iPhone, I went from a 12 to 15 Pro this year, so a three year gap. The wife is standing pat with her 13 Pro. It just seems prudent even though we get a lot of use out of our phones (like most people) and we can afford new phones (especially with the aggressive trade in values being offered by carriers). Wife will probably get the 16 Pro while I inherit her 13 Pro to become my work phone.

Reactions: mech986

TheLunaPark

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2019
England
The board of Apple insists Tim travel by private jet for corporate AND personal travel.

"Carbon neutral" doesn't mean all that much when you're on a Gulfstream V every other day... I too recycle my cans and plastic where applicable.
Reminds me of when Coldplay played two concerts in Glasgow last year. After the first night, Chris Martin was spotted boarding a private jet at a local airport. The jet was tracked back to London and then flew back up to Glasgow the morning after for the second show. The journey could have been done in a car, or even a train if it were not for the late time of night. This is despite all of the fuss made of Coldplay’s environmental beliefs and credentials and how the tour is supposedly put together in the most environmentally friendly way possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.