Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
If I am coming from a 2013 iPhone 5s and want a 2023 model then I'd appreciate the "new iPhone every year".
This. People still can’t seem to shake the notion that not everyone upgrades every single year. I’d venture to guess that MOST people don’t.

The incremental year over year changes may not be stunning and innovative to the person that owns the previous year’s device, but for someone upgrading 4 years later it’s a massive improvement.

Then there is the issue of competition. If Apple went to releasing a new iPhone every two years they would lose sales and market share to manufacturers that release every single year without scrutiny from the press.

Last edited:

Alexfromaz

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2022
Reminds me of when Coldplay played two concerts in Glasgow last year. After the first night, Chris Martin was spotted boarding a private jet at a local airport. The jet was tracked back to London and then flew back up to Glasgow the morning after for the second show. The journey could have been done in a car, or even a train if it were not for the late time of night. This is despite all of the fuss made of Coldplay’s environmental beliefs and credentials and how the tour is supposedly put together in the most environmentally friendly way possible.
The people trying to push things on you are usually the last ones to practice what they preach. I don’t understand how they can live with themselves and their lies (I want to use the word hypocrites but I might get banned for free speech)

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
So much TC hate here?

Why?

To feel better? How long does that last? Fifteen minutes, maybe?
Because his focal areas are not what made apple great and why many of us love the brand. The software has become less polished under him, the designs recycled to older devices, and he isn’t a products guy.
I get making your shareholders, happy, but Steve Jobs was able to do that very easily simply based off of his ability to create desirable products. Tim Cook seems to be able to just try and talk about environmental or LGBTQ related causes. None of these are reasons why I buy into Apple.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
So much TC hate here?

Why?

To feel better? How long does that last? Fifteen minutes, maybe?
It is not hate, these are opinions. People are free to share they disagreement with the things that they dislike. Stop calling everything "hate". Apple is starting to look more as NGO that make phones rather than a tech company...pathetic. The level of social activism TC is imposing on Apple is ridiculous.

davidf18

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
I think its pretty obvious we don't need a new phone every year. The schedule is derived from profit maximalism and Apple trying to look good for shareholders, sales at various shopping seasons, etc. If it was slowed to 2 year cycle or even just "whenever it is ready" then sales would be less, but you could still buy "the latest iphone" whenever you want to. In fact you'd have "the latest iphone" even longer bc September would not be the line in the sand it is today.
Those who are professionals, that need to be contacted by iPhone, it is important for the yearly upgrades because of the vast improvement year over year in the Qualcomm modems (was X65, now X70) and the accompanying RF electronics which were upgraded last year for the iPhone 14 series. Also the iPhone 14 series and later have 2 GPS radios for better localization in settings with interference.

Those of us that live/work in Manhattan and other settings with skyscrapers, subways, below-ground parking garages, congested 5G c-band cell towers from density, go to conferences with density, drive on roads that aren't always interstates, take trains needing access to cell towers for mobile hotspots while working, the yearly upgrades with modem electronics are very important. The same is true of having 2 GPS radios.

This using the Verizon network which has better coverage than the competition.

The newer phones also have improvements in background noise cancellation, improvements in dictation using internal upgraded hardware. The new Apple watches claim to have better dictation as well from an upgraded processor with more neuro hardware.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: klasma and mech986

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I agree that is obvious, but I think it is more systemic. If there was no such thing as year-over-year analysis for a company, then there wouldn't be a need to have a new product each year. Why should a consumer have to wait two years? It is just as easy to ask "why should they not?"
Classic chicken and egg. Many manufacturers update their products yearly. Those that don’t (eg Tesla) sometimes have continuous innovation. In the end for profit consumer oriented companies want to make a buck, one way is to offer an updated product yearly.
And as far as apple trying to look good to shareholders vs apple looking good to shareholders, since you are splitting hairs, I will split hairs. If Apple simply looked good with "no effort" that would mean releasing products at whatever schedule they choose. If Apple wants to try to look good, they follow well-established shopping seasons and regular schedules for a product, and will even drop features that aren't panning out in time to meet that schedule. So there's some split hairs for you.
Yes I think the split hairs are important. Apple looks good to shareholders because they do what they do.

Reactions: mech986

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The board of Apple insists Tim travel by private jet for corporate AND personal travel.

"Carbon neutral" doesn't mean all that much when you're on a Gulfstream V every other day... I too recycle my cans and plastic where applicable.
The trade off is ceo safety vs some pollution. But let’s not be hypocritical I’ll bet some of us burn dinosaurs to get around.

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
Is this the same TimApple Co. that required recyclers to grind iPhones they received rather than allow them to potentially be used for spare parts?? Apple is UNDOUBTEDLY the greatest greenwashing company on the planet. Where is the Apple Fairphone option for buyers who really want to try to minimize carbon footprint (emphasis on "option")?? If Tim/Lisa want to help Octavia (MotherEarth) they need to get the Apple version of the Fairphone to market ASAP.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
This. People still can’t seem to shake the notion that not everyone upgrades every single year. I’d venture to guess that MOST people don’t.
00XK89eWyIC94invt66wuEv-4.fit_lim.size_1600x900.v1569486766.png

Source: https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-2-year-mobile-phone-upgrade-cycle-is-mostly-dead
The incremental year over year changes may not be stunning and innovative to the person that owns the previous year’s device, but for someone upgrades 4 years later it’s a massive improvement.
Feedback from those replacing their 6yo 2017 iPhone X for a 2023 iPhone 15 Pro Max

- BugeyeSTI
- MacCheetah3

If I knew that we'd be in COVID lockdown from Mar 2020 to Mar 2022 I'd have delayed replacing my 2017 iPhone 8 Plus for a 2022 iPhone 14 Pro Max.
Then there is the issue of competition. If Apple went to releasing a new iPhone every two years they would lose sales and market share to manufactures that release every single year without scrutiny from the press.
Apple and other brands are just responding to consumer demand.

If Macs sold 10x what it does now then Mac chip refresh cycle would be every 12 months rather than 19.5 months.

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
The trade off is ceo safety vs some pollution. But let’s not be hypocritical I’ll bet some of us burn dinosaurs to get around.
It's not hypocritical when one is not constantly trying to talk up how green/environmentally friendly they are like how Tim Cook and Apple does.

Plus, when one has the financial means as Cook does, it's much easier to be environmentally friendly than the average working class person.

Doomtomb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
Austin, TX
00XK89eWyIC94invt66wuEv-4.fit_lim.size_1600x900.v1569486766.png

Source: https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-2-year-mobile-phone-upgrade-cycle-is-mostly-dead

Feedback from those replacing their 6yo 2017 iPhone X for a 2023 iPhone 15 Pro Max

- BugeyeSTI
- MacCheetah3

If I knew that we'd be in COVID lockdown from Mar 2020 to Mar 2022 I'd have delayed replacing my 2017 iPhone 8 Plus for a 2022 iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Apple and other brands are just responding to consumer demand.

If Macs sold 10x what it does now then Mac chip refresh cycle would be every 12 months rather than 19.5 months.
I see a lot of people brag on here about how long they had their last iPhone but I think it's still way too short. I upgraded from an 8 Plus to a 15. That's six years old but I didn't even use the 8+ that long, I was on a 6S+ before that. Like people are giving themselves a pat on the back for trading in their 11 or 12 for a 14 or 15. The only meaningful changes are the CPU - which you really won't notice that much, the camera and possibly the screen but even that is running out of steam. The main thing is the battery won't last long beyond 3 years.

CosmoCopus

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
“I do drive an electric car. I try to avoid plastics and plastic bottles. I recycle. I compost. All of these things I try to do, everything I do, I try my best to do something that has a lower carbon footprint.”

…says the guy who flies around the world in a private jet. Yeah that’s really trying hard.

Last edited:

xmach

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2020
I’m willing to bet the electric car is not one from Musk & Co.
that's a good question -- is it publicly known what type of EV Tim drives?

There are many Apple employees who own Teslas. Tim might be one of them, but it seems possible he might prefer a different brand (Lucid? Porsche? Rivian?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.