Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'You Will See Us Do More in the Pro Area'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 28, 2017.

1. mavericks7913 macrumors 6502

WHAT? They already abandoned pro markets for a long time especially Mac Pro which is a piece of junk. Most softwares are supporting Windows 10 not MacOS. Hardware performance is low, too expansive, and not reliable because of Mac Pro 2013.

2. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Well. MacDailyNews says iPad Mini Pro is coming and that all the models to be revealed will be called Pro.

*facepalm*

3. agentx macrumors member

Many of our High end Pro users have moved to W10/HP440 workstations get 2 for price of 1 Mac Pro and better performance. They still have Retina MBP in field but they will be replaced with Dell XPS 15inch as again get 2 for price of 1 new MBP.

4. JMacHack macrumors 6502

Here's hoping the long delay in updates is because Cook learned that the trashcan design was a mistake, and they're totally reworking the Mac Pro, while relegating the trashcan to Mac mini status.

5. MacQork macrumors newbie

MacQork

After they introduced the new colours for the iPhone and made a big deal out of it the "steve's gone, only maximising profits remains" started to grow on me, then the iPhone and the iPhone+ isn't a big deal per se, but why does the plus have a better camera and more RAM? Now rumours about the iPhone edition... Why is the Apple we all love, that provided one device, their best possible device. One line, one product, one price (may differ with storage). I need to upgrade from my iPhone 5s this year, because I really need a new one to keep my workflow, and as I will be starting my internships I need a device that's quick and stable. If Apple releases the 7s with same design, and same price as the 7 now, and then make the iPhone Edition the iPhone everyone really wants then I have lost my faith in Apple becoming the company I so once loved. Their software for me is just irreplaceable, that's why I'll keep buying Apple for now. We'll see what the future brings. I have been hoping for a huge setback for Apple, either in terms of Microsoft or any other company flat-out outperforming Apple design-wise and quality-wise (Hardware AND Software) so they get back on their feet and go back to their roots of making awesome products people want, and buy even if with a huge margin. I've been having this feeling of getting ripped of by Apple for too long now, let's hope it changes

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Amen.

They should return to the prior "cheese grater" design and update the internals as necessary to support modern tech.

7. JMacHack macrumors 6502

I love my 2010 cheese grater, with a few hardware upgrades it's still perfect for my needs in 2017. Frankly though it's not going to last forever, and by the time it does need replaced I'm hoping Apple has a new Mac Pro model.

I dunno that I'd chalk the delays up to malice though, there's a lot of tomfoolery that goes on between Apple, Intel, and their providers that would make an Apple-quality product take a long time to make.

8. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Let's put this another way. Suppose that in 2017 Apple was still charging $700 for the iPhone 5s with its 4" screen, maximum 64GB of storage (16GB in the standard model) and no NFC chip for Apple Pay, but they announced, "We are committed to our mobile customers." Meanwhile Samsung is selling the Galaxy S7, there's the OnePlus 3, even the Moto G4. How would that make iPhone users feel?

9. ClassicMartini macrumors newbie

ClassicMartini

10. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

Intel and Nvidia are still currently the highest standard for desktop professional applications. I don't understand why people care about AMD for GPU and CPU other than price. Apple's products have never been the "CHEAP" alternative to computing, for Apple to use AMD products just means we are paying a premium price for cheaper hardware alternative.

Also RYZEN is a great value, and seems great for Watts used, but is that a "PRO" feature? Anything other than INTEL and NVIDIA doesn't make much "PRO" sense.

11. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

the apple zealot commune seems to have taken on quite a few AMD zealots too. have had "fun" debate with some. usually broke down to well you haven't tried the newest stuff so how can you judge AMD rabble rabble stuff.

I have over $1200 wasted in RMA nightmares that went past return deadlines on AMD GPU's, I gave 2 chances with 2 mid to high end cards for a fair hunk of change. They messed it up. Unless forced like with MBP...there won't be a 3rd try. I'd happily buy an Nvidia based MBP if offered.

they will also say well FCP is coded to be optimized for open cl. Weak argument to me...FCP is due for a massive recode anyway imo , lets throw in Nvidia cuda as well. Its been version 10 for a loooong time...lets do a version 11 with earth shattering changes.

that and how many users actually use FCP versus how many users use Adobe/Avid/etc that would say oh look, you have an NVidia chip, you have X cores....would you like me to use them? See avid and abode and others pick up former apple peeps all the time. I know many video people who left and aren't looking back. Any real or imaginary benefits to FCP on apple hardware apple thinks will keep many happy....is just not working as well as it used to.

My growing concern with the apple ecosystem. Why is it there? to run our stuff better. What if we aren't running your stuff? Well you should. Well if you cared to advance your product as much as avid and adobe do...I'd say fair enough. 6 years...surely there has to be a white board at apple with enough ideas to say you know what, this is green lit, go forth and make this version 11 the shot heard round the (video) world.

12. Bacillus macrumors 65816

Bacillus

That point was valid if they safeguarded the billions that Mac users invested over the years and divested that in a separate CPU company.
    But they threw it away into the pond so huge they can't oversee/meaningfully spend it

13. acecombs macrumors newbie

Industry commitments in the creative fields are like railroad right-of-ways. Once they're abandoned you can never reclaim them. Once Apple abandoned Nvidia and the proprietary CUDA architecture they effectively abandoned the CGI market--the hoops you have to jump through to run Nvidia cards are ridiculous. The Nvidia 1080 has an amazing price/performance ratio and it runs on pre-trash can Macs--in BootCamp. Any "halo" or "cool kids" side-effect from the once-dominant share of the creative markets is gone. Tim Cook is the Steve Ballmer of Apple--a bean-counter without any vision.

14. Bacillus, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 65816

Bacillus

He sure is and his pathetic attitude towards anything that has to do with computers is going to hurt his iDevice vision (or maybe I should say platitude) where it comes to AR.
    By the lack of capable graphics, Apple is nowhere near to implement anything Tim envisions (or should I say dreams about) and I am afraid he is just fashion-talking out of his neck, with a pipeline (or should I say vacuum cleaner hose) that contains nothing even remotely interesting or compelling.
    What an absolute disaster is this guy. He should be removed from office tomorrow (or rather tonight)

15. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

16. toke lahti macrumors 68000

Maybe Apple is now designing its own gpu and by using not powerful gpus now, they lower the curve of power loss after they start using their own?